TrackHawk Break in? - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Question TrackHawk Break in?

I should recieve Delivery of my Trackhawk this week, and was wondering if anyone has a recommended engine break in method? I'm new to Hemi's and supercharged motors. I know some people argue no special break in methods anymore for late model engines, but I grew up doing the routine on my previous rides.

Much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Idk if there’s any argument to be had, there’s a break in procedure provided my the manufacturer in the manual. You either follow it or don’t, in the end it’s your vehicle, do whatever you want with it.
I chose to follow the procedure because I’m planning on holding onto this for a while.

FYI, there’s a thread called break in (I think) that has the excerpt from the manual.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieT View Post
I should recieve Delivery of my Trackhawk this week, and was wondering if anyone has a recommended engine break in method? I'm new to Hemi's and supercharged motors. I know some people argue no special break in methods anymore for late model engines, but I grew up doing the routine on my previous rides.

Much appreciated
Ha the most heated debate since 9mm or 45cal you will get both sides. Me personally ask what is there to brake in? we have roller rockers - the motor has been heat cycled at the factory so pistons are set we can go on and on but the one thing thats way over my head someone brought up was the metal is the gears(rear end). have they been heat cycled? I know if you get gears installed new in a car there is special oil and how long how fast to drive etc and change the oil out in 100 miles. I would like to think thats all done at the factory but no clue?

Building a new motor for a Harley you have to heat cycle it and brake it in slow let the pistons score the cylinders etc of you will be blowing smoke from the oil getting past the pistons.
buying a Harley off the show room floor you just drive it like you want no need for that its already done.
so I assume same with cars? I just drove mine right out of the dealership pretty hard. no track runs but I played with it I have 3000 miles now zero problems?

I think best to just do what makes you feel the best. No right or wrong when it comes to your stuff.
post #4 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Hemi, and Rocket. I downloaded the manual in lieu of having the TH yet, and read the break in section. Surprising a bit more detailed then I've seen in other owner's manual. It reads a bit conservative on the Break In, but that's okay with me. Rocket brings up a good point about the variances of what people define as "Break In", and what to do. I've used break in motor oil on a few performance motor builds that the custom motor builders insisted on, and changed/refilled at 30, 100, 200 miles. On the other hand I've listened to experienced knowledgeable engineers explain no break in needed. Just thought I'd ask opinions, and agree that I want to hang on to my TH for years of seat planting joy.
ROCKETW19 likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19 View Post
Ha the most heated debate since 9mm or 45cal you will get both sides.

Well the US military switched from 45's to 9's back in the early 80's. Another mistake. Enough said!
post #6 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 09:12 AM

In the past 15 years, I've bought 4 new Vettes and 3 GC's (2 SRT's and now a TH) First 500 miles I took it pretty easy on all of them. No FT starts and I'd try to keep the max RPM's down to under ~4k at all times. Between 500 and 1000 miles, I'd push them a bit more but still no hard launches. After 1000 miles, all bets are off. I have never had any drive train problem and zero oil consumption as long as I kept any of them. My "track times" have been among the best posted for "pure stock" so I have no complaints with these break-ins.

Here's a question to consider about break in periods.

Every wonder why FCA allows launch control to be activated at 500 miles?
Black Track likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Every wonder why FCA allows launch control to be activated at 500 miles?
IMO that silly button is a gimmick. I can launch just as hard without it from day one with 16 miles on TH.
It is a good question why after 500 miles? I think FCA is saving the idiots from crashing. why wouldnt they limit the RPMs for the first 500 miles? why just launch? does anyone even use that thing more then one time? All that way above my pay grade we can guess but never know.

I am just guessing but US military went to 9mm for capacity is my "guess"
post #8 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 PM

I am following the break in suggested by FCA as well since I plan to keep it. Not just for the motor but for the rest of the moving parts that need to break in like hubs, differentials, transmission, transfer, etc...On the other hand, the last motor I built went in the car and on the Dyno and was broke in doing several back to back pulls at redline. It has held up fine for years since with no issues to report.

I carried a Colt 1911 .45 Cal in Desert Storm. I think we changed to the Beretta 9MM shortly after. There were many reasons for the swap including the increase in capacity and basic load, the ability to share with the rest of our NATO allies and it proved to more reliable in testing. Very soon it will change again.
ROCKETW19 likes this.

1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am, 416 Cu. In.
2007 Toyota X-Runner, TRD Supercharged
2007 Tblaze SS, Slammed and Cammed
post #9 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30birdy99 View Post
I am following the break in suggested by FCA as well since I plan to keep it. Not just for the motor but for the rest of the moving parts that need to break in like hubs, differentials, transmission, transfer, etc...On the other hand, the last motor I built went in the car and on the Dyno and was broke in doing several back to back pulls at redline. It has held up fine for years since with no issues to report.

I carried a Colt 1911 .45 Cal in Desert Storm. I think we changed to the Beretta 9MM shortly after. There were many reasons for the swap including the increase in capacity and basic load, the ability to share with the rest of our NATO allies and it proved to more reliable in testing. Very soon it will change again.
did you heat cycle the motor or let the rings seat? or just straight to the dyno?

for accuracy I love 1911 or 2011 style I just shoot them so so so much better then glocks or any other guns. Maybe because its STI and Wilson Combats but if the world came to an end and I could only take 1 hand gun it would be my glock lol funny how that is.
I did have the Beretta 92 way back when they first came out I did shoot it good wouldn't mind trying the new ones.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-24-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30birdy99 View Post
I understand they are staying with a 9mm but switching from Beretta to Sig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in