Metallic tinkling noise - Dealer says normal? - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 07-03-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Metallic tinkling noise - Dealer says normal?

All,
Just purchased our Trackhawk and it is making a faint but noticeable high pitched metallic tinkling type of noise. Almost like a very high pitched wind chime. This happens at idle, seems louder during a cold startup and seems to be concentrated on the drivers side of the vehicle in the lower part of the engine bay. Drove it over to the service write up area and had two service writers listen to the sound. One stated he had bad hearing and couldn't hear it, the other service writer said it sounded like normal exhaust sound. I have never heard any vehicle make this type of noise except when detonating due to having the timing advanced too far.

Anyone else have this noise? If it continues, I'm going to have the service manager listen to it the next time I am near the dealership. The Trackhawk runs strong with no issues other than this strange metallic noise at idle. I have about 400 miles on it at this time.

Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-03-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1atom12 View Post
All,
Just purchased our Trackhawk and it is making a faint but noticeable high pitched metallic tinkling type of noise. Almost like a very high pitched wind chime. This happens at idle, seems louder during a cold startup and seems to be concentrated on the drivers side of the vehicle in the lower part of the engine bay. Drove it over to the service write up area and had two service writers listen to the sound. One stated he had bad hearing and couldn't hear it, the other service writer said it sounded like normal exhaust sound. I have never heard any vehicle make this type of noise except when detonating due to having the timing advanced too far.

Anyone else have this noise? If it continues, I'm going to have the service manager listen to it the next time I am near the dealership. The Trackhawk runs strong with no issues other than this strange metallic noise at idle. I have about 400 miles on it at this time.

Thanks,
Adam
Have you ever had a previous vehicle with a supercharger? Could be just the supercharger - that's normal.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-03-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1atom12 View Post
All,

Thanks,
Adam
Can you post a video or a sound clip so we can better understand what you are describing?
post #4 of 21 Old 07-03-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I will try to catch it on video. First supercharged vehicle. I can hear that gear whine, but this sounds more like one of those aboriginal rain sticks than supercharger gear whine. I've also heard something similar to this in the past with an exhaust manifold/header gasket leak back in my early days. Think metallic rain sound. Randomly spaced. Not a constant interval, timed mechanical sound...

Thanks for your replies so far...
post #5 of 21 Old 07-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Could just be something loose or some other factory defect, I’ve had a few. Oil filter loose/leaking, supercharger belt off a rib in the idler pulley, quad exhaust crooked, poor fitting interior panel. I hear some people have had a headliner issue.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-03-2018, 06:23 PM

Garage
I have the headliner creaking issue.. haven't heard the original posters issue

2018 Rhino Demon
post #7 of 21 Old 07-04-2018, 12:51 PM

This is exactly what I heard before the oil pump went out. Dealer told me it was normal and would go away = then at 413 miles no oil pressure. They are replacing the engine but there are no engines available to replace it with
post #8 of 21 Old 07-04-2018, 02:12 PM

I'm pretty sure you are describing the same noise I hear when my TH is cold. I have crawled under car and I swear I hear the sound from drivers side cat. Once TH is warmed up the sound goes away. What say you?
post #9 of 21 Old 07-04-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

NHTHO, sorry to hear about your motor. Hopefully they get you a replacement soon.

Gooweea, yes, seems much louder on cold startup and I can clearly hear it on both sides. Once warmed up, much quieter and seems to confined to the left side. I tried to record the sound but all I ended up capturing was that wonderful exhaust note.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-04-2018, 10:05 PM

I hear up front near front driver tire.

thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page