A/C Compressor Issue? - Jeep TrackHawk Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 5
A/C Compressor Issue?

Can someone report whether your TH compressor does this? My 2019 1200mi has compressor cycling on/off very frequently. This is in 90-95 degree heat with a/c set to 70 degrees. At first startup compressor runs consistently for 1-2 minutes then starts cycling every 7-10secs. It’s cooling fine blowing 43-44deg. I’ve never noticed another vehicle do this including 2014 GC SRT. Shouldn’t the cycle times be longer especially in 90+ heat?

Took in for service today, they reported it was overfilled with refrigerant, evacuated and refilled with R1234yf refrigerant to spec. Still cycling like this.

https://youtu.be/Ck1ciJQ6Tl8
Shaggy97 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 09:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: East Texas Countyside
Posts: 278
Did this just start happening or has it been doing it since you first got it? What did the service manager say about the short cycling?


FYI, I've had 2 GC SRT's and 2 TH's and I haven't "noticed" any unusual cycling.
Car-Guy is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Did this just start happening or has it been doing it since you first got it? What did the service manager say about the short cycling?
Since brand new just took me a few miles to notice something wasn’t right. Ive never had a car with R1234yf refrigerant so thought they may act different. Service writer wasn’t sure if it was normal behavior. No service manager yet just notes from the tech that it was “overfilled” and that he evacuated/corrected the R1234yf charge. No comments on the write up that it tested ok following the work (idiot tech). They were closing the doors when I picked up so didn’t get to check it before I left. Unfortunately I probably get to take it back and bitch to get it fixed right. Appreciate your input!
Shaggy97 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marcella View Post
Since brand new just took me a few miles to notice something wasn’t right. Ive never had a car with R1234yf refrigerant so thought they may act different. Service writer wasn’t sure if it was normal behavior. No service manager yet just notes from the tech that it was “overfilled” and that he evacuated/corrected the R1234yf charge. No comments on the write up that it tested ok following the work (idiot tech). They were closing the doors when I picked up so didn’t get to check it before I left. Unfortunately I probably get to take it back and bitch to get it fixed right. Appreciate your input!
so the dealer "fixed" it but its still doing the same thing? exact reason i try to never go there its probably gonna have another issue now. good luck keep this thread updated please.
ROCKETW19 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: East Texas Countyside
Posts: 278
ok, you made me go look... I was doing my weekly "under the hood check" when I thought about this thread and timed the AC cycle rate. The engine had been running a few minutes when I timed the compressor cycle rate. Times would vary just a little between the ~10 cycles I watched but I timed it at 6 to 7 seconds off and 16 to 22 seconds engaged. And it's 90+ degs outside today. I never realized it cycled that often.

I never noticed it "cycle" while I was in the vehicle since it's so smooth. I even watched the tach and didn't notice any rpm changes when it engaged/disengaged. I guess with a 707hp engine, the compressor isn't enough to move the needle.
Car-Guy is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
ok, you made me go look... I was doing my weekly "under the hood check" when I thought about this thread and timed the AC cycle rate. The engine had been running a few minutes when I timed the compressor cycle rate. Times would vary just a little between the ~10 cycles I watched but I timed it at 6 to 7 seconds off and 16 to 22 seconds engaged. And it's 90+ degs outside today. I never realized it cycled that often.

I never noticed it "cycle" while I was in the vehicle since it's so smooth. I even watched the tach and didn't notice any rpm changes when it engaged/disengaged. I guess with a 707hp engine, the compressor isn't enough to move the needle.
@Car-Guy really appreciate you taking the time to check and reply with some data! So it seems mine is definitely acting different and may have an issue. Looks like I get to take it back to the dealer, which kills me...so many bad service experiences. A few years ago had batteries replaced under warranty in a 2014 Ram 2500 and the numb nuts managed to dent BOTH front fenders in the process.

While idling I notice my compressor come on in the exhaust sound and also on the boost gauge ...vacuum drops for a second or two.
Shaggy97 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
ok, you made me go look... I was doing my weekly "under the hood check" when I thought about this thread and timed the AC cycle rate. The engine had been running a few minutes when I timed the compressor cycle rate. Times would vary just a little between the ~10 cycles I watched but I timed it at 6 to 7 seconds off and 16 to 22 seconds engaged. And it's 90+ degs outside today. I never realized it cycled that often.

I never noticed it "cycle" while I was in the vehicle since it's so smooth. I even watched the tach and didn't notice any rpm changes when it engaged/disengaged. I guess with a 707hp engine, the compressor isn't enough to move the needle.
@Car-Guy thank you for checking and reporting back.

Took it to another dealer Fri morning. Shop foreman says what I’m seeing is normal. We did some more testing and we’re able to get the compressor to stop the frequent cycling by cranking the temp setting down to a low setting, like 60 or “LO”. So the computer and sensors are able to stop the cycling which suggests it’s not a mechanical problem. Not sure what to think at this point. It’s cooling well, so gonna drive the [email protected] out of it and enjoy. Just need any little gimmicks with this thing resolved before it gets pulleys/tune.
Shaggy97 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome