Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
That's pretty awesome.
From experience with a V8, you just need to find that RPM range where you can keep up with traffic and posted speeds and that's all you need to commute, no need to hoon it everywhere.

Plus these engines require so little to get up to posted speeds, can probably say around the 2k rpm mark easily.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty awesome.
From experience with a V8, you just need to find that RPM range where you can keep up with traffic and posted speeds and that's all you need to commute, no need to hoon it everywhere.

Plus these engines require so little to get up to posted speeds, can probably say around the 2k rpm mark easily.
Indeed, like hitting a nail with a sledge hammer. Do you know if FCA has cylinder deactivation tech?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Indeed, like hitting a nail with a sledge hammer. Do you know if FCA has cylinder deactivation tech?
Yeah, but they call it "Multi Displacement System"

Disabled 4 cylinders which is perfect for city driving and just about all low power requirements, and when Cayenne Turbo S owners are trying to pick on you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but they call it "Multi Displacement System"

Disabled 4 cylinders which is perfect for city driving and just about all low power requirements, and when Cayenne Turbo S owners are trying to pick on you.
no its not city driving, its highway driving that its good for. able to keep its revs and speed up without dumping fuel down 4 extra cylinders...

·
Registered
599 Posts
But even with city driving you don't need all 8 cylinders, it helps for both city driving where power demand from a big power plant is minimal to go with the flow of traffic, which on the highway is also the case... that is, if you're going with the flow of traffic and up to the speed limit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But even with city driving you don't need all 8 cylinders, it helps for both city driving where power demand from a big power plant is minimal to go with the flow of traffic, which on the highway is also the case... that is, if you're going with the flow of traffic and up to the speed limit.
in the city you benefit from more torque low down. Because it walks out of the hole better its better on gas then if it had to whine with only 4 cylinders.

Cylinder deactivation is a highway feature, not a city feature. Its just how the software's been written...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was once able to reach 22 mpg in my 14 SRT. Drove it like Grandma, and never repeated that feat again. I was very happy that my jeep could accomplish that. The highest I ever achieved in my 06 SRT was 15.5 mpg. This was all Highway.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I was once able to reach 22 mpg in my 14 SRT. Drove it like Grandma, and never repeated that feat again. I was very happy that my jeep could accomplish that. The highest I ever achieved in my 06 SRT was 15.5 mpg. This was all Highway.
That's the beauty of big engines... you could stick within a low RPM range... like 2000RPM and stay with the flow of traffic :D

But of course with that much power on tap... it's way too tempting to stay in the low range or to go easy on the throttle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is MPG that important for buyers of this type of vehicle?

I have a MY14 SRT, I didn't buy it for the fuel economy lol :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would assume anyone interested in the TrackHawk doesn't really care too much about the MPG and it may be even lower for me because I do love exercising my throttle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't think the fuel efficiency stats for either vehicles has been released yet. Maybe the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk will be similar to the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and for around 13 city / 15 combined / 19 highway MPG.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I don't think the fuel efficiency stats for either vehicles has been released yet. Maybe the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk will be similar to the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and for around 13 city / 15 combined / 19 highway MPG.
The way I look at it is at that point with that low of MPG any lower isn't going to do much to you especially when considerig how much lower it can get.

·
Registered
599 Posts
There seems to be a push for vehicles to get great mileage with the never vehicles. I don't really care as long as the mpg is reasonable.
As for as consumer concerns go that's what it's all about, what ever is reasonable for the times and for what they're willing to spent, but then there's the competition and what they have to do to stay ahead, another battle for them to face.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts