Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2018 Trackhawk with 70K miles now. Had a flat and put new tires on back but went to 315/35r20 front is still 295 but after i put them on i drove around and there was a horrible metal clunking sound when first driving and when stopping. If i put it into park it makes a loud thud too not the normal one which means its probably something in the driveshaft im assuming. Dont think it has anything to do with tires let me know if yall had this problem or know

·
Registered
293 Posts
What about size difference on an all wheel drive?

315 set 28.7"
295 set 30.5"

·
Registered
286 Posts
^^^ There lies the problem, you’re getting two different drive shaft speed inputs into the transfer case causing some uneven friction possibly causing those “horrible metal clunking sounds”

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
348 Posts
AWD vehicles must have the same diameter tires on all 4 corners. If the tires are all half worn and you have a unrepairable tire, you need to get 4 new ones and not just one. Even this slight difference will cause all kinds of wear on TC and diffs.
Exactly what Lil Hemi said. But there are AWD systems with a staggered setup. You just have to keep in mind that what you do on one axle should be done to the other. The center differential will be taking a huge beating compensating for driveline differences. What you are basically doing is binding the driveline like an elastic band. The center diffs gives and that is where the noise is coming from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts