Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had my oil and filter changed! I was totally shocked to learn that the dealer said that the front fascia had to be removed in order to change the oil and filter.

·
Banned
362 Posts
I haven't changed mine yet but it's coming soon. I'm a DIY type so I hope that's not true. I haven't crawled under to check it out but looking from the top it's looks like it would be reasonably accessible without removing anything. I know it was a real PIA to change the filters on the GC STR's, so I hope this one is easier.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The official service information that I gleaned from another post and filed showed that only the 'belly pan' needed removed.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Made me go look, again. It's to cold outside to crawl under the TH right now so I just stuck my iphone under the vehicle and took a couple of pictures.

From these pictures it doesn't look like it's going to be that hard to change.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
The problem is that the Supercharger cooler has its own oil drain... Its debated on whether it HAS to be drained every oil change as any left in there will mix back in and eventually drain on the next round but for me, If I am changing the oil, I want as much of the old stuff out as I can get.

There are threads on another forum where some have had problems using the free Jeep Wave program where the dealer was only willing to do the normal drain and not take the belly pan off to drain the other...

Reactions: AlaskaMatt

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
Full change procedure, including the removal of the belly pan, here:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
I may be wrong but this drain is for the oil cooler not SC.
Nope, you are correct, apologies, I was thinking about one thing while typing out the other... Its the oil cooler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had my oil changed yesterday on the wave program. They wanted to charge me $85 to get the oil cooler. I passed, ill get it on my next change.

They said the belly panel and part of the fender had to be removed (extra hour). They said the cooler held about .5 qts.

Side note got my recall inspected. All good. At 5k miles and goin strong.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Had my oil changed yesterday on the wave program. They wanted to charge me $85 to get the oil cooler. I passed, ill get it on my next change.

They said the belly panel and part of the fender had to be removed (extra hour). They said the cooler held about .5 qts.

I thought they couldn’t even check for the recall issue until March 2nd by law. Mine has been sitting at the dealer for a month, I was told they can’t even look at it until then. Is yours handled differently because you already have possession?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure. I have read on multiple forums they are looking at them now.

The march 2nd originally came from that was the "estimated parts available" date on the recall. But late last week the recall website changed to "parts available" so i think that released the green light on fixing the recall. May be worth contacting the dealer, i know many have gotten inspected at this point.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Not sure. I have read on multiple forums they are looking at them now.

The march 2nd originally came from that was the "estimated parts available" date on the recall. But late last week the recall website changed to "parts available" so i think that released the green light on fixing the recall. May be worth contacting the dealer, i know many have gotten inspected at this point.
The NHTSA website still says it’s expcted to begin on March 2nd. I have no idea how you got yours checked already.

·
Banned
362 Posts
So yours was on the gas line recall list, correct? It sounds like they inspected it but found they didn't need to replace it? Correct?

I had read somewhere that they were going to replace them if your VIN was on the list regardless of how it looked. Actually I'm surprised that a dealer would not want to replace it every time since that's how they make money.

If they aren't replacing them automatically, I wonder how many they have found so far that needed to be replaced?

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
The NHTSA website still says it’s expected to begin on March 2nd. I have no idea how you got yours checked already.
The dealers have the info on what to inspect now, many have the parts but probably not all yet....

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
The dealers have the info on what to inspect now, many have the parts but probably not all yet....
Could it be that they’re handling it differently for those that have already taken delivery vs those that are sitting at the dealership waiting for March 2nd? It sounds like maybe if you’ve already taken possession of it, and they have the parts needed to address it, then they will address it now. Otherwise, for those of us that haven’t made the purchase yet, we are stuck till March 2nd rolls around. I think that may be what’s going on.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Could it be that they’re handling it differently for those that have already taken delivery vs those that are sitting at the dealership waiting for March 2nd? It sounds like maybe if you’ve already taken possession of it, and they have the parts needed to address it, then they will address it now. Otherwise, for those of us that haven’t made the purchase yet, we are stuck till March 2nd rolls around. I think that may be what’s going on.
You may be right but if that's true, it doesn't seem very smart of FCA "unless" they feel the risk is really very low with those already on the road. I have no way of knowing any of that. However it would be really interesting to know how many vehicles have actually had a problem that are included in this recall and how many needed to be fixed after inspections.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thats bullshit on the Wave Program changes. They should do the change as per FCA stated procedure. Not make something up. Its not been serviced as per manufacturers recommendations then. Pathetic.

Id be on the phone asking why the refuse to service the vehicle as FCA state and asking them to put in writing that ignoring factory recommendations will not void warranty etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So yours was on the gas line recall list, correct? It sounds like they inspected it but found they didn't need to replace it? Correct??
Correct, mine was on the recall list. They did the inspection. Determined it didnt need replaced.

When i put my vin into the "recall website" it still list the recall but now it says complete/inspected so it has been recorded in their records

·
Registered
11 Posts
As for the draining of the oil cooler. I did my own changes on my Challenger Hellcat and the amount that comes from the cooler, which I drained every time, is insignificant. I would not hesitate changing the oil and forego the oil cooler.

Anyone else want to chime in?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts