Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a 180 thermostat? what results have you had? will it stay at 180?
My understanding is that it will work but not as well as it should or could without reprogramming the fans to go on and off at different temps.

Even if its only to reprogram fans, at that point you have entered the ecu and the dealer or Mopar can tell you to get lost as far as any warrentee engine work. I would hate to void my extended warrentee so I would like to just pop in a 180 and see how it works.

Has anyone tried that?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't think you will hurt anything by putting in there and not tuning to get the cooling fans to kick on earlier.

Worst case, you will see slightly cooler temps at highway speeds (when air moving across the radiator naturally cools it), and it will be the same as stock temps in city/traffic situations. I doubt it will stay below the stock 195^ or so in the city unless you do have the ECM tuned to turn the fans on at a lower temp.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Has anyone installed a 180 thermostat? what results have you had? will it stay at 180?
My understanding is that it will work but not as well as it should or could without reprogramming the fans to go on and off at different temps.

Even if its only to reprogram fans, at that point you have entered the ecu and the dealer or Mopar can tell you to get lost as far as any warrentee engine work. I would hate to void my extended warrentee so I would like to just pop in a 180 and see how it works.

Has anyone tried that?
I was always told this was for older cars and won't work well in today's newer, computer programmed cars. If you put a lower temp thermostat it will likely set a code, but if you continue to drive it like that where it cannot reach the operating temp it is engineered to reach you will constantly run rich. All that fuel isn't getting burned and isn't making you more power. What it is doing is going into your cats, which are extremely expensive, where it creates a fire inside the substrate and wrecks them. So you'd end up needing a grand or two in new cats, possibly new upstream O2 sensors as they can get damaged as well from this, and a stock temp thermostat to keep this from happening again. If pieces of the broken substrate migrate down the pipe a bit further, you could also have to replace the muffler that would be clogged up with broken catalyst.

Lower temp thermostats was an old trick on carbed cars that were souped up to reduce detonation if you used a most aggressive timing advance on your car. It is no longer applicable to today's vehicles and will actually harm them.

·
Registered
642 Posts
+1 on everything AdamKC said. The higher operating temps in newer cars are needed to burn off emissions.

Reactions: gooweea

·
Registered
76 Posts
Think the tune is the key with a 180 degree thermostats; all of the performance shops I've seen posting here (Livernois, Demon, etc.) have a thermostat swap to 180 degrees as their first step kit along with a tune...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Without tuning adjustments to change fan settings, it's useless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone who posted these answers. I appreciate the input. A lot of good points, and at least one person who tried it wo programming. considering its only two bolts and the Jeep has a lot of gauges to measure results before and after it may be worth it. The worse that can happen is the old on goes back in. I'm only looking to keep the engine cooler especially when towing. Never ever going to a track with it except to tow my race car there.
Thanks guys,

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been around the SRT community for a long time and the 180 T-Stat has always been a standard, necessary mod. For those mentioning "operating temperature" you need to realize this has more to do with emissions and less to do with performance. It's been proven dyno and dyno again that lowering the temperatures to ~185 along with IAT's you will get the most output. I've had my 6.1's to the track many times with and without 203 and 180 T-Stats and the numbers don't lie. Albeit this is my first boosted SRT engine I can't imagine it's any different.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Thanks to everyone who posted these answers. I appreciate the input. A lot of good points, and at least one person who tried it wo programming. considering its only two bolts and the Jeep has a lot of gauges to measure results before and after it may be worth it. The worse that can happen is the old on goes back in. I'm only looking to keep the engine cooler especially when towing. Never ever going to a track with it except to tow my race car there.
Thanks guys,
what do you pull? I dont know why but I am scared to pull with the TH. I have a 20' open aluminum trailer and a 62 convertible Impala on it. im sure is just under the 7200lbs but scares me. that poor SC is gonna be screaming the whole time and i am sure it will get like 6 MPG lol.
how was motor and trans temps towing?
Thats one thing I will miss about my Raptor. I towed that car for 6 hours at 90mph and didnt even know it was there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
don't be worried to pull with the trackhawk. the Trackhawk has far more power than a raptor, more low end torque, and a mere 800 pound listed deficit compared to the gen 2 raptors. you will have no issues towing at all, and the supercharger will not be engaged unless you are accelerating or going up grade. anything under 7k lbs, your golden. and its more like 9 MPG :)

Reactions: ROCKETW19

·
Registered
219 Posts
Agreed ^^^ I tow my boat with my TH and sometimes it’s like I forget it’s back there, it’s awesome. Trailer, boat and gear weigh in at 6400 lbs, i have a 180* tstat installed and also an unlocked PCM and set fan settings to start fans coming on at 187* fans ramp up to high speed as temp rises but temps never rise above 192* in stop & go traffic (occasionally to 194* on really hot days) and even when towing temps stay put at 185* and rise a bit when i get on it aggressively from a stop light and shortly there after come right down to 185*

Reactions: ROCKETW19

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
don't be worried to pull with the trackhawk. the Trackhawk has far more power than a raptor, more low end torque, and a mere 800 pound listed deficit compared to the gen 2 raptors. you will have no issues towing at all, and the supercharger will not be engaged unless you are accelerating or going up grade. anything under 7k lbs, your golden. and its more like 9 MPG :)
I had the gen 1 Raptor with whipple stage 2 (750hp) it was more the size and weight of truck I think. honestly not sure why I am worried you are right it has plenty of power and its under the 7200lbs I guess I am just weird.
lol i get 9mpg now
thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts