Jeep Trackhawk Forum banner

Panoramic Sunfoor question...

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  mprsev 
#1 ·
Hey all...

New owner here with 5 weeks and 700 miles on the 'hawk. My roof has started to creak - so bad that I can hear it over the radio (when volume is 15 or lower). It creaks in and out of driveway, railroad tracks, small road imperfections, and sometimes even slight corners.

Questions:
- Has anyone else experienced this so far?
- If so, care to share anything you might have done to correct the problem - dealer, self-fix, etc?

As background, had a '15 SRT GC and wife currently drives an '18 High Altitude - both with panoramic roofs but neither has ever creaked...

Thanks in advance...

#4 ·
As Sevo indicated, there are a handful reporting it elsewhere.

FYI, its not just ones with sunroofs though. Not that it helps yours directly but know it wasn't your choice to let the light in that caused it.

#5 ·
One of the guys in our WhatsApp chatgroup is expierencing this as well. I think he is about to get it back. This poor TH had sunroof removed, headliner, air bags, everything and anything that could possibly make the sound. They went for a drive and there's a brace up top or somewhere that's rubbing making the sound. I asked him to join the forum/post up what his fix was. Hopefully he will sign up and post up.

#6 ·
Quick update. Visited local dealer yesterday. They had no idea there was a 'common' complaint for the noise however, upon looking in the computer system, there was a TSB (??) from Jeep about how to repair. He mumbled "remove headliner, adhesive, rear passenger corner of vehicle...okay, yeah. When can you bring it in. Should take 1.5 - 2 days to fix?"

I'm gonna call around to other Jeep dealers in Denver area to see if others have come across this already cause I'm not sure I want mine to be anyone's guinea pig.

As an aside, when I drop it off I plan to activate the Valet mode. Does anyone know if the dealer can undo or override the valet mode?

Cheers.

#7 ·
As an aside, when I drop it off I plan to activate the Valet mode. Does anyone know if the dealer can undo or override the valet mode?
It can be bypassed my disconnecting the battery according to the owners manual.

#13 ·
Quick update for those interested...

Dropped TH off at local Jeep dealer here Tuesday for the repair. Left vehicle in Valet mode (we'll see if they unplug battery for any reason).
- Got a call late last night (after two days) that the dealership was having difficulty replicating the rattle (having two different techs drive the TH within their parking lot) and had a few other questions (them asking me) and statements that don't leave me warm and fuzzy...
- Where is rattle coming from? (for about the fourth time)
- Where did I hear about the Jeep TSB?
- If its sunroof related, we have to remove the entire sunroof - so we always take caution before doing that

Always open to thoughts / comments...

#14 ·
ughhh.....sorry to hear bout your problem..working with a dealer on ANY problem, that is not obvious to them how to fix, is a fools errand...the majority of them suck..and it takes them a few tries to get it right...
- if i read your post correctly, they aren't able to duplicate the rattle?? if so...go down there..and get their tech in the truck, while YOU drive it..so you can point it out to them..
g'luck

#15 ·
Another update...After stating they could not replicate the noise / rattle, the dealer advised they were going to proceed with repair via the TSB. After a 'false alarm you're vehicle is ready' text, I picked up TH on Friday (so TH with dealer just over 3 full days). They warned of an odor due to epoxy in the headliner to resolve rattle.

Have 30 miles or so on TH and rattle / noise is 95% gone. The only remaining noise occurs when driving over visible bumps - such as manhole covers, railways, etc. In those instances there lots of noise - tire noise, suspension, and a small noise from rear of cabin. Barely noticeable - but its there. But I'm generally happy that the 95% of other driving conditions are noise / rattle free.

I remain a little annoyed with the dealer and overall confusion on their part. TH was there for 3.5 days when repair only took 1.5 days once they started the TSB.

Thanks to those that initially responded to this post that provided me with some initial thoughts / questions to get this resolved!!!

#16 ·
Glad you’ve got it primarily resolved.

I’ve got a rattling noise coming from the front passenger seat area of the car, and I can’t figure it out. It is really annoying. Has anyone else had rattling issues in that area? For as much as FCA claimed to be doing quality control checks on this halo Jeep vehicle, it sure seems like that was just a lot of hot air. I’m apprenhesive about leaving it at a dealer to chase down this little mouse as well, especially since you have to be driving it to experience it.

#19 ·
Just curious. Have you tried taking some painters tape to the rear wiper? I hear a little rattle and figured out it was the rear wiper that is a little loose. I haven't brought it in yet, but I will. Curious if you isolated the sound to the SR or just guessing.

#20 ·
I have a 2016 SRT Night Edition and I too had the creaking panoramic sunroof issue. My dealer tried a couple times with the adhesive without success. I told them that several other owners were successful with having a body shop weld the piece and after welding I have not heard any creaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.