Help! 2020 X3m Competition or 2018 Trackhawk? - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 8Likes
post #1 of 38 Old 01-12-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Help! 2020 X3m Competition or 2018 Trackhawk?

I know this will be a biased forum, hehe, but seriously, I can get them both for similar pricing, maybe a few thousand more for a new 2018 Trackhawk. From what I read the X3m Competition is 0-60 in the mid 3s range (BMW understates it at 4.0) which puts it up there with the Trackhawk. Won't have the torque the Trackhawk has but will be more refined inside I would think. I love music and I hear the X3m Harmon Kardon is 'okay' but not great. Is the upgraded Trackhawk Harmon Kardon great? I don't care about gas mileage really. I like a comfy interior but understand with a supercar SUV you can only get so much comfort. Reliability is important. Any advice on this important choice? Thanks!
post #2 of 38 Old 01-12-2020, 10:33 PM

It might be a better comparison between the BMW X3m and the Jeep 6.4 GC SRT. They have similar performance numbers... I had a couple of GC SRT's and I could run 0-60 in 4.0 in both of them... Stock TH's are closer to 3.0 in the real world. (3.1's and 3.2's are easy, I've done 3.0 a couple of times.) That's 25% quicker.

Jeep understates their performance numbers too from my experaince. I have had 2 SRT's and 2 TH's, and never had any of them in the shop.

If you want slower and/or cheaper, get a 6.4 SRT or BMW X3m...

Last edited by Car-Guy; 01-12-2020 at 10:46 PM.
post #3 of 38 Old 01-12-2020, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
It might be a better comparison between the BMW X3m and the Jeep 6.4 GC SRT. They have similar performance numbers... I had a couple of GC SRT's and I could run 0-60 in 4.0 in both of them... Stock TH's are closer to 3.0 in the real world. (3.1's and 3.2's are easy, I've done 3.0 a couple of times.) That's 25% quicker.

If you want slower and/or cheaper, get a 6.4 SRT or BMW X3m...

I used to have an 2008 SRT8 so I'm familiar with their performance. How is the audio and electronics interface in the Trackhawk? Any lag with the touchscreen interface? Harmon Kardon sound awesome?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 01-12-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
I used to have an 2008 SRT8 so I'm familiar with their performance. How is the audio and electronics interface in the Trackhawk? Any lag with the touchscreen interface? Harmon Kardon sound awesome?
I'm sure there are better but the Jeep's sound systems are awesome to my ears. The touchscreen is quick but you need to have a steady finger to hit the right spots. I didn't buy the TH for the sound system, touchscreen or electronic features although I think they are all pretty dang good. I bought it for the pure performance. After having 4 Corvettes and 2 GC SRT's, the TH is clearly on another performance level by a long shot.
post #5 of 38 Old 01-12-2020, 11:19 PM

The X3 is small, especially 2nd row and hatch when compared to the TH. If that doesnít mean much, they are close in performance.

Refinement and fit finish will definitely be on the BMW side of things. But Iíve also heard the comp M models ride a little rough... so ...

Iím not a big fan of the X3/4 look and much prefer the more menacing look of the TH over it.
That said, Iím one of the first on the list to drive the upcoming X5m at dealership when it hits the lot.

Iím thinking ahead as my lease on the TH is less then 10 months remaining and itís on my short list of replacements.

I got away from BMW years ago, but they seem to have found their way again with the performance Mís and it has my attention lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 38 Old 01-13-2020, 07:54 AM

Friend has an X3M and with a tune only it went 10.80 @ 127.

That being said i had an X5M back in the day and it was the biggest piece of sh_t i've ever owned. I'd never own another BMW out of or without a warranty.
hawkku likes this.

2018 Trackhawk
2017 Wrangler Sahara
2015 Audi RS7
2009 GTR
2007 911 Turbo
post #7 of 38 Old 01-13-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post
Friend has an X3M and with a tune only it went 10.80 @ 127.
That would be one heck of an accomplishment with just a tune.... But if we are going to compare apples to apples we'd need to see what a TH does with only a tune...
post #8 of 38 Old 01-13-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
That would be one heck of an accomplishment with just a tune.... But if we are going to compare apples to apples we'd need to see what a TH does with only a tune...
so. I'm not sure if you're questioning the validity of my statement by saying "Would be"....but for whatever it's worth see below.

And i wasn't mentioning it to say it's a "Better" vehicle then the TH. Just showing they can go very fast with some software. I'm sure a TH with a tune only goes fast also. I'd still take my stock TH over the tuned X3M as i just prefer the Jeep as it fits my taste better. But my post wasn't to say in any way that i feel the BMW is a superior vehicle. Just sharing some info that was recently brought to me on the subject of the thread.

2018 Trackhawk
2017 Wrangler Sahara
2015 Audi RS7
2009 GTR
2007 911 Turbo
post #9 of 38 Old 01-13-2020, 10:09 AM

Help! 2020 X3m Competition or 2018 Trackhawk?

The current crop of M engines really wake up with tunes.

And 127mph is going to give even an upper pulley tuned TH a run for the money. Thatís moving.

But yes, Iíve heard same about the last X5, hoping that the new version is better. The current x3/4 and 7 seem to get good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hawkku likes this.
post #10 of 38 Old 01-13-2020, 10:12 AM

All's I have to compare is the "stock" road test results that I've read to your friends tuned results. I've also seen the results of a lot of just tuned vehicles compared to totally stock at the track. You friends tune only gains would be the best I've seen.... Makes me want to get my TH tuned. ... I'd be interest to see what TH owners here have seen with just a tune to compare.

Of course, what's included in a "tune" can make a difference too..

Last edited by Car-Guy; 01-13-2020 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page