Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
On the backing plate oval rubber plug, remove, will see star gear to rotate with brake tool. Rotate tire as adjusting til shoe begins to touch inner drum, try to make both sides the same, if foot lever does not tighten up, there may be a adjusting bolt rod to tighten up to reduce brake lever travel, if not cable stretched or emergency brake shoes worn out or fluid got on shoes. Would not think adjustment would be necessary unless someone drove around with emergency brake on.

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
The parking brake doesn’t work so great until you get to the end of the pedal travel on mine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The parking brake doesn’t work so great until you get to the end of the pedal travel on mine.
Mine completely doesn't work. I pushed it all the way to the end and put it in drive/reverse and my car just starts rolling. I think what happened was that my rear brakes were changed and they didn't adjust it or previous guy was driving with hand brake on. I may need to take them off completely and see if pads are still good for the hand brake.

I found the adjustment, I just need to roll on a lift, cause I need both rear wheels off the ground.

·
Vendor
20 Posts
This video can show you how to adjust the rear drum brake. Note this is a Full drum brake w/hydraulic cylinder which is a standard in those old days, for most modern cars the rear are now equipped with disc brake while still retain the drum (narrower brake shoes) only for parking/emergency which is activated by a cable (hand or foot) so no hydraulic cylinder like the video shown.

The rear rotor drum after used, is subject to wear and will get larger (as the brake shoes expands). The drum size of a new rotor shall be made to the original diameter (eg. 205mm for SRT8), so the installer must adjust the brake shoe to restore to a position in order to fit the NEW drum - depending on the brake shoe condition (New or how worn out), just like you must compress the piston back in order to install a new rotor and/or new pad on a brake caliper.

The wear of rear drum parking usually is minimal (only occurs when you forgot to release the parking brake) for an one piece rotor (drum is cast iron), but if it's for a two piece rotors w/aluminum hat it would be a different story.

Rear two piece rotors - Just for the weight saving?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts