Jeep Trackhawk Forum banner

Afe cold air for trackhawk

43K views 131 replies 37 participants last post by  AllGoodPhotos 
#1 ·
Hi all just wanted to see if anyone has purchased this cold air yet ? Looks nice but kinda expensive.

#4 ·
Talked to AFE about it already. Not released yet, will be tomorrow, on the 31st.

Looks to be the best one you can get, considering it's the only one that I found that uses a box that seals against the hood, and makes use of the little "Ram Air" thing that you can open up on the Rad Crossmember.

I'll be ordering one as soon as they go "live".

#6 ·
I have their CAI Momentum GT on my 15’ JGC SRT, works very well, I dyno’ed it back to back and it gave a 17 hp increase. I’m not a fan of AFE, had lots of problems with their cat back and catalytics and their customer service sucks but this CAI workes good so I think the one for the TH will produce good results.

Reactions: Broken98
#7 ·
I have one on order... Should be here tomorrow or early next week....

I had the bwoody... Very hot and made you use a special plug (Gave it away)

Then legmaker.... Really nice, and kept temps down better then metal piping. but had no shielding (Sitting in my closet)

JLT is on there now.... The shield does an OK job of shielding the CAI from the headers and engine.

AFE is on the way and is what we plan to use going forward.... Hopefully it gets here tomorrow or early next week.. (Ordered it a month ago) Ill be sure to let you know how it works... Although my truck will never see a dyno again.

#10 ·
Yeah, AFE got hammered when they posted this product on the TH FB page. But ****, it looks like a top notch quality kit. Too bad I don't want more intake noise otherwise I would order this in a heart-beat.

#12 ·
Very cool looking unit, but highly unlikely it would out perform the JLT. Apples to apples performance gains between the two I'm sure, but if it did out preform the JLT, you would never feel the difference. It's fancy and all but to me, not worth the added cost.

#13 ·
This is the ONLY one that isolates the filter from underhood heat, and also allows it to breathe through the hole in the hood.

Overall power gains are prob the same for all of the intakes, sure, but this one will allow you to maintain those power levels ALOT better than the others, once things get real hot under the hood after a few runs.

#15 ·
The blower is pulling air thru the intake. The blower is quite hot itself. A cold air kit is not helping as much as it would on a NA setup. The blower air heats it up substantially more then what is pulled into the throttle body. Go for the intake kit that you like for looks or what you prefer. All the power will be very similar.

#21 ·
I went with a not so popular vendor for my intake. I Hydro dipped it with carbon fiber to match the engine, added a 1/4" of DynaMat to insulate it from engine heat and it has the Ram Air inlet.

I thought the idea of the AFE intake was cool when I found out last year they were making one. I just didn't like how it would stand out all by itself and no other carbon fiber under the hood.

Besides not being able to wait, I thought this idea would bring it all together for a better look. I would like to see someone match it with everything else though.

Attachments

#22 ·
Just talked to AFE since I haven't gotten a Tracking Number yet.

Now they're saying the intakes are on backorder until around 12/13, which is bullshit, because last time I talked to them, that person said they'd be shipping immediately, the day they became "live" on the site.

WTF did they do, make only 10 of them for the initial release?!?!

I'm pissed now...

#34 ·
Maybe it’s just me, but on this particular platform, I don’t think 10hp is going to make or break you considering how much weight is being dragged around. I don’t think anyone is noting any significant difference in sound between intakes either. I think the main concern with any aftermarket intake (as long as it’s got a good filter element) is an increase in IAT’s. This intake sure is pretty but it’s a couple hundred bucks more than the competition. In the end, all that really matters is if you’re happy or not.

#35 ·
At speed, pretty much all the iat numbers even out for all the CAI’s. There was a fairly extensive test on the other forum a bunch year back that showed the flow of air, and any air turbulence it may or may not have created, had a bigger impact on performance then any iat temp it created. This was all oem blower and TB, btw. When we change that, it becomes a whole other discussion and POV.

And not sure it’s been discussed here either, but the “iat” temp you see on the screen is the after sc’r iat reading, not the temp immediately post filter. So, basing any conclusion on that reading really isn’t the entire picture of what a “CAI” is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#41 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the price drop. Hopefully afe will also honor the 10% discount coupon too.
Of all the CAI’s on the market, putting aside all the HP increase claims, I like the way the afe looks like the way the factory CAI looks on the Demon / Redeye. IMHO.

Has any member of the forum, that ordered one, received theirs?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.