Transmission Clunk? - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OverKill
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Transmission Clunk?

Brand new 2019 Trackhawk, have about 1,300 miles on it now and it has developed a distinct clunk sound when putting the car into drive or reverse and lightly pushing the gas or accelerating.

Sounds like it is coming from the drivers rear, pulled the wheel off to check the wheel nut, upper and lower control arm bolts and bushings, roll bar end links, got under the car and checked body mounts, rear end pumpkin mounts, driveshaft bolts for rear pumpkin etc. and nothing seems to be loose, don't see any wear or binding. Sometimes I can hear it while driving as well, but can always replicate it when putting the car in reverse and a little torque is supplied to the driveline, then placing into drive and applying torque to drive away and clunk again as soon as it starts rolling.

What gives? Anyone else run into this or notice this clunk noise? Thank you!
deuce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
 
Lil Hemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,076
I heard of a few people having heat shielding slightly out of place and that leads to a multitude of noises
Lil Hemi is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2019, 12:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: AZ
Posts: 126
Very interesting and sounds like you checked all of the obvious. Please keep us informed.

1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am, 416 Cu. In.
2007 Toyota X-Runner, TRD Supercharged
2007 Tblaze SS, Slammed and Cammed
30birdy99 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2019, 07:53 AM
Senior Member
 
OverKill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post
Brand new 2019 Trackhawk, have about 1,300 miles on it now and it has developed a distinct clunk sound when putting the car into drive or reverse and lightly pushing the gas or accelerating.

Sounds like it is coming from the drivers rear, pulled the wheel off to check the wheel nut, upper and lower control arm bolts and bushings, roll bar end links, got under the car and checked body mounts, rear end pumpkin mounts, driveshaft bolts for rear pumpkin etc. and nothing seems to be loose, don't see any wear or binding. Sometimes I can hear it while driving as well, but can always replicate it when putting the car in reverse and a little torque is supplied to the driveline, then placing into drive and applying torque to drive away and clunk again as soon as it starts rolling.

What gives? Anyone else run into this or notice this clunk noise? Thank you!
It might be the transfer case. It sounds like you have some slop in your driveline somewhere which explains the “thud” sound when stopping and shifting from park to drive.

Might want to check out this thread:
https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/...-stopping.html

Let us know what you find out.
ROCKETW19 likes this.
OverKill is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
It might be the transfer case. It sounds like you have some slop in your driveline somewhere which explains the “thud” sound when stopping and shifting from park to drive.

Might want to check out this thread:
https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/...-stopping.html

Let us know what you find out.
Thank you! Checked that thread out, seems like lot's of people had the same issue but nobody ever updated what the issue, cause or fix was
deuce is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-17-2019, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 397
If it is the TC, then there is no fix... they just replace them. I know none of us want to go back to the dealer, but what you're describing sounds very pronounced, and that is not normal.

Current Stable:
'18 Billet Silver Trackhawk
'02 Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Z06
'11 Corvette ZR1
'14 Audi SQ5
WA 2 FST is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2019, 07:10 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 5
Mine does the same thing. When going from drive to reverse you get a thud. I told dealer about it and they said it’s normal. Hopefully they at least noted it on the account. Incase something happens.
Probably going to bring to another dealer to have them look at. Just to make sure before modifications begin.
18trackhawk is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-01-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18trackhawk View Post
Mine does the same thing. When going from drive to reverse you get a thud. I told dealer about it and they said it’s normal. Hopefully they at least noted it on the account. Incase something happens.
Probably going to bring to another dealer to have them look at. Just to make sure before modifications begin.
Took it to dealer last week, went for drive with the tech, showed him how to reproduce it every time. He, said yeah I definitely hear that, haven't heard that before...

Kept car for two days, came back and said car is done, it's completely normal characteristics! FML
deuce is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LIVERNOIS Transmission update ROCKETW19 Engine And Performance Discussion 41 05-21-2019 09:46 PM
Transmission Died Porkgrisle Jeep Trackhawk Issues And Problems 3 04-20-2019 12:06 PM
Track Mode Transmission Shift Issue cgr Transmission & Driveline 3 03-13-2019 01:56 PM
Transmission tuning LivernoisMotorsports Livernois Motorsports 3 01-31-2019 07:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome