Tune Only - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 06-28-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Tune Only

I was thinking of just dipping my toe in the water first with a PCM and TCM tune. It seems most people go all in with pulleys and more serious packages. I figured the most important thing would be to pick the right tuner up front so at least the PCM (planning on getting a second one) can be reused and possible future mods would just be tacked on without wasting money (aside from the cost of the tune). Right now I have just a drop in green filter but would also look to get the 180* thermostat which would need tuning to work properly. Has anyone on here gone with the tune only route? I wouldn’t mind hearing from tuners and their thoughts and experiences.

Tom
post #2 of 33 Old 06-28-2019, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

tunes cost to much to just tune then add parts later and have to pay for the tune all over again. Not sure how much a tune alone will let you gain prob not enough to even feel but I really dont know. Id add something with it or leave it be JUST my opinion though

what yea got color options etc? Pictures? Welcome to the board
post #3 of 33 Old 06-28-2019, 10:22 PM

Do a search for OST-Dyno on here. They picked up ~60whp AND tq with just an engine and trans tune. Rev limiter is bumped 500rpm, which helps get some extra power up top, as well.

I have been _very_ tempted to do the same... 180^ t-stat, PCM and TCM tune. But the warranty is gone (even if you swap the PCM back to the stocker... I believe dealer software can tell), so at that point, might as well do a pulley, at least and pick up another 40+whp/tq, right?

Current Stable:
'18 Billet Silver Trackhawk
'02 Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Z06
'11 Corvette ZR1
'14 Audi SQ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 06-28-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19 View Post
tunes cost to much to just tune then add parts later and have to pay for the tune all over again. Not sure how much a tune alone will let you gain prob not enough to even feel but I really dont know. Id add something with it or leave it be JUST my opinion though

what yea got color options etc? Pictures? Welcome to the board

Thanks! 2018 True Blue Pearl, Black interior. The only cost options were the satin black wheels and pano roof. I will try to post some pics.

It seems one of the biggest improvements is tuning the TCM to allow the car to shift at 6,600 RPM. That extra 600 RPM lets the supercharger get a little more boost up top. If you believe the dynos it looks like 20+ whp just from that on a tuned car. But that is in conjunction with the ECM tune to tell the computer not bleed off that extra boost. It looks like some tuners have gotten 60+ whp through the combined tuning. That would pacify more short term.

My wife has been patient with me and my addiction. I have probably spent $50K over our ten year marriage modifying my cars. So I kind of promised I would not tinker too much with this one.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-28-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA 2 FST View Post
Do a search for OST-Dyno on here. They picked up ~60whp AND tq with just an engine and trans tune. Rev limiter is bumped 500rpm, which helps get some extra power up top, as well.

I have been _very_ tempted to do the same... 180^ t-stat, PCM and TCM tune. But the warranty is gone (even if you swap the PCM back to the stocker... I believe dealer software can tell), so at that point, might as well do a pulley, at least and pick up another 40+whp/tq, right?
Exactly what I was looking at as far as the tuning potential.

As far as the warranty, I believe in paying to play so long as it was the aftermarket parts’ fault. But most manufacturers void warranties without trying to prove anything. It is in direct violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for them to deny warranty coverage in such a way. But fighting a behemoth with hordes of attorneys is pointless. I Would try to swap back the PCM when servicing and hope to avoid getting flagged. But if I did, I would cash in my Mopar maintenance and extended warranty and go all in on pulley package.
WA 2 FST likes this.
post #6 of 33 Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Wait.... what? I’m super lost on the last post.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-29-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Hemi View Post
Wait.... what? I’m super lost on the last post.
What part? I purchased a Mopar extended warranty and maintenance. If they are going to void the factory warranty, I can get a cash refund on the unused portion of those two plans which would then go toward doing a pulley upgrade.
post #8 of 33 Old 06-29-2019, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

I don’t see you getting a prorated warranty refund but u never know until u try.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-29-2019, 12:57 PM

Tom, I am guessing you found the post I was referring to, but in case someone else wants an answer without searching:

https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/...t-results.html
Tom C likes this.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-29-2019, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Thanks! 2018 True Blue Pearl, Black interior. The only cost options were the satin black wheels and pano roof. I will try to post some pics.

It seems one of the biggest improvements is tuning the TCM to allow the car to shift at 6,600 RPM. That extra 600 RPM lets the supercharger get a little more boost up top. If you believe the dynos it looks like 20+ whp just from that on a tuned car. But that is in conjunction with the ECM tune to tell the computer not bleed off that extra boost. It looks like some tuners have gotten 60+ whp through the combined tuning. That would pacify more short term.

My wife has been patient with me and my addiction. I have probably spent $50K over our ten year marriage modifying my cars. So I kind of promised I would not tinker too much with this one.
60HP is a large bump for tune only. i would have never guessed that much, but I still wouldnt do it, lol you already know you are going to add more. your gonna pay again for the tune so might as well toss in that pulley now. thats just me of coarse do as you please with your cars.
your wife knows what you spend on cars? LMAO your nuts sleep with one eye open

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page