Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a boat and it's weighing in at 7200 lbs. According to Jeep, that is max towing capacity.

I don't need to pull it far, but I do need to get it around and to the marina. Just debating if I need to buy a truck just to pull the boat around.

Has anyone ever tried towing this kind of weight? If so, what was the result?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,782 Posts
I’m pretty sure the towing capacity is due to the GC platform itself and not the driveline because the Durango tows more (I think). I’d think that tiny amount of towing would be ok. Pics of the boat??

·
Registered
157 Posts
That rating is largely (completely?) because of the bogus J2807 tests. With lesser engines the rating goes down to almost half.

Does the extra power make the GC heavier, or have a longer wheelbase? Nope.
The one thing the Trackhawk has over other GCs in real life is the better brakes, but I still wouldn't tow even 720 lbs. with mine.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the 7,200 lbs. rating is only good if you use a weight distributing hitch.

Full disclaimer: I will not tow even an empty 18' flatbed trailer with my Ram 1500. For something like your boat I'd use my Ram 3500. Although a 2500 would do just fine, but I don't have one of those.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I towed a 5k LB truck on a 2k LB trailer from Southern AZ to Northern CA with out any problems. One of my first few Mods were to install a RedArc brake controller and Powerstop brake pads. No worries towing at all!

·
Registered
195 Posts
My boat and trailer combo tips the scales at 6400 lbs add a couple of passengers and cargo and I’m close to 7000 lbs, in tow mode she barely squats an inch and unless someone tells you “hey you got a boat back there” you couldn’t even tell, that’s how well this TrackHawk tows. Cruises effortlessly at 70-80 mph and brakes are fantastic.

Reactions: Black Track

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My boat and trailer combo tips the scales at 6400 lbs add a couple of passengers and cargo and I’m close to 7000 lbs, in tow mode she barely squats an inch and unless someone tells you “hey you got a boat back there” you couldn’t even tell, that’s how well this TrackHawk tows. Cruises effortlessly at 70-80 mph and brakes are fantastic.
Thanks so much for the info and answer!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I towed a 5k LB truck on a 2k LB trailer from Southern AZ to Northern CA with out any problems. One of my first few Mods were to install a RedArc brake controller and Powerstop brake pads. No worries towing at all!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m pretty sure the towing capacity is due to the GC platform itself and not the driveline because the Durango tows more (I think). I’d think that tiny amount of towing would be ok. Pics of the boat??

Thanks so much!! I'll post some pics!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Towed at the rated capacity from Colorado to Oregon with no problems other than keeping under the speed limit. The Hard Rock as fully loaded, stuff under it and the UHaul trailer is heavy to start with. If the trailer has brakes it does make a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I haven't towed anything yet with the TrackHawk only bike rack for MTBs. I still need to order the tongue and ball for hitch. I have towed my cars and motorcycles with my Tundra but sold it and didnt keep the tongue with 2" ball.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
How do you keep the bikes on there at top speed?

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Towed at the rated capacity from Colorado to Oregon with no problems other than keeping under the speed limit. The Hard Rock as fully loaded, stuff under it and the UHaul trailer is heavy to start with. If the trailer has brakes it does make a difference.
Wow!
Did you encounter any strong cross-winds on your trip? That's what I'd mostly be concerned about with a tall and heavy trailer load like that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No heavy winds. Just a bigger brick then the TH up higher.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How do you keep the bikes on there at top speed?
HAHAHA didnt try top speed but one thing for sure I forgot to turn off the sensors? When I put it in reverse and it slammed on brakes. lmao

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now that's the perfect way to get to your next 4wd outing!

·
Registered
248 Posts
HAHAHA didnt try top speed but one thing for sure I forgot to turn off the sensors? When I put it in reverse and it slammed on brakes. lmao
Definitely turn off the parking sensors before backing up with a trailer or hooking up. I forget every time. LOL

·
Registered
56 Posts
Both photos are of me towing. Not to capacity of course. But towed better than my 1992 Diesel pickup, with more comfort.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts