Uneven rotor wear, cut lines in pads, clogged slots - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 07-25-2018, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Uneven rotor wear, cut lines in pads, clogged slots

8000 easy miles (4000 miles just driving Detroit to Alaska). I've been getting some shudder but it comes and goes.

I started trying to figure it out once I saw uneven wear on the rotors. These wear lines line up with the end of slots that are clogged. I'm speculating that the brake dust from the clogs are creating high spots that then cut into the pads and also create the high rotor lines.

Anyone else seeing this?

I spent a bunch of time trying to scrape out all of my rotor slots. It is a PITA getting between the dust shield and the rotor on the back side.

I know some folks are changing pads, but I'd prefer not to be doing that especially so early. The cosmetic dust isn't really bothering me that much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1159.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	3832   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1160.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	3834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1161.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	3836  

2018 Trackhawk Billet Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-25-2018, 01:56 AM

Ouch! I haven't seen that on mine...yet.

Current:
2018 Trackhawk black/black
2017 Ferrari 488GTB
1968 Shelby GT500KR
1966 Cobra 427 replica

Past:
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT
2008 Porsche 911 Turbo
2006 Corvette ZO6
2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab
1977 Jeep CJ with 401
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440
1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440
1966 Corvette 427
post #3 of 21 Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 AM

This is weird…. Have you been driving down a lot of dirt roads? The only thing I can think of is some small stones worked their way into the grooves on the rotors and cut the grooves into the pads. Has this occurred on both rear rotors or just one? The rear rotors & pads are the same on the TH as they are on the GC SRT so if this was common you would think we would hear of it happening more often.

I would see if your local dealer will replace the pads and turn or replace the rotor as a manufacturer defect since you only have 8k miles on it.
post #4 of 21 Old 07-25-2018, 08:17 AM
Vendor

Looks like you got some trash in between the pad and rotor and it cut into both over time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Demon Performance
305C Lowcountry Dr
Ridgeland, SC 29936
post #5 of 21 Old 07-25-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

No pebbles or anything were in the grooves - only caked-in brake dust. I'm thinking it migrates to the edge of the slot and cuts the pad in that spot. The rears were where it was most noticeable, probably due to the smaller swept area. This was not isolated to one spot.

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 07-25-2018 at 12:05 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Vendor

So that happened on all 4 rotors? If trash/big deposits got hooked and started at the back of the pad, it could eat into and travel through it over time. The circular scoring in the rotor and the wear on the pads in the pics shown would suggest that.

The dust/build up transferred on the rotors would look more like heat checking with low/high spots. The pad deposits in the micro cracks on the rotor surface would cause this to happen. Looks almost like cheetah print. Heat checking is completely normal and will not cause any problems however.

How thick are the rotors? You may be able to skim cut them and reuse with new oe pads, depending on the thickness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Demon Performance
305C Lowcountry Dr
Ridgeland, SC 29936
post #7 of 21 Old 07-26-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSkip View Post
So that happened on all 4 rotors? If trash/big deposits got hooked and started at the back of the pad, it could eat into and travel through it over time. The circular scoring in the rotor and the wear on the pads in the pics shown would suggest that.

The dust/build up transferred on the rotors would look more like heat checking with low/high spots. The pad deposits in the micro cracks on the rotor surface would cause this to happen. Looks almost like cheetah print. Heat checking is completely normal and will not cause any problems however.

How thick are the rotors? You may be able to skim cut them and reuse with new oe pads, depending on the thickness.
With 8000 miles, I have plenty of rotor thickness left. Both sides of the rears were noticeable (easiest to see on the pads). The most obvious rotor impact shown in my photo lines up exactly with the end of a slot. Roughly 1/2 of all of my slots were at least partially impacted with brake dust.

I may take a rainy weekend and see what I can do about the worst rotor lines. I expect it will be time consuming and require a lot of care to do it right since I don't own a brake lathe and rumor has it that shops will refuse to work on slotted rotors. Living in Alaska is only going to make that part harder.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-26-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I brought my photos and talked to the dealer to get their opinion on warranty. Talked to someone in service and the warranty guy. They’re going to talk to the shop manager and get back to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #9 of 21 Old 07-27-2018, 08:34 AM
Vendor

If you have issues with the OEMs, you can give our 2 piece setup a try. We have a replacement that's a bit lighter with about the same price tag for the fronts, with OEM pricing in mind. The rears we offer are also a 2 piece but are significantly higher in price, when compared to the oem rear cast 1 piece units.
AlaskaMatt likes this.

Demon Performance
305C Lowcountry Dr
Ridgeland, SC 29936
post #10 of 21 Old 07-27-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Dealer has scheduled me for an appointment to look more closely - August 7th.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page