Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '18 Trackhawk with 34k miles that developed a minor, occasional groaning noise in the front end while turning at low speed (<15mph) about 6 months ago. I had the differential oil changed, then I took it to the dealer and they flashed an ECM and it seemed to help a bit but the noise came back. Has anybody else experienced this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
sounds like the transfer case. Theres a couple threads on this. When you have the wheel turned all the way, do you notice a stutter or shutter? Does it jump/lurch until you gain speed or straighten the wheel? If so strong indicator its the TF case.
Mine was replaced after only a year (during corona) - my dealer indicates the transfer case is weak on the entire GC platform despite the TH having a beefier one.

When they replaced mine they forgot to reinstall the factory tune for the trans or something like that. I would ask them to look into that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Raise front end off of ground and grab wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock position. Does it wiggle? If so, wheel bearing is bad.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Raise front end off of ground and grab wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock position. Does it wiggle? If so, wheel bearing is bad.
Wheel bearing is not uncommon. Idk if it would explain your noise but it’s definitely been an issue before for other members

·
Registered
147 Posts
sounds like the transfer case. Theres a couple threads on this. When you have the wheel turned all the way, do you notice a stutter or shutter? Does it jump/lurch until you gain speed or straighten the wheel? If so strong indicator its the TF case.
Mine was replaced after only a year (during corona) - my dealer indicates the transfer case is weak on the entire GC platform despite the TH having a beefier one.

When they replaced mine they forgot to reinstall the factory tune for the trans or something like that. I would ask them to look into that.
BINGO. That's the first thing I was going to say, Transfer Case. I hear and read about Transfer cases having issues, before I hear about any other drivetrain issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts