Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TH only has 4,200 miles on it and this morning I found it dead as can be in the garage - no interior lights, no dings, nothing. This was built and delivered right to me so it wasn't sitting on a lot for a while and nothing was left on in the vehicle. Has anyone experienced battery drains? I'm wondering if there's something pulling power when the vehicle is off or if it's a bad alternator or just a bad battery?

·
Super Moderator
2,296 Posts
You sure you didn’t leave something on or a door wasn’t shut entirely? Charge the battery and take it to autozone, they will test the battery/alternator free of charge.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sure you didn’t leave something on or a door wasn’t shut entirely? Charge the battery and take it to autozone, they will test the battery/alternator free of charge.
Dealer hooked it up over night and the battery is just fine. They found it to be the media console pulling power when the vehicle was off. I have a USB stick in one of the ports that has music on it and I was under the impression that those were turned off when the ignition was off.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dealer hooked it up over night and the battery is just fine. They found it to be the media console pulling power when the vehicle was off. I have a USB stick in one of the ports that has music on it and I was under the impression that those were turned off when the ignition was off.
That’s odd... I have USB drives in both the 2017 SRT & 2018 TH and leave them in all the time and have not experienced that issue. There are times when the SRT sits for a week. Maybe now, I might pull them. Next time I go to the dealer, I am going to ask about this.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s odd... I have USB drives in both the 2017 SRT & 2018 TH and leave them in all the time and have not experienced that issue. There are times when the SRT sits for a week. Maybe now, I might pull them. Next time I go to the dealer, I am going to ask about this.
They are still running tests to see if that's the source of the drain. Once they pulled my USB stick, it showed no drain. They thought those would shut off with ignition as well so it may be a bad unit?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you should be getting a new unit to me.
Yep - turned out to be a bad media hub that remained on all of the time so they replaced it. It now turns off after 2 hours which is what it's supposed to do.

·
Super Moderator
2,296 Posts
Glad you got it taken care of. Did you have them check the battery? You can lose a cell when you deep cycle a battery (completely drained). Might be something to check while it’s still a fresh issue.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you got it taken care of. Did you have them check the battery? You can lose a cell when you deep cycle a battery (completely drained). Might be something to check while it’s still a fresh issue.
Had them do a complete check as I was ready to pay for a new battery if it wasn't covered but they said it was fine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yep - turned out to be a bad media hub that remained on all of the time so they replaced it. It now turns off after 2 hours which is what it's supposed to do.
I was under the impression, from the owners manual, that the timeout for media could be controlled by the engine off power delay. I selected 0 seconds and now the radio and other features turn off immediately.
Or is this something completely different?

NOTE:
When the “Engine Off Power Delay” feature is selected, the power window switches, radio, Uconnect phone system (if equipped), DVD video system (if equipped), power sunroof (if equipped), and power outlets will remain active for up to ten minutes after the ignition is cycled to OFF. Opening either front door will cancel this feature.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was under the impression, from the owners manual, that the timeout for media could be controlled by the engine off power delay. I selected 0 seconds and now the radio and other features turn off immediately.
Or is this something completely different?

NOTE:
When the “Engine Off Power Delay” feature is selected, the power window switches, radio, Uconnect phone system (if equipped), DVD video system (if equipped), power sunroof (if equipped), and power outlets will remain active for up to ten minutes after the ignition is cycled to OFF. Opening either front door will cancel this feature.
My dealer told me that the radio/media hub stays active for 2 hours but then goes to sleep and no longer has a power draw. I'm not sure if this is due to the way I have things set or if this is the case for all radio's and media hub's.

·
Super Moderator
2,296 Posts
I think you can set the media center so that it will play, etc for X amount of minutes before “turning off” but I’m pretty sure it still will do downloads/updates n such while off, maybe this is the function that was the issue. I don’t believe it is a user controlled parameter though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Update installs certainly happen while the vehicle is off. Last week I had a popup one morning that an update had been downloaded and showed a picker to select an install time when the vehicle would be off for 40 min before the start of the install and would stay off for 2 hours for the install itself. Set the time for mid day as the vehicle would be parked at work all day and when I left that night it immediately popped up a message saying the update had been installed.

·
Super Moderator
2,296 Posts
So, just curious. Did it kill the battery overnight or do you not drive the vehicle daily? I’ve been running a dash cam nonstop and have t had any issues and in occasion, don’t drive it for a few days at a time. Wonder what kind of current draw the infotainment was pulling while off.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, just curious. Did it kill the battery overnight or do you not drive the vehicle daily? I’ve been running a dash cam nonstop and have t had any issues and in occasion, don’t drive it for a few days at a time. Wonder what kind of current draw the infotainment was pulling while off.
That was the odd part - this is now my daily driver and this happened overnight.

·
Super Moderator
2,296 Posts
Yeah, that is so strange. It must be more than it just not turning off. That’s a lot off battery to go through in one night

1 - 16 of 16 Posts