Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently FCA has been testing 4WD versions, possibly using the 8HP70 (Ram Diesel) 4WD system.

What are the chances we'll get it?

Discuss below...

·
Registered
88 Posts
They're all going to be 4WD. Jeep doesn't sell anything without 4WD :D Even the current SRT sends power to all four wheels via Jeep's Quadra-Trac SRT transfer case, wich is actually a mild torque vectoring system, mild in the sense only front rear not side to side transfer.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beefing up will be a requirement to let the 700hp power plant do what it does best

However, the transfer case and other 4WD components of the Jeep SRT are designed to handle 470 horsepower and 470lb-ft of torque..so jumping to over 700 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque would definitely take some beefing up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Beefing up will be a requirement to let the 700hp power plant do what it does best
Right, which is probably why you've heard them testing the system from the Cummins 2500. But thats an old school system. If they wanted to do it right they would create something more modern/electric. For the trailhawk no, but for the trackhawk they're allowed to sacrifice off road prowess...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, which is probably why you've heard them testing the system from the Cummins 2500. But thats an old school system. If they wanted to do it right they would create something more modern/electric. For the trailhawk no, but for the trackhawk they're allowed to sacrifice off road prowess...
Considering they're aiming for the type of buyer that would get an X5M or the like, offroad worthiness won't be nearly as much a concern anyways. Performance will be a top priority and what does it better than the rest.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Considering they're aiming for the type of buyer that would get an X5M or the like, offroad worthiness won't be nearly as much a concern anyways. Performance will be a top priority and what does it better than the rest.
Thats why I'm saying a legitimate vectoring system would be ideal. Have you see what RR has done with the SVR? I'm not saying Jeep needs to build an SVR, but I am saying that torque vectoring is trendy right now for marketing materials. If they want to legitimately entice shoppers on the higher bars they need more sophistication, unfortunately sophistication and robustness aren't always easy to bring together...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats why I'm saying a legitimate vectoring system would be ideal. Have you see what RR has done with the SVR? I'm not saying Jeep needs to build an SVR, but I am saying that torque vectoring is trendy right now for marketing materials. If they want to legitimately entice shoppers on the higher bars they need more sophistication, unfortunately sophistication and robustness aren't always easy to bring together...
Heard about it, have yet to delve into it.
But if RR is doing it they should at least see why RR went with it, how well it plays into their strategy or not, then see if they can make the case for it.

It's their time to shine, hope they don't mess it up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Heard about it, have yet to delve into it.
But if RR is doing it they should at least see why RR went with it, how well it plays into their strategy or not, then see if they can make the case for it.

It's their time to shine, hope they don't mess it up.
The difference is I suppose that RR is able to then share higher priced/more sophisticated components with Jag and other RR vehicles. Jeep will be in a tough spot to amortize this higher tech... IMO

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The difference is I suppose that RR is able to then share higher priced/more sophisticated components with Jag and other RR vehicles. Jeep will be in a tough spot to amortize this higher tech... IMO
Yes.

They may not be able to deliver the same type of tech to but what ever Jeep does needs to be sufficient, what's required of that... i'm not so sure of yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes.

They may not be able to deliver the same type of tech to but what ever Jeep does needs to be sufficient, what's required of that... i'm not so sure of yet.
Its not that Jeep is incapable of delivering or developing, its that beyond the one or 2 low volume models they have little in terms of high end product to amortize high end feature development

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a good point.
Most well established brands with a wide range of segments have that exact structure going on.

Going to be interesting to see this growth over at jeep

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's a good point.
Most well established brands with a wide range of segments have that exact structure going on.

Going to be interesting to see this growth over at jeep
The one angle I could see working is if they develop a predominately road based system thats capable of being shared with future sedans and other SUVs...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is the potential for that but as far as what i've seen that's not yet in the books, but at the rate things seem to be moving, it looks nearly 50/50

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is the potential for that but as far as what i've seen that's not yet in the books, but at the rate things seem to be moving, it looks nearly 50/50
it would be the type of thing that has application in future maseratis and alfas. a predominately performance driven system...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There was some information out today on a future Alfa sedan to get a ferrari engine.
That with this AWD system will do wonders for the brand.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There was some information out today on a future Alfa sedan to get a ferrari engine.
That with this AWD system will do wonders for the brand.
What AWD system... we still don't know if Jeep is developing a new system or using the old system... also its more likely the alfa sedan will use the AWD from the Ghibli..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts