Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably beating the deadest horse left in the aftermarket performance stable, but has anyone done _real_ testing on available aftermarket cat-backs for our THs to see if there is any power to be had there?

Been around the game for 25+ years and usually, on a stock/near stock vehicle, these provide next to no tangible performance gains, but are primarily for improved/preferred exhaust note. But wanted to see if there is some verifiable data out there.

Thx.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not saying i have any experience as my TH is stock. But there is a known crease in the exhaust after one of the mufflers. I would assume you'd pay a few thousand for sound and 5-10hp (which you'd likely never notice).

So the answer...is likely. Nope.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, there is basically deafening silence on several forums with response to my question... and those few who have responded agree with you (which is what I surmised anyway).

Borla sounds good, but I'm not paying $1600 for sound alone.

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
By itself, no, 99% sure you would see very little, if any real world increase.

MAYBE if you were changing pulleys and feeding more air in, a larger / better flowing exhaust might help supplement it a bit with the extra room for that additional air to escape...

But I doubt it, I think the only way you would see real world increases would be to also add in headers and high flow (or no) cats...

Personally I am a bit OCD and that pinch they put in the factory exhaust annoys the hell out of me. That plus the increase in sound makes it worth it.

But do I REALLY expect to see any HP increase? Nope.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree with this, Ive seen Dyno graphs with 10-20hp gains from disconnecting the catback but thats not something that you will "feel". On a stock vehicle, headers, or catback, usually won't gain much power.

you don't need to spend 1600+ on a good exhaust. I personally think that borla sounds way too raspy, and the atak is goofy loud. I went with the magna flow cat back, very deep and louder at idle and WOT with minimal noise increase when cruising around. #15064 I got it was 900 shipped during the holidays and installed myself in the garage in 1 1/2 hours. super easy I recommend big channel locks for the hangers and you'll need a Dremel or something real to knock off the baby tack welds that I suppose hold the tips in place (when stock) if your clamps somehow were to fall off.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the feedback, and this is what I figured. Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I believe I am looking for the exact same thing as you (deeper and louder at idle and WOT but minimal noise increase when cruising? Does your magnaflow have any drone cause other similar systems (SW) seem to have some and that would be a no go on my end.

I agree with this, Ive seen Dyno graphs with 10-20hp gains from disconnecting the catback but thats not something that you will "feel". On a stock vehicle, headers, or catback, usually won't gain much power.

you don't need to spend 1600+ on a good exhaust. I personally think that borla sounds way too raspy, and the atak is goofy loud. I went with the magna flow cat back, very deep and louder at idle and WOT with minimal noise increase when cruising around. #15064 I got it was 900 shipped during the holidays and installed myself in the garage in 1 1/2 hours. super easy I recommend big channel locks for the hangers and you'll need a Dremel or something real to knock off the baby tack welds that I suppose hold the tips in place (when stock) if your clamps somehow were to fall off.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Drone is a relative term.

Is there more in cabin noise than stock? definitely.

Does it actually drone? no, or very rarely, its almost like I have to make it happen, as its only when im in 8th gear going like 45 at 1400/1500 rpm. its not bad as if the whole cabin vibrates, its more like the harmonic resonance just makes it reverberate slightly more than usual. Im happy with the exhaust and have been known to leave the exhaust shop multiple times in one day, adding resonators, or changing mufflers, or adding x pipe, for the perfect tone. the magna flow was good enough right from the factory. its deeper. its less farty, more deceleration pops(albeit slightly muffled) and overall really exactly what I was looking for. I personally thought the stock system was WAY too raspy and farty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We had a few customers independently dyno our kit on their Trackhawks and they all saw between 11 and 13 hp and tq gains at the wheels, throughout the power band. This is right along the lines of what we expected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts