Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what this is? I found 2 inside my car, somewhat hidden. Previous owner must've put them there. I assume it's some sort of RFID locator or something. I don't know if I have more of them inside my car. Previous owner owned a Storage place/s. Just wondering what they are.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Anyone know what this is? I found 2 inside my car, somewhat hidden. Previous owner must've put them there. I assume it's some sort of RFID locator or something. I don't know if I have more of them inside my car. Previous owner owned a Storage place/s. Just wondering what they are.

View attachment 9235

View attachment 9236
Yes, RFID tags. The tag code is often printed on the outside for programing (1c63ed5) and your second one likely has a different yet similar code on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Was it a leased car previously? Sometimes the leasing company want to be able to track it ... just in case...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Was it a leased car previously? Sometimes the leasing company want to be able to track it ... just in case...
RFID does not have the range for this nor a power source, however leasing companies or banks have been known to install GPS systems into vehicles to track them. Typically they are hooked up under the dashboard and powered by the vehicles electrical system.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if it was leased or not, but I know that the guy owned storage units, I think he was the owner. Possibly leased, but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RFID does not have the range for this nor a power source, however leasing companies or banks have been known to install GPS systems into vehicles to track them. Typically they are hooked up under the dashboard and powered by the vehicles electrical system.
I guess I may need to dig around under the dashboard to see if I find anything else. Thx

·
Registered
152 Posts
I guess I may need to dig around under the dashboard to see if I find anything else. Thx
Definitely, also check the center console storage cubbie under the climate controls. There is a nearly hidden shelf in there directly above the USB ports that often hides your wallet or favorite sunglasses 😎 until you buy another pair. 😆

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely, also check the center console storage cubbie under the climate controls. There is a nearly hidden shelf in there directly above the USB ports that often hides your wallet or favorite sunglasses 😎 until you buy another pair. 😆
That's where I found one of them and another one was under the rear seat. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was more somewhere. As long as these are not long transmitters I'm not too worried about it as this car is more than 500mile away from where I bought it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's where I found one of them and another one was under the rear seat. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was more somewhere. As long as these are not long transmitters I'm not too worried about it as this car is more than 500mile away from where I bought it.
Those are very short range and typically need to be within a foot of the reader to be read. Those fobs have no internal power source so they (the many coils of fine wire inside) need to be close to the reader pad to get "energized" so the chip inside can temporarily transmit its code. Works similarly to a wireless phone charger pad where your phone cannot be very far from it or the battery will not charge.

Once those fobs are away from a reader they stop transmitting so no worries if there are more somewhere inside the Jeep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts