Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently noticed that my air intake temps when starting up are much higher than they were, say a week ago. JLT CAI has been installed about 3 weeks now, so I have been watching my temperatures pretty regularly to see if there has been any difference.

For example, drove home from work yesterday, parked in the driveway and about an hour later I pulled into the garage. I noticed the air intake temps were at like 135 degrees after it had been sitting for over an hour, thought it was a little strange. Woke up this morning to go the the gym, TH hadn't been started since around 6pm the night before and the intake temps were already at 89 degrees, when a week ago they were more like 60-70 degrees at start up.

Once I begin driving the temps are around 95-110 depending on how much stop and go there is.

Any one else notice this or what could be causing the high temps at start up?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your temp sensor oriented correctly? If it has rotated, it will effect your readings, making them higher.
Don't believe so, this wouldn't just rotate on it's own would it? Sensor fit pretty tightly in the intake tube when installing it.

The rise in temperature has only been in the last couple of days and the CAI has been on for 3 weeks or so.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
I wouldn’t think it would move once installed but it would explain the scenario. Worth checking. I’ve got a LMI and the sensor slides through a grommet so you could orient it wrong or have it too far/not far enough into the tube. I tried looking at the jlt pics but couldn’t see how the sensor mounts.

Other than that, has the ambient temp gone up? That would also be an easy explanation

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to check it out this evening. 1:42 mark is how the sensor fits into the JLT if you were curious

Temps have stayed within 10-15 degrees in the early mornings, 35-45 the last couple of days.

·
Registered
267 Posts
the higher temp on startup after the hour of being off is completely normal as the engine was hot, and heat soaked the blower. this is typical and normal, and. take hours(10?) to dissipate all heat down to ambient temps. In general I wouldnt worry about this, and almost everyone with a CAI notices slightly higher readings when at idle or low speed(takes the air longer to "clear the system" from bigger intake length.

36lbs of oil pressure seems low in comparison to what I'm seeing. mine reads between mid 60s at the lowest and mid 70s on startup. near 80 at WOT

·
Registered
267 Posts
I let mine sit in Park after a long drive today, and it eventually dropped down to 46 psi. it was 40 out so if you are in a warmer climate upper 30s for psi seems ok. ��

I just opened a new thread about Oil psi so as to get some comparisons, mine has always seemed a bit high, much higher than my LSA ctsv.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Are you 100% on this? I’ve got a legmaker intake and it just has a grommet to insert the probe through, making it easy to adjust the depth as well as the rotation of the sensor (not that you’d want to). Long story short, I installed normally n went for a drive and then gave it a 90 degree twist and noticed a considerable increase in the displayed IAT, maybe 20 degrees. Returned to the correct position and the temp went back to the first test.

I’m pretty sure there is also a post SC temp sensor that the PCM uses to calculate timing n such. I’m not saying I’m 100% on this but I think the IAT displayed is the one on the actual intake.

What do u say flip?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you 100% on this? I’ve got a legmaker intake and it just has a grommet to insert the probe through, making it easy to adjust the depth as well as the rotation of the sensor (not that you’d want to). Long story short, I installed normally n went for a drive and then gave it a 90 degree twist and noticed a considerable increase in the displayed IAT, maybe 20 degrees. Returned to the correct position and the temp went back to the first test.

I’m pretty sure there is also a post SC temp sensor that the PCM uses to calculate timing n such. I’m not saying I’m 100% on this but I think the IAT displayed is the one on the actual intake.

What do u say flip?
Yep, 100%. Plus in HPTuners, it logs as ACT (Aircharge temp).

See here:

https://www.hellcat.org/threads/sensor-locations.75033/#post-1423889

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Wonder why I saw such a difference when I tried it. Too few data points maybe? I didn’t see anything labeled IAT by the post by fnkychkn though. Not trying to argue or anything, just trying to learn about this platform. Keep us up to date with what you’re doing down there, cooler temps should be headed your way before long.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wonder why I saw such a difference when I tried it. Too few data points maybe? I didn’t see anything labeled IAT by the post by fnkychkn though. Not trying to argue or anything, just trying to learn about this platform. Keep us up to date with what you’re doing down there, cooler temps should be headed your way before long.
The IAT reading is the TMAP reading at the back of the supercharger, or it may be an average of 2 TMAP sensors.

Things start to cool down towards end of March and heading into April. I'm in the sub tropical part of Australia so it only gets down to 45f at the dead of night in winter and mid 60s during the day. Thankfully my upgraded interchiller will be firmly kicking ass. Sub zero temps are on the way!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts