A/C Compressor Issue? - Jeep TrackHawk Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

A/C Compressor Issue?

Can someone report whether your TH compressor does this? My 2019 1200mi has compressor cycling on/off very frequently. This is in 90-95 degree heat with a/c set to 70 degrees. At first startup compressor runs consistently for 1-2 minutes then starts cycling every 7-10secs. It’s cooling fine blowing 43-44deg. I’ve never noticed another vehicle do this including 2014 GC SRT. Shouldn’t the cycle times be longer especially in 90+ heat?

Took in for service today, they reported it was overfilled with refrigerant, evacuated and refilled with R1234yf refrigerant to spec. Still cycling like this.

https://youtu.be/Ck1ciJQ6Tl8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 08:58 PM

Did this just start happening or has it been doing it since you first got it? What did the service manager say about the short cycling?

FYI, I've had 2 GC SRT's and 2 TH's and I haven't "noticed" any unusual cycling.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-10-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Did this just start happening or has it been doing it since you first got it? What did the service manager say about the short cycling?
Since brand new just took me a few miles to notice something wasn’t right. Ive never had a car with R1234yf refrigerant so thought they may act different. Service writer wasn’t sure if it was normal behavior. No service manager yet just notes from the tech that it was “overfilled” and that he evacuated/corrected the R1234yf charge. No comments on the write up that it tested ok following the work (idiot tech). They were closing the doors when I picked up so didn’t get to check it before I left. Unfortunately I probably get to take it back and bitch to get it fixed right. Appreciate your input!
post #4 of 5 Old 09-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marcella View Post
Since brand new just took me a few miles to notice something wasn’t right. Ive never had a car with R1234yf refrigerant so thought they may act different. Service writer wasn’t sure if it was normal behavior. No service manager yet just notes from the tech that it was “overfilled” and that he evacuated/corrected the R1234yf charge. No comments on the write up that it tested ok following the work (idiot tech). They were closing the doors when I picked up so didn’t get to check it before I left. Unfortunately I probably get to take it back and bitch to get it fixed right. Appreciate your input!
so the dealer "fixed" it but its still doing the same thing? exact reason i try to never go there its probably gonna have another issue now. good luck keep this thread updated please.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-11-2019, 02:56 PM

ok, you made me go look... I was doing my weekly "under the hood check" when I thought about this thread and timed the AC cycle rate. The engine had been running a few minutes when I timed the compressor cycle rate. Times would vary just a little between the ~10 cycles I watched but I timed it at 6 to 7 seconds off and 16 to 22 seconds engaged. And it's 90+ degs outside today. I never realized it cycled that often.

I never noticed it "cycle" while I was in the vehicle since it's so smooth. I even watched the tach and didn't notice any rpm changes when it engaged/disengaged. I guess with a 707hp engine, the compressor isn't enough to move the needle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep TrackHawk Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page