Breakdown - Massive Trans Fluid Leak - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Breakdown - Massive Trans Fluid Leak

Last Friday I was 5 min from arriving home and getting ready for a great weekend. Neither happened. Coasted to a safe area as quickly as I could. Pop the hood to find what appears to be trans fluid all over the engine bay, mostly passenger side. Not a good feeling watching smoke pour from engine/underneath and hoping nothing is hot enough to start a fire.

Been sitting at dealer ship since Sat. Seriously considering having it towed home in hopes it's something like the quick-connect fitting wasn't properly seated at the factory so I can fix this myself. But I have no idea of the condition of the transmission.

Even if the dealer gets around to looking at it, I'm certain if it is able to move once they find the leak and fill it, they are going to say the trans is 100% good! But in the back of my mind I will always wonder when will this come back and bite me in the ass?
post #2 of 25 Old 06-19-2018, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

These vehicles run a hot pink colored coolant. Maybe it’s coolant instead of trans fluid??
post #3 of 25 Old 06-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Hemi View Post
These vehicles run a hot pink colored coolant. Maybe it’s coolant instead of trans fluid??
Coolant looks purple to me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 06-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Not the IC coolant, the engine coolant. My 14 had the water pump go out and was leaking onto the ground. Having never seen pink coolant before, I incorrectly assumed tranny fluid. My Evo runs a blue coolant, I guess nobody uses the green stuff anymore.
post #5 of 25 Old 06-20-2018, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Hemi View Post
Not the IC coolant, the engine coolant. My 14 had the water pump go out and was leaking onto the ground. Having never seen pink coolant before, I incorrectly assumed tranny fluid. My Evo runs a blue coolant, I guess nobody uses the green stuff anymore.
IC coolant and Engine coolant are the same....

p/n 68163848AB (concentrate) / p/n 68163849AB (50/50 mixture)
post #6 of 25 Old 06-20-2018, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Well that’s good to know that they’re the same (hadn’t looked into it). I think it’s the lighting conditions that make it look purple. It looks more pinkish when I looked directly at the coolant with the cap off.

Just a hopeful thought that it’s coolant. Just seems like that would be a much easier fix with little to no damage as long as he shut it down before it got too hot.

Best of luck with it and please keep us posted with the diagnosis.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I wish it was coolant. Definitely transmission fluid. Unique smell when burning (on hot exhaust manifolds). Was 5 min from home, so only going 35 or so when I started looking for the quickest place to pull over. Felt it surge (buck) a bit while pulling over, I assume that was the trans losing enough pressure to hold gear? Trans oil, engine oil, and coolant temps showed no signs of overheating just before I shut her off.

3 working days and 0% progress.
Called and started a case with SRT.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-20-2018, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Awwww man. I was hoping for an easy solution.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-21-2018, 06:22 AM

Both of my coolant's (IC and engine) are purple on my Trackhawk. My Hellcat has purple IC coolant and orange engine coolant. Both have the same part number but they could be different colors.

"One of One" 2018 Rhino Trackhawk 11.30'[email protected] STOCK

2016 TORRED Dodge Charger Hellcat
10.30's @ 134 mph

.......some of my other cars
*2016 Cadillac ATS-V
*Pontiac Comp T/A
10.80's @ 128 mph 1.47 60ft
post #10 of 25 Old 07-03-2018, 06:47 PM

Garage
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer333 View Post
Last Friday I was 5 min from arriving home and getting ready for a great weekend. Neither happened. Coasted to a safe area as quickly as I could. Pop the hood to find what appears to be trans fluid all over the engine bay, mostly passenger side. Not a good feeling watching smoke pour from engine/underneath and hoping nothing is hot enough to start a fire.

Been sitting at dealer ship since Sat. Seriously considering having it towed home in hopes it's something like the quick-connect fitting wasn't properly seated at the factory so I can fix this myself. But I have no idea of the condition of the transmission.

Even if the dealer gets around to looking at it, I'm certain if it is able to move once they find the leak and fill it, they are going to say the trans is 100% good! But in the back of my mind I will always wonder when will this come back and bite me in the ass?

Same thing happened to me at 666 miles. Tranny fluid is clear with a green tint.

Go BIG or go home!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page