OST Dyno - TH w/Hellraiser Pulley - Tuning Results - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 18 Old 01-12-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

OST Dyno - TH w/Hellraiser Pulley - Tuning Results

We recently had a Trackhawk in to perform a series of performance modifications and custom OST Dyno PCM and TCM tuning.

In this test segment we installed a Litens "Hellraiser" 2.72 upper pulley.
We also applied the standard OST Dyno PCM and TCM tuning (also available via email tuning - https://ostdyno.com/tuning-options/r...-and-policies/ )

The results were very impressive - look at the gains across the entire RPM range!
Keep in mind that this was on 93 octane. Tuning with race fuel or E85 would have yielded even more impressive gains.

This is a perfect example of why "peak" horsepower numbers can be misleading.
Peak power gains over a stock Trackhawk w/OST custom tuning are not as impressive as the AWHP gains across the entire RPM range - This is what will win races, not peak HP.

Initial testing covered in a previous post involved this same Trackhawk in completely stock form followed by OST Dyno custom PCM tuning.
See those results here: https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/...t-results.html

Stay tuned for future posts where we will cover the results of our testing on this same Trackhawk with:
1. OST Level 2 package

We have been selling, installing and tuning our 6.2 Hemi modification packages since 2015 with excellent results. We have also been selling these same packages for Trackhawks to shops and customers since early 2018. https://ostdyno.com/hellcat-performance/

We were fortunate enough to have a customer willing to drop off his Trackhawk for a week so that we could individually test each of our packages in-depth on this platform. We have been remote tuning Trackhawks around the globe for almost a year but have not had this opportunity to take one individual vehicle and apply all of our packages to have an accurate basis for results. This is the same strategy we previously used on our shop Hellcat which has allowed us to develop highly accurate PCM and TCM tuning packages used on 100's of Hellcats and Demons around the world.

Step 1:
Our first test was to establish a baseline for this completely stock Trackhawk.

Step 2:
We then applied the OST Dyno PCM and TCM tuning to the completely stock Trackhawk.

Step 3:
Install a Litens 2.72 Hellraiser pulley, pin the crank, applied OST Dyno PCM and TCM tuning

Added bonus:
With our Mustang AWD dyno we are also able to perform 1/4 mile testing.
In 2wd mode the test results from our dyno for 1/4 mile pulls are generally within .1 - including cars as quick as 8 seconds in the 1/4.
In 4wd mode all the vehicles we have attempted 1/4 mile tests with were too powerful to secure to the dyno for accurate test results (i.e. 1400+ crank HP). The 1/4 mile results are unverified until we test this Trackhawk in the Spring when our local tracks open.

We did use the Performance Pages to record results in our 1/4 mile testing. The ET's displayed were always .2 or more quicker than what the dyno was showing. We have been informed by remote tuning customers that run their Trackhawks at the drag strip that the Performance Pages results are generally within .05-.1 but have not verified this personally.

Our test results are as follows: (dyno graphs below)
1. Stock
- All Wheel HP = 553
- 1/4 mile ET on the dyno = 11.85
- 1/4 mile ET on Performance Pages = 11.6

2. Stock w/OST Dyno PCM and TCM Tuning
- All Wheel HP = 622 (60+ AWHP gain)
- 1/4 mile ET on the dyno = 11.6
- 1/4 mile ET on Performance Pages = 11.4

3. Hellraiser 2.72 w/OST Dyno PCM and TCM Tuning (dyno graphs below)
- All Wheel HP = 664 (look at the gains across the board!)
- 1/4 mile ET on the dyno = 11.0
- 1/4 mile ET on Performance Pages = 10.7

Test Subject:

Dyno graphs comparing Stock vs. Stock w/OST Tuning vs. Hellraiser pulley w/OST Tuning

beerman, Broken98 and ROCKETW19 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-12-2019, 03:57 PM

Wow!! Stock injectors, and just a 2.72" upper (I assume a new, properly sized belt as well) and you picked up that?! On 93?!

Great gains, Mike.

Quick ?: Why is pinning the crank necessary when you're keeping the stock lower pulley/balancer assembly? I'm new to the HC engine family, so I just don't know. Thx.

Current Stable:
'18 Billet Silver Trackhawk
'02 Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Z06
'11 Corvette ZR1
'14 Audi SQ5
post #3 of 18 Old 01-12-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA 2 FST View Post
Wow!! Stock injectors, and just a 2.72" upper (I assume a new, properly sized belt as well) and you picked up that?! On 93?!

Great gains, Mike.

Quick ?: Why is pinning the crank necessary when you're keeping the stock lower pulley/balancer assembly? I'm new to the HC engine family, so I just don't know. Thx.
Thanks and yes, it is impressive.

We have seen numerous completely stock Hellcat lower pulleys that showed signs of spinning when we removed them to replace with an ATI lower. So even if a customer only wants to install an upper pulley (Metco or Hellraiser) we insist on pinning the crank. Here is a thread my son Micah started on this exact issue. The thread went sideways after a few pages but if you read his first post in the thread you will understand why we take this stance:
https://www.hellcat.org/threads/anot...thread.222433/
WA 2 FST and ROCKETW19 like this.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 PM

I'll be pinning my crank when the ATI lower goes on in a few weeks. Cannot wait to see what Mike can do with it once we get some boost to play with!
post #5 of 18 Old 01-12-2019, 11:09 PM

Garage
Mike, what is stage 2 over the 2.72? Injectors, thermostat and more HP (timing)?

2018 Trackhawk as my DD - makes me giggle everyday to and from work.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-13-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
Mike, what is stage 2 over the 2.72? Injectors, thermostat and more HP (timing)?
Our Level 2 Package includes an ATI 10% overdrive lower pulley, a Metco upper pulley system with the choice of a 2.65, 2.75 or 2.85 pulley, appropriate belt, ID1050x injectors, a 180 thermostat and definitely not more timing

The results for this combo, which is our biggest seller, is even more impressive. Stay tuned for our post on that upgrade.

On this particular Trackhawk we used the 2.85 upper and tuned it for 93 octane and will provide a race fuel tune as well when we take it to the track in the Spring.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-OSTDyno View Post
Our Level 2 Package includes an ATI 10% overdrive lower pulley, a Metco upper pulley system with the choice of a 2.65, 2.75 or 2.85 pulley, appropriate belt, ID1050x injectors, a 180 thermostat and definitely not more timing

The results for this combo, which is our biggest seller, is even more impressive. Stay tuned for our post on that upgrade.

On this particular Trackhawk we used the 2.85 upper and tuned it for 93 octane and will provide a race fuel tune as well when we take it to the track in the Spring.
Got it. I thought you were using the 2.72" as the basis for your Level 2 in this build. Watching these results with GREAT interest!

2018 Trackhawk as my DD - makes me giggle everyday to and from work.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Are there any advantages between using an ATI or an Innovators West lower pulley? Or is it just personal brand preference? Aside from that, I know that pinning the crank is a must with any mod.

Thanks!
post #9 of 18 Old 01-13-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
Are there any advantages between using an ATI or an Innovators West lower pulley? Or is it just personal brand preference? Aside from that, I know that pinning the crank is a must with any mod.

Thanks!
Overkill, we are ATI dealers and prefer the 10% overdrive vs. the IW which I believe is less than 10%. The IW is a nice unit and many of the shops that we remote tune for prefer this over the ATI. So to answer your question - personal preference and the fact that we buy the ATI's by the dozen.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-14-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-OSTDyno View Post
Overkill, we are ATI dealers and prefer the 10% overdrive vs. the IW which I believe is less than 10%. The IW is a nice unit and many of the shops that we remote tune for prefer this over the ATI. So to answer your question - personal preference and the fact that we buy the ATI's by the dozen.
Thanks Mike! That is good to know on the dampers.

Do you do a lot of E85 conversions on the hellcats?
I have been doing some homework on the pros and cons and there are a lot of mixed reviews. The highest octane available in my area is 91, but there 3 gas stations that carry E85 within 5 miles radius of where I live.

I think we all know the positives with running E85, but here are some of the cons that I have learned so far.
There may be issues with cold starts or sometimes even hot starts, and I like to use the remote start on cold days.
Have to change the oil more often ~ 2,500-3,000 miles (Someone on the hellcat forum said it can eat thru piston rings over time, is that true?)
Will burn thru fuel ~30% faster so more frequency in fill ups, but in my area it is cheaper than regular unleaded.

Besides having to upgrade the injectors, will the rest of the stock fuel system (fuel pump) handle the demands of running E85? I read there is no fuel filter on the HCs and THs, not sure if that is true.

I am just trying to learn as much as possible, and keep my DD dependable.
Thank you for your time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page