Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search regarding everyone's posts on afe cold air intake and apologize if it's been discussed and I didn't see it, but I recently added the afe and although there's noticeable difference in the throttle response which is nice, my Trackhawk is throwing a code and the engine light is on. Afe tells me this is normal and once the PCM manages/gets used to the new air flow it will go off (they told me not to clear the code). Has anyone else seen this? Did anyone else who's installed an afe thrown a code?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Two questions:

1. How long has the AFE CAI been installed?
2. How many miles since installed?

I installed mine a month ago and have ~250 miles on it and have not seen any codes. So either it has not thrown a code or it has and the PCM is already used to the new air flow. I will keep an eye out and report back if I see any code.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
243 Posts
Is the air flow sensor installed in the proper direction, not sides ways to air flow. Just a thought, I took off rubber boot for OEM air cleaner, to try to clean off all the brown crap from the outside & inside. There was a notch to install sensor in the proper direction.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As well as PCV plumbing, all good and tight? Like Lil Hemi said CAI should not throw codes. Never thrown a code with my AFE or DDR intakes.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the air flow sensor installed in the proper direction, not sides ways to air flow. Just a thought, I took off rubber boot for OEM air cleaner, to try to clean off all the brown crap from the outside & inside. There was a notch to install sensor in the proper direction.
I will check this as that would be the only difference.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked and there's only one way to install the temp sensor in the afe intake.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think we'll need the code to better determine the problem. It should be readable on the DIC.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Could be as simple as battery voltage or a bad throttle body. Check this out...

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
“3. Check for any signs of a foreign material (ice, dirt, or excessive carbon build up) on the throttle plate or in the bore causing the throttle plate to stick.”

Hhmmm..... maybe that’s where the O-ring went 😩😂 .... naa just kidding.

When I was switching between the AFE and the DDR the air intake temp sensor O-ring broke so I wrapped enough Teflon tape around it to make a good air tight snug fit, I’ve since got another air intake temp sensor to make switching between CAI’s quicker.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
“3. Check for any signs of a foreign material (ice, dirt, or excessive carbon build up) on the throttle plate or in the bore causing the throttle plate to stick.”

Hhmmm..... maybe that’s where the O-ring went 😩😂 .... naa just kidding.

When I was switching between the AFE and the DDR the air intake temp sensor O-ring broke so I wrapped enough Teflon tape around it to make a good air tight snug fit, I’ve since got another air intake temp sensor to make switching between CAI’s quicker.
When I replace the temp sensor I will check the TB for anything that may be in there (doubtful but will check) but it's got to be an air leak of some sort without the o-ring. Can't believe missing that little o-ring would be enough to throw a code but that's the only difference so we'll see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts