Initial impressions of Borla S-type - Page 2 - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 18Likes

post #11 of 21 Old 05-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA 2 FST View Post
Vehicle is stock, except for a Green filter...

As I fully expected, Borla delivered on sound quality and fit and finish. I've had various aftermarket exhausts on numerous vehicles over the past 30+ years and Borla, while expensive, has always been faithful to their "no drone" claim and the sound quality is as good as any, IMHO. Granted, I'm way past the days of "straight pipes" and trying to be the loudest kid on the block.

I have no sound clips, and they won't do most of us any good. The one Borla provides is quality, and better than anything i could post. Honestly, I think the stock exhaust sounds good for OEM. The Borla S-type just takes what is good about the stock sound and bumps it up _just enough_. Start up crackle is nice, and I now get a nice crackle/burble on downshifts (I run in Custom Mode with Trans setting in Track). WOT is loud, but in a good way... as it should be. It's not ear-piercing loud; just sounds good, like you're indeed going full throttle. Cruise is where Borla shines, too... if you were getting in a TH for the first time, and never jumped on it hard, you would think it is a great-sounding OEM exhaust. I know its there because I've had the vehicle for a year, but otherwise, it is not intrusive into the cabin _at all_. Part throttle acceleration provides a deeper tone than OEM, but at cruise rpm (1800-2300) it is very pleasant and no reverb noise in the cabin.

Good job Borla.

They don't have tips for these yet, so I reused the stockers. They stick out about an inch more than OEM. I like it. It looks aggressive.

Next up... lowering springs... probably in a few weeks.

So I noticed you had a thread way back in Febuary about Cat Backs... what made you settle on the Borla even after that thread you hadn't made a decision???

Thanks
post #12 of 21 Old 05-10-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown7 View Post
So I noticed you had a thread way back in Febuary about Cat Backs... what made you settle on the Borla even after that thread you hadn't made a decision???

Thanks
This is going to sound very trivial, but I just got the mod bug and wanted to do something. My guess is that power gain is relatively inconsequential, although the Borla has much smoother bends than OEM. As far as Borla vs another brand, I've just had great experience with Borla, especially the "no drone" aspect of their systems.
Daniel454 and ROCKETW19 like this.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
This is going to sound very trivial, but I just got the mod bug and wanted to do something. My guess is that power gain is relatively inconsequential, although the Borla has much smoother bends than OEM. As far as Borla vs another brand, I've just had great experience with Borla, especially the "no drone" aspect of their systems.
Hah!!! Mine was likewise trivial... 90% of my decision to get a catback was because of that horrible crimp in the factory exhaust....

I started to just have that cut out but the other 10% of my reasoning was I wanted a little more growl at idle, so yeah...
WA 2 FST likes this.

---PAST---
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4

---PRESENT---
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee TrackHawk (738AWHP)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (Bolt Ons & Tune)
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 (400RWHP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 Old 05-10-2019, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Vehicle is stock, except for a Green filter...

As I fully expected, Borla delivered on sound quality and fit and finish. I've had various aftermarket exhausts on numerous vehicles over the past 30+ years and Borla, while expensive, has always been faithful to their "no drone" claim and the sound quality is as good as any, IMHO. Granted, I'm way past the days of "straight pipes" and trying to be the loudest kid on the block.

I have no sound clips, and they won't do most of us any good. The one Borla provides is quality, and better than anything i could post. Honestly, I think the stock exhaust sounds good for OEM. The Borla S-type just takes what is good about the stock sound and bumps it up _just enough_. Start up crackle is nice, and I now get a nice crackle/burble on downshifts (I run in Custom Mode with Trans setting in Track). WOT is loud, but in a good way... as it should be. It's not ear-piercing loud; just sounds good, like you're indeed going full throttle. Cruise is where Borla shines, too... if you were getting in a TH for the first time, and never jumped on it hard, you would think it is a great-sounding OEM exhaust. I know its there because I've had the vehicle for a year, but otherwise, it is not intrusive into the cabin _at all_. Part throttle acceleration provides a deeper tone than OEM, but at cruise rpm (1800-2300) it is very pleasant and no reverb noise in the cabin.

Good job Borla.

They don't have tips for these yet, so I reused the stockers. They stick out about an inch more than OEM. I like it. It looks aggressive.

Next up... lowering springs... probably in a few weeks.
Call Borla and tel them to cut you a check for sponsorship. Cuz of this write up I am going to get this exact system. Im kinda just wanting to spend $ also lol
could you put part number up please? I am gonna search the net for a system
post #15 of 21 Old 05-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Search Borla and look for a post by billet. Think it was called Borla 3”
Should have all the part numbers
post #16 of 21 Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19 View Post
Call Borla and tel them to cut you a check for sponsorship. Cuz of this write up I am going to get this exact system. Im kinda just wanting to spend $ also lol
could you put part number up please? I am gonna search the net for a system
https://www.borla.com/jeep-grand-che...haust-systems/

S-type is part # 140755

If you want more aggressive, then the ATAK is great, I'm sure. But I know, intuitively, it would be too loud for me.
GNXtoWS6 and ROCKETW19 like this.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-13-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel454 View Post
Agreed...

I have had the Borla S installed a few months now and love it more and more each day...

You CAN adjust the various connections and get the tips to tuck back under to the factory position, I had them fully tucked at first but went back and moved them out to about where yours are.

I was very hesitant to pull the trigger on this setup, I had not ran Borla since the late 90s, having fell in love with the build and sound of CORSA on every FCA vehicle I have owned...

I HATE exhaust drone and the wife is very sensitive to it as well (migraines). CORSA has been perfect for us, loud at WOT, deep idle, as quiet (or quieter) everywhere in between.

But when CORSA decided not to build a TrackHawk specific setup, I decided to give Borla a shot again and am happy I did.

The Borla is quite a bit louder than CORSA would have been on partial throttle but it also has a deeper rumble / sound across the board all with no drone... I am very happy with the trade off and end result.

So did you re-use the factory tips or did you use Borla’s black chrome tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 21 Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkc View Post
So did you re-use the factory tips or did you use Borla’s black chrome tips?

Factory Tips, I have the tow package and Borla's tips wont work.
ROCKETW19 likes this.

---PAST---
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4

---PRESENT---
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee TrackHawk (738AWHP)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (Bolt Ons & Tune)
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 (400RWHP)
post #19 of 21 Old 05-13-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Good to know, I have the tow package as well. Appreciate the feedback

Daniel454 likes this.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-13-2019, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
ouch good info i was almost gonna go with the carbon fiber tips. I would of been pissed when they didnt fit, lol thanks
Daniel454 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page