Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the country. By country, I mean about 45 min. away from any considerably sized town. Most times when I need to fill up, I'm nowhere near a station that has 93 octane fuel.
Could I do more harm than good if I buy 91 octane fuel and add a container of octane fuel additive?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I live in the country. By country, I mean about 45 min. away from any considerably sized town. Most times when I need to fill up, I'm nowhere near a station that has 93 octane fuel.
Could I do more harm than good if I buy 91 octane fuel and add a container of octane fuel additive?
I've always been taught that those additives/octane boosters are just marketing hype and may end up doing more harm than good. IMO, I don't think you'll notice a difference between 91 & 93 nor will your Hawk.

·
Super Moderator
1,249 Posts
are you tuned for 93? if so yes you will harm it. if you are stock and just adding 91 or 93 then it dont matter use what you want as long as no less then 91. you wont know the difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The best octane boosters work, but they turn the spark plug's orange in color and the additives show up in your engine oil. I would go with 93.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 99% sure it's stock. I've only had it for 5/6 weeks. I bought it used with about 16k miles. I'm pretty sure the dealership I bought it from wouldn't have put it on the lot with a non-stock tune.

When I bought the Trackhawk, I remember being told I should use 93 octane. Because of that, I thought using 91 long term could be harmful in some way.

To give more background, I was considering buying a 500 gal fuel container. We live in a farming community and bulk fuel delivery is a normal thing out here. I could then have 93 octane fuel delivered in bulk 500 gals at a time. About 20 fill ups. The additional sale to my wife was it could also be used for the ATVs, snowmobiles, lawn tractor, and all that.

If I can use 91 in my Trackhawk no problem though, I could just buy that and use it in all the vehicles (wife and kids too) plus the other stuff which would be really convenient. So, everyone think 91 octane is ok full time in the Trackhawk?

·
Registered
32 Posts
How do you pump 91 from a 93 or 92 pump? Pump 2/3 93 and 1/3 87 or 4/5 92 and 1/5 87. I find it saves on cash and works just fine. (Based on what I'm doing with my 2014 hemi Overland [1/3 93 and 2/3 87 for 89 octane]). Anyone else do this?

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
How do you pump 91 from a 93 or 92 pump? Pump 2/3 93 and 1/3 87 or 4/5 92 and 1/5 87. I find it saves on cash and works just fine. (Based on what I'm doing with my 2014 hemi Overland [1/3 93 and 2/3 87 for 89 octane]). Anyone else do this?
What?!
Different states have different octane ratings. Premium in some states is 93, others is 91.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What?!
Different states have different octane ratings. Premium in some states is 93, others is 91.
I didn't know there was a 91 pump. I use a chart to get 89 cause it saves when mixing 87 and 93. I can use the same to get 91 cause here is only 87, 89, 92 or 93. It would be nice to have a 91 pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the area of WI I live in, stations primarily only have 87, 89, or 91. There's nobody offering 93 within 30 min of my house. Some stations in bigger areas have 93, but you gotta search. When I'm in a bigger town though, I use www.find93.com to find the ones that have it. It's been right most times so far.

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
I didn't know there was a 91 pump. I use a chart to get 89 cause it saves when mixing 87 and 93. I can use the same to get 91 cause here is only 87, 89, 92 or 93. It would be nice to have a 91 pump.
That seems like a lot of effort to save money on fuel. I wouldn’t do this on a TH. How much for you figure you are saving per tank? $1-2 at most?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The idea for purchasing a bulk fuel tank and having fuel delivered is so I can have 93 octane fuel. Add convenience and thats all I'm getting out of it. I doubt I'll even break even.
That's why I asked about using 91 octane in my TH insteadof 93. Between 4 family vehicles and several recreational toys, I'll at least break even much faster and gain a ton of convenience.

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
I’m not so sure you want to store gasoline these days. I haven’t researched it or anything, just repeating things I’ve heard but people say not to store gasoline for long periods of time for a multitude of reasons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That seems like a lot of effort to save money on fuel. I wouldn’t do this on a TH. How much for you figure you are saving per tank? $1-2 at most?
Something like that. I had been doing that on my 2005 hemi Limited. I sold it this year. I am also doing it on my 2014 hemi Overland, so that's a lot of pumps of gas saving a few bucks. Never had engine problems with either. I think its safe to do this on a trackhawk as long as the min rating is 91.

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
It’s your Jeep, do whatever you want with it, is what I say. Just never heard of anyone doing this before. There’s another guy on here that mixes 91 with E85 but that’s not on a stock application. I run straight corn on mine unless I’m going on a road trip and then I’ll switch over to gasoline but I have separate times so it’s a bit more involved to swap fuels for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I have no plans to modify my TH right now. Just making sure the fuel I'm using, or planning to use, is sufficient and won't lead to future problems. I appreciate all the input.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’m not so sure you want to store gasoline these days. I haven’t researched it or anything, just repeating things I’ve heard but people say not to store gasoline for long periods of time for a multitude of reasons.
After 3 months or so 93 octane becomes 87 octane or even lower. That's a fact. The only thing that might prevent it is how much you're storing it. The more you have it, the longer it will take to lower the octane.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No, I have no plans to modify my TH right now. Just making sure the fuel I'm using, or planning to use, is sufficient and won't lead to future problems. I appreciate all the input.
Anything lower 91 octane is where you will have problems, but it won't be instantanious. If you're going on vacation and you really need gas and they don't have 91 octane there, 87 would be ok if you do it once, but I wouldn't floor it, I would drive as light as possible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts