Jeep Trackhawk Forum banner

INTERCHILLER who has it?

35K views 107 replies 21 participants last post by  Double G 
#1 ·
I was gonna get the SC spacer plates and Lil Hemi sorta bumped me to get the interchiller also. I know what it does didnt and still dont know how. lol I thought is was a maintenance type thing but the owner assured me its set it and forget it. perfect for my DD.
I am just curious of the AC cabin temps? I will get stage 2 where it makes cabin AC work better?
performance gains? any side effects? then just what do you think worth the $ for the whole system or spacers enough?
thanks as always for you time.

#2 ·
So here’s how it goes from my understanding (for those who haven’t heard about this) is that you tap into the A/C refrigerant lines and using the refrigerant to super cool the SC IC fluid. This in turn reduces your intake manifold air temps and prevents the PCM from needing to pull timing due to high IAT numbers. Similar to how the demon uses its AC but due to the additional refrigerant capacity added by the system, there is supposedly no negative effects to the cabin AC.

I’m no expert but this might let you run a smaller pulley also.

Flipfloptrader has their whole setup with additional reservoir but I think he likes to do a lot of drag racing. He seems extremely happy with it.

I got the spacers and thermal blanket from forced induction at first but when I saw how favorable the exchange rates are right now (1:1.46) I pulled the trigger on the interchiller too. I just don’t see a downside as long as it works as advertised.

To put on the spacer plates, the SC has to be pulled entirely, I figure this will give me plenty of room to do my S1025 package at the same time.

#3 ·
yup its how I see it also. Ive seen no bad reports on it so I am ordering the full kit also with the upgraded chiller. thats supposed to increase AC cabin performance. can go wrong there cooler inside the car and intake temps.
Flip flop are you here can you input your thoughts on it now that its been installed awhile?

#6 ·
Best mod you can do, in my opinion.

Seeing the difference in I/C coolant temps and IATs is a real eye opener.

I originally started with their stage 1 kit and that is more than adequate for the occasional trip to the 1/4 mile and everyday driving. You'll see I/C coolant temps in the 50s with cabin and chiller on (read nice and cold AC). When you switch to just chiller (so it's job is to get the I/C coolant temps as low as possible) you'll see anywhere from the 20s to 30s. Your IATs will be at ambient or slightly above.

There are no downsides that I have experienced, only upside.

#9 ·
the owner said about 8 hours to install.
I have zero clue what any of it looks like. but AC is prob the most important thing in the car to me (I am always hot) I def dont want to mess that up.
but if you have the skill you can save $1000 bucks easy.
Im sure I could do it but I would second guess myself the whole time. ill pay lol.

#12 ·
FYI that I did the spacer when I installed the S1025. I ran a comparison between my car and a similarly modded charger (multiple days) and recorded temps at start, during driving, before and after pulls, at stop and after 15 minutes of being parked). I understand cars are not the same but they have same engine and mods. My recap is that I could not come up with a conclusive decision that it helped temperatures significantly (more than a few degrees) other than after it has been parked for a while.

I do believe however that this mod does increase boost/horsepower so I am overall happy with it.

#13 ·
Interesting on the spacer. would you buy it again? Did you give any thoughts to the chiller itself? I was gonna do just spacers and the lil Hemi wanted to make me spend money (like I did to him) so now I am getting the chiller and maybe spacers ?
if the SC has to be taken off to install the chiller I will get spacers for sure. if chiller goes on with out SC being lifted out I might pass for now.

#16 ·
I would buy it again if I am at the point of installing upgrades that require messing with the SC as the cost is not much and the extra hp makes it worth it.
If not, I do not think I would and my friend with charger who had bought them as well sold them as he felt it was not worth the hassle of pulling the SC.

I did consider the interchiller but reading the many potential issues and large cost, it was clear IMHO that it's not worth doing for the few times I go to the track. On the streets and I am in Florida, the car is pretty efficient at going down below an IAT of 140 after a WOT run. Been on the track now a few times and my time has been really consistent (with a tenth) on all my runs with IATs ranging from 120 to 150.

#17 ·
I did consider the interchiller but reading the many potential issues and large cost, it was clear IMHO that it's not worth doing for the few times I go to the track. On the streets and I am in Florida, the car is pretty efficient at going down below an IAT of 140 after a WOT run. Been on the track now a few times and my time has been really consistent (with a tenth) on all my runs with IATs ranging from 120 to 150.

Just highlighting this bit emericr....what issues have you seen? I've seen at least a dozen THs with the chiller and zero issues.

Install is probably best left for serious mechanics or at least competent and then you'll need an AC tech to recharge the system. However for say $2500 installed, for me, you won't find a better mod that increases longevity of the blower and increases performance.

A TH recently with a whipple saved 3/10ths with just the interchiller vs old setup.

#18 ·
I had the chiller and stage 2 installed. Was the first TH to do so and a big learning curve on the install -- but very pleased with it. Just driving yesterday with chiller on, high UK humiFdity, and playing a bit on the highway IC fluid temp was 102F. Clicked on the stage two bit, and went from 102F to 57F while cruising. (sitting at idle I have had IC fluid down to 11f)

Blanket and spacers install next week.

If nothing else, keeping running temps down I think is a good thing, and quicker recovery if I ever do make it to the strip.

AC cabin temps is still ridiculously cold when running normal chiller.

Reactions: ROCKETW19
#24 ·
Interchiller on stock engine??

Hi,
I have thought about installing the total interchiller packages but I have not done it. I have a stock engine and bought the the 120k mile extended warranty. Putting on this mod should only end my ac compressor warranty and nothing else. I have yet to see any info on power improvements on a stock engine. Seems that all I read about is the interchiller with other mods. Spacer plates could end my engine warranty so that's out.
Can anyone give info on performance improvements from this mod, on an otherwise stock engine?
Thanks
Doug

#25 ·
Doesn’t sound like this is for you. To my knowledge, there aren’t any power gains to be seen by this modification, it’s more like it keeps you from loosing power due to heat. If you value your warranty, then I would advise you to not modify the vehicle beyond intake, exhaust and esthetics.

#29 ·
The issue is that since no shops here can estimate the time so one told me at least 8 hours and the other at least 12 and both throw the disclaimer that it can be double that as they do not know what they are getting into.
So I counted 15 hours @ 100/hr + sales tax + shop fees = 1,700, 500 for refrigerant fill up, 1,800 for basic unit shipped to my door = $4K. best case scenario is $3K.
For some, it's worth it, for me, I would rather spend it on axles and dr's as this will gain me the same performance edge and not mess with the OEM AC system

#30 ·
Yes I have it and love it. I HAVE noticed it takes a few extra minutes to get the cabin cooled off when its really hot / humid out but not something anyone would notice if they had not ran it before the install.

In fact it still cools off faster than my previous vehicle and most rental cars I have been in.

I did not get it to add HP, although we did end up with about 15 - 20 more HP than TH with the same mods but no interchiller. That could of course just be dyno differences or operator.

I mainly got it because I have had various SRT engines since 2006 and one thing I always HATED was how sluggish they were in the summer compared to the winter. Now I know this one is a bit different with forced induction but I still wanted to be 100% sure the power I put down stayed similar all year long.

And that it does... 0-60 has stayed within a tenth since it was installed. Going from average daily temps of 40 to 95....

#34 ·
Yes I want to keep the power it has also. yours was tuned with the chiller on so you have got all the goodness out of yours already.
It has to add power. the spacers move the intake temp sensor so less heat on it gives the tuner more timing to mess with. there is nothing like a cold morning blast you have that all the time now.
I will go stage 2 if the cabin AC isnt same as now or better. I am hot all the time I need my AC or less PEDs. lmao.
whats your thoughts on stage 2? pure racing only or other then cabin AC do you think it will help us any more? or stage 1 cools enough?

#41 ·
yea I watched that video. I have a drop of oil in my catch can. there isnt much blow by in these or mine isnt yet at least lol. that did help me make up my mind on spacers though. it was a 2 for 1 deal. better seal and less heat. spacers are a must for us I think the interchiller maybe not so much but spacers for sure. big modded guys or racers def go interchiller just my thoughts on it

#42 ·
I know he said blow by in the video but I don’t think that’s the same as cylinder blow by that creates pressure vented by the PCV into the intake where your catch can would be in line. I get a few tablespoons or so every 6k miles in mine, I hear that if you put one on the driver’s side there is minimal oil caught though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.