School Me on Flex - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 18Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 09-06-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

School Me on Flex

As many of you know, I am slapping a magnuson2650 on my truck... So it has been away since June. I am finally getting her back soon, and was planning to run a flex fuel tune.....

I post this stuff on my instagram, and I got more than a handful of messages saying..... Careful with flexfuel in the hawk as its not a real flex....

So than what is it? Do they tune for certain parameters and let the ECU handle it ? Does it change the tune based on what %e you are or is it done by pulling timing from knock.

Me and the shop performing my work, have gone back and forth and done a bit of research. And we both can find evidence of both answers.

Is it better to have to diff tunes? and never mix the fuel? I really like flex as im gonna drive this baby from NJ to Florida and e85 is scarce along i95....

You dont even have to answer me you can just tell me to go read a website..... But i am VERY confused lol
post #2 of 44 Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 AM

The only ones who have real flex figured on the Hellcats is Livernois
post #3 of 44 Old 09-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWGW View Post
As many of you know, I am slapping a magnuson2650 on my truck... So it has been away since June. I am finally getting her back soon, and was planning to run a flex fuel tune.....

I post this stuff on my instagram, and I got more than a handful of messages saying..... Careful with flexfuel in the hawk as its not a real flex....

So than what is it? Do they tune for certain parameters and let the ECU handle it ? Does it change the tune based on what %e you are or is it done by pulling timing from knock.

Me and the shop performing my work, have gone back and forth and done a bit of research. And we both can find evidence of both answers.

Is it better to have to diff tunes? and never mix the fuel? I really like flex as im gonna drive this baby from NJ to Florida and e85 is scarce along i95....

You dont even have to answer me you can just tell me to go read a website..... But i am VERY confused lol
your TH does take flex fuel not sure why they say it wont? you will need bigger injectors. Maybe thats what they are saying?

the tune will adjust in the computer mine works flawless from 91 oct to pure E85 the power difference is amazing. E85 burns super fast so I end up mixing 91 oct and E85 so I have more HP but dont goto the station every other day. long trips i use pure 91.

Livernois isnt the only one to have it figured out but they were first and they do have to nailed IMO. If I had your TH and your $ I would take it to them to tune at their shop on the dyno. you are going to have to much power and to many unknowns to trust a mail order tune and a remote tune will take forever.

def dont let someone 'TRY" a flex tune on your monster get just a straight tune first.
DarthCharger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 09-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Pretty sure I saw another tuner doing flex as well. Curt Dusterhoff I think.
post #5 of 44 Old 09-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Hemi View Post
yes he does I am going to change over to him after I port some things.
post #6 of 44 Old 09-06-2019, 12:36 PM

The TH manual says not to use E85, and of course if the PCM and injectors aren't set up for it that makes perfect sense, but I wonder if the rest of the stock fuel system (that does not get swapped out by the performance shop) is really fully and long-term compatible with E85?

2018 Jeep Trackhawk
Previous Rides
2015 Nissan GT-R FBO
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
2005 Lotus Elise Supercharged
2003 BMW M5
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9
1994 Acura NSX Supercharged
1992 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1987 Callaway Twin-Turbo Corvette
post #7 of 44 Old 09-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of hellcats have been running E85 for a long time and I haven’t heard anything yet. True, you can’t put in E85 with stock tune but to my knowledge there are no compatibility issues with the fuel system, don’t even need to upgrade the fuel pump, just the injectors.
post #8 of 44 Old 09-06-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Hemi View Post
Curt Dusterhoff gets my vote! Been talking a lot with him and he knows his stuff. He is real careful too. He will not chance running a small pulley and yanking a bunch of timing out to make it work on pump for a flex tune.

He is also the one that tuned the other magnuson 2650 Trackhawk on a mustang dyno making 904awhp.

Look him up, he'll answer any question you throw at him!
post #9 of 44 Old 09-06-2019, 01:29 PM

Seeing this is so re-assuring. Even after the praise talking with Metraman.

Giving Curt my CC in the next few days on a Flex. Depending on baseline results tonight probably much, much more
post #10 of 44 Old 09-06-2019, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

The PCM unlock and tuning is a large portion of the price, the injectors retail around $1800, upper pulley around 600, I think the lower was about 600 and then it’s just spark plugs and a thermostat. That should get you around 1K hp.

I’m sure Rocket will chime in with similar advice but if you’re going to void your warranty, might as well put some real power parts in there too.

You might look into the interchiller as well.
ROCKETW19 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page