Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title suggests when did you go in for the 1st oil change or when do you plan to do so?

The manual suggests 6000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. I’m close to 2000 miles. Was thinking of going in around the 3000 mark.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm thinking 1500 miles or so, then 3000 thereafter. That is probably overkill, I know. But no way I will wait til the oil change indicator comes on or 6000 miles.

My biggest concern is the service monkeys who do it...which is why I want to do this myself. The external oil cooler creates a bit of a problem, though. I change the oil in all my vehicles, so this will be disappointing if I can't quickly and easily take care of it myself. The main drain and filter look just like my '15 SRT, so that is easy to get to and do.

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
First change I was hoping to knock out at 1500 ~ 2000 miles but work has gotten in the way so now looking like it'll be closer to 3000 miles.

After that Ill just change it when it tells me to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Manual and dealer told me 6,000 miles. I am going to do 1st change at 3,000 miles, 2nd change 3,000 miles later @ 6,000 miles (to get me on schedule) and then every 6,000 miles after that.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Are you guys going to do the work yourself, or have your dealer do it?

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
Ill be doing the first one myself, I'm still on the fence on letting the dealer do it. I hate to pass up the free 4 so I am leaning toward giving them a shot.

Once the free ones are done I will 100% be doing it myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had four oil changes now since purchasing, I go when my EVIC tells me to go. Haven’t had a problem with dealership changing oil, it is more complex due to getting to the oil cooler, I have them replace plastic rivets every change. I would be surprised if you made it to 5-6000 miles between changes because if you are like I am, hard to keep foot of gas....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am going to let the dealer do it. But, I will have my fingers crossed. I bought my Trackhawk from a large dealer out of town that sells a ton of SRT's, Trackhawks and Hellcats. My local dealer never sells any of these, so they have limited experience. But, anything they mess up they will have to fix on their dime so I will roll the dice.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Dealer done is far better for resale, as it gets marked on the Carfax. Showing this regular maintenance is very worthwhile if/when you want to sell this years from now. I always get oil changes done at the dealer specifically for this reason. Not only is the charge minimal, if not free with the wave program, but it will help you when you want to sell it. Plus you don’t have to do this yourself, as changing oil isn’t at the top of my list of enjoyable things to do.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My plan is to do my first oil change myself @ 3,000 because I don’t trust the dealership to not overfill mine. Does anyone have the maintenance manual or know the procedure for draining the oil cooler? I also need the torque specs for the drain plug(s). I have already looked in the owner’s manual and can’t find anything there other than oil capacity.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I will be going to the dealership as well and avail of the Jeep wave benefits. I always insist on the level 3 tech to do the oil changes for my hellcats. These are the guys who are specifically assigned to work on the Vipers, SRT’s, Hellcats and now the Trackhawks. They are also known as Viper techs.

Do not allow other mercenaries to touch the car. I only (no exceptions) schedule my appointment when I get a confirmation that the level 3 tech would be available to exclusively perform the task.

I have had no issues getting oil changes for my Hellcats, since they also require the oil cooler to be drained out.

·
Super Moderator
1,871 Posts
Well..... I found my oil filter loose from the factory and I was about a quart low. I topped it off, reported it to the dealership and tightened the filter. A few weeks later I take it in for warranty work and an oil change. I get it home and check the oil. At least a quart overfilled. Better at least double check their work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I will be going to the dealership as well and avail of the Jeep wave benefits. I always insist on the level 3 tech to do the oil changes for my hellcats. These are the guys who are specifically assigned to work on the Vipers, SRT’s, Hellcats and now the Trackhawks. They are also known as Viper techs.

Do not allow other mercenaries to touch the car. I only (no exceptions) schedule my appointment when I get a confirmation that the level 3 tech would be available to exclusively perform the task.

I have had no issues getting oil changes for my Hellcats, since they also require the oil cooler to be drained out.
Let me know where you are taking the TH, if you don’t mind. I finally arrived in MB. My TH was enclosed trailered out here after me and is here now. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me know where you are taking the TH, if you don’t mind. I finally arrived in MB. My TH was enclosed trailered out here after me and is here now. Appreciate the help.
10-4.

Glad to hear that you arrived.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will be doing my first oil change and filter at 1000km (600miles) not sure what oil they put in from the factory but I want to get any initial start up debris out and start fresh with Pennzoil 0w-40 full synthetic and a genuine filter. Also if you do your own oil change do not forget to drain the oil cooler it looks like a ***** to get to but it must be done!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do all of this myself and always have. I have saved myself thousands over the years in labour charges. If you keep your bills showing your oil and filter purchases, there is never an issue.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I do all of this myself and always have. I have saved myself thousands over the years in labour charges. If you keep your bills showing your oil and filter purchases, there is never an issue.
Thousands on saved labor for an oil change is a bit of a stretch. I believe I was paying around $10 per oil change with my previous GC SRT 8 at the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
1,871 Posts
$10/oil change? If you are paying that, then stick with it because I’ve never heard of that even if you bring the oil and filter with you. I use royal purple oil and filter and do the labor myself, then haul the oil to be recycled and my cost for changing the oil in the TH is nearly $100.

·
Registered
695 Posts
$10/oil change? If you are paying that, then stick with it because I’ve never heard of that even if you bring the oil and filter with you. I use royal purple oil and filter and do the labor myself, then haul the oil to be recycled and my cost for changing the oil in the TH is nearly $100.
I haven’t paid for it yet with the Trackhawk thanks to the wave program. Yes, I was bringing my own oil and filter, but they were changing and disposing of it. We’ll see once wave expires if I’m still charged the same rate with the Trackhawk. I think it was actually a little less than $10, I’d get some change back. LoL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thousands on saved labor for an oil change is a bit of a stretch. I believe I was paying around $10 per oil change with my previous GC SRT 8 at the dealership.
Ya....no.......I've saved thousands. Sorry to be honest. :smile2:
It costs a lot more than 10$ in labor charges, at least up here it does.

The dealer will charge you at least a half hour labor which is 45-50$. Multiply that by 20+ oil changes over the years of ownership on multiple vehicles that you own. It completely adds up to thousands of dollars.

Take full advantage of that 10$ as long as you can because that is a fantastic deal! :smile2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts