25 mpg? - Jeep TrackHawk Forum

post #1 of 31 Old 06-19-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

25 mpg?

Theres a guy who pulled down 24.9 mpg on a trip to and from virginia. How ridiculous is that 700 horsepower and the economy of a small SUV...

http://allparnews.com/index.php/2015...50-miles-28910

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-19-2015, 08:34 PM

That's pretty awesome.
From experience with a V8, you just need to find that RPM range where you can keep up with traffic and posted speeds and that's all you need to commute, no need to hoon it everywhere.

Plus these engines require so little to get up to posted speeds, can probably say around the 2k rpm mark easily.
post #3 of 31 Old 06-20-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
That's pretty awesome.
From experience with a V8, you just need to find that RPM range where you can keep up with traffic and posted speeds and that's all you need to commute, no need to hoon it everywhere.

Plus these engines require so little to get up to posted speeds, can probably say around the 2k rpm mark easily.
Indeed, like hitting a nail with a sledge hammer. Do you know if FCA has cylinder deactivation tech?

post #4 of 31 Old 06-26-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME View Post
Indeed, like hitting a nail with a sledge hammer. Do you know if FCA has cylinder deactivation tech?
Yeah, but they call it "Multi Displacement System"

Disabled 4 cylinders which is perfect for city driving and just about all low power requirements, and when Cayenne Turbo S owners are trying to pick on you.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-17-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, but they call it "Multi Displacement System"

Disabled 4 cylinders which is perfect for city driving and just about all low power requirements, and when Cayenne Turbo S owners are trying to pick on you.
no its not city driving, its highway driving that its good for. able to keep its revs and speed up without dumping fuel down 4 extra cylinders...

post #6 of 31 Old 07-18-2015, 01:49 PM

But even with city driving you don't need all 8 cylinders, it helps for both city driving where power demand from a big power plant is minimal to go with the flow of traffic, which on the highway is also the case... that is, if you're going with the flow of traffic and up to the speed limit.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-20-2015, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
But even with city driving you don't need all 8 cylinders, it helps for both city driving where power demand from a big power plant is minimal to go with the flow of traffic, which on the highway is also the case... that is, if you're going with the flow of traffic and up to the speed limit.
in the city you benefit from more torque low down. Because it walks out of the hole better its better on gas then if it had to whine with only 4 cylinders.

Cylinder deactivation is a highway feature, not a city feature. Its just how the software's been written...

post #8 of 31 Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 PM

Always thought even with those 4 cyls it would be enough to get the vehicle going and up to the sort of speed needed.
post #9 of 31 Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM

I was once able to reach 22 mpg in my 14 SRT. Drove it like Grandma, and never repeated that feat again. I was very happy that my jeep could accomplish that. The highest I ever achieved in my 06 SRT was 15.5 mpg. This was all Highway.

Last edited by greenlight; 07-27-2015 at 12:44 PM.
post #10 of 31 Old 07-28-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight View Post
I was once able to reach 22 mpg in my 14 SRT. Drove it like Grandma, and never repeated that feat again. I was very happy that my jeep could accomplish that. The highest I ever achieved in my 06 SRT was 15.5 mpg. This was all Highway.
That's the beauty of big engines... you could stick within a low RPM range... like 2000RPM and stay with the flow of traffic

But of course with that much power on tap... it's way too tempting to stay in the low range or to go easy on the throttle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page