Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
432 Posts
The problem with tire size si to respect front and rear ratios. What happens is the center diff needs to compensate the difference of ratios so the awd doesn’t bind. Perfect example are the mechanical center diffs, when running different size tires or have old fronts/rears with new front/rears you would feel a jerk every “x” miles. Its the tires slipping unbinding the 4wd drivetrain. Our awd has a clutch pack in the center diff to change how much power is transfered to the front, but doesn not compensate for different ratios. Ratios are changed either by swapping front or rear diff ring/pinion gears or by tire size. The worst that can happen is busting your center diff

· Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
432 Posts
Thx Vanguish. Here is additional info from tirecomparison.com on the two tire sizes. Both show a different gear ratio would be needed. I do not know about ratios but it looks to me that the 315x55 is again the better fit. What do you think?

315x50x17

And the 315x55x17:
"Gear Ratio Calculator

Screenshots attached.
As long as the fronts and rears have the same ratio or within a really extremely close ratio you should not have any problems. I mean our tires to do not wear evening unless you methodically rotate your wheels to even out the wear. The central diff can handle the small tolerences created by uneven wear. I would seriously recommend having all 4 wheels with identical ratios between front and rear. Don’t worry about the size or width, just make sure they fit. Worry only about front and rear circumferences being identical which will lead to identical ratios. If all 4 are smaller or taller than stock, your only issue will be the incorrent speedo reading.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts