Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Hi,
I just finished installing the afe CAI. I bought it direct on sale but it's still more than twice the price of the new k&N (didn't know that was coming out). I got delivery exactly when promissed. I now doubt there is much performance difference, I had the green filter in my old airbox. Made a couple of runs (each) to 60 with the old and the new today. It's 82 deg here in South Florida. I got the same 0-60 of 3.8 in track, no power braking. Same time with both intakes. I am not surprised so you might wonder why I bought the AFE. I am on my second stock unit because the rubber turns white as you can see in the picture. I really disliked that look plus who knows what that could drop into the intake so I went carbon fiber. We know it almost matches the inside trim.. I don't usually go for looks under the hood, just performance but it does look good. I have only driven a few miles but so far, I have no noise issue. I will see if my wife notices.
So no noticable performance . Im also interested in the whine. Have you checked any differences in iat ot ic temps?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Anybody get theirs yet that ordered through Afe direct. Its getting riddiculous. Still cant get a solid shipping eta . I ordered mine on Nov 11 . Its been 2 months

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine Shipped! I think they made like 14 and i was the 14th order... If you didnt get it this batch... I think it might be a bit longer....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Strange I decided to order an AFE cai yesterday not in a hurry at all, Hawk is not coming out till spring. and to my surprise it already shipped. Even though jegs and summit say February 6th is the best ship date. must have got lucky. oh and the 10% off code earlier in this post works. I must have got LIL Hemi's cancelled order lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Got mine last week its a great intake. I can already see cooler iats and ic temps. Im in mi it maybe due to the 30° winter weather also. My stock air box iat would hover at high 90s in the same temp . Now they are in low 80s even high 70s periodically. My ic temps are about 6-7°cooler than the stock box . The intake does feel like its given a little power over stock . The strange thing is in normal mode every so often if you roll into the throttle hard its done this wierd thing after upshift where it feels like it cuts power. Its only really done it a few times but i dont recall it doing this on stock box wierd. I made a post on here about it if anyone has any input.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Strange I decided to order an AFE cai yesterday not in a hurry at all, Hawk is not coming out till spring. and to my surprise it already shipped. Even though jegs and summit say February 6th is the best ship date. must have got lucky. oh and the 10% off code earlier in this post works. I must have got LIL Hemi's cancelled order lol.
A friend of mine got his 3 days ago as well through Jegs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ordered mine on December 3rd and they originally said it was going to be in the 12/11 batch. When they told me it was delayed I thought about cancelling. I was out of the country anyway at the beginning of the year so I let it ride. Finally got it on Tuesday. I have to find some time to install it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ordered mine on December 3rd and they originally said it was going to be in the 12/11 batch. When they told me it was delayed I thought about cancelling. I was out of the country anyway at the beginning of the year so I let it ride. Finally got it on Tuesday. I have to find some time to install it.
Well, sometimes a bit of patience pays off! Glad you got it! Let us know how it goes with the install and if you like it! I'm looking at getting one closer to the summer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Install was pretty easy. It took longer to properly seat the seal trim on the housing than the actual install. I was coming from the stock air box with a drop-in green filter. I feel like that mod produced more noticeable sound when first installed than the jump to the AFE. I hear a little more whine, but my exhaust (mid muffler delete with Vibrant 1794 resonators) over powers it. I will have to test to see if there are any performance gains (trap speed gains in similar past conditions) but based on seat of the pants I doubt it will have any quantifiable impact. But who knows maybe I will be surprised.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Install was pretty easy. It took longer to properly seat the seal trim on the housing than the actual install. I was coming from the stock air box with a drop-in green filter. I feel like that mod produced more noticeable sound when first installed than the jump to the AFE. I hear a little more whine, but my exhaust (mid muffler delete with Vibrant 1794 resonators) over powers it. I will have to test to see if there are any performance gains (trap speed gains in similar past conditions) but based on seat of the pants I doubt it will have any quantifiable impact. But who knows maybe I will be surprised.
That rubber seal is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Installed mine last night replacing my JLT. The only reason I wanted to try the AFE was for the inclosed box. The SC whine is very loud with the JLT. Very happy with the AFE. You can hear the blower a touch more then stock, but not over bearing anymore.

·
Super Moderator
1,711 Posts
You’re going to want to make sure your year model is compatible with whatever intake you wind up going with.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Installed mine a few weeks ago on my DD TH and wanted to put a thousand or more miles on it before reporting back hear, it’s definitely is a real nice product from AFE, fit and finish is really nice and it actually seals to the hood, but like the Momentum intake I have on my JGC SRT it doesn’t sit on and seal to the bottom plate of the stock intake that stays in place, it has about 3/8” gap allowing hot engine bay air to get sucked in so I cut out to the shape of the opening some 3/8” Dynamat and filled the gap, works great, it definitely is 50% to 70% quieter than the DDR intake I had on before, the DDR intake whine was getting a bit old and annoying I did like the whine at the beginning but after 20k miles of the DDR loud whine the AFE quieter whine is a welcome change to my ears. Heat soak in stop and go traffic with the DDR the intake temps would get to 155* to 160*, with the AFE it has yet to pass 145* although average intake temps in normal driving conditions the DDR would be about 2* to 3* colder and I asume this is because the DDR is open to the grill in the hood. Throttle response are very equal but I feel the DDR ever so slightly better. One thing for sertain though with the stock intake I would only see 10 psi boost, when I put the green filter on I would see 11 psi boost more often than not, with the DDR it would be always 11 psi with an occasional 12 psi and now with the AFE I’m seeing 12 psi boost almost all the time at WOT, must be an efficient filter and for sure the design of the massive Carbon Fiber intake tube must help as well. I’ve yet to take it to the dyno to compare it to my DDR the DDR gave almost 25 more HP over stock, I’m waiting for American Muscle to free up the dyno so I can hop on and do a few pulls to compare.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Installed mine a few weeks ago on my DD TH and wanted to put a thousand or more miles on it before reporting back hear, it’s definitely is a real nice product from AFE, fit and finish is really nice and it actually seals to the hood, but like the Momentum intake I have on my JGC SRT it doesn’t sit on and seal to the bottom plate of the stock intake that stays in place, it has about 3/8” gap allowing hot engine bay air to get sucked in so I cut out to the shape of the opening some 3/8” Dynamat and filled the gap, works great, it definitely is 50% to 70% quieter than the DDR intake I had on before, the DDR intake whine was getting a bit old and annoying I did like the whine at the beginning but after 20k miles of the DDR loud whine the AFE quieter whine is a welcome change to my ears. Heat soak in stop and go traffic with the DDR the intake temps would get to 155* to 160*, with the AFE it has yet to pass 145* although average intake temps in normal driving conditions the DDR would be about 2* to 3* colder and I asume this is because the DDR is open to the grill in the hood. Throttle response are very equal but I feel the DDR ever so slightly better. One thing for sertain though with the stock intake I would only see 10 psi boost, when I put the green filter on I would see 11 psi boost more often than not, with the DDR it would be always 11 psi with an occasional 12 psi and now with the AFE I’m seeing 12 psi boost almost all the time at WOT, must be an efficient filter and for sure the design of the massive Carbon Fiber intake tube must help as well. I’ve yet to take it to the dyno to compare it to my DDR the DDR gave almost 25 more HP over stock, I’m waiting for American Muscle to free up the dyno so I can hop on and do a few pulls to compare.
Great update X+ Pilot, thank you. Sounds like the simple $80 drop-in green filter is very similar to the $700 AFE so I may stay with my green filter for now. Love the way AFE looks but think they're still a little too proud of their product.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts