Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving and all of a sudden Throttle body alarm goes off and Engine light. I look to see my temps pinned at the top. I pull over to see this under the hood. The belt broke and tore the other serpentine belt odd as well. Ohhh also wrapped around the coolant line and tore that out... Happy Fathers Day .

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Was driving and all of a sudden Throttle body alarm goes off and Engine light. I look to see my temps pinned at the top. I pull over to see this under the hood. The belt broke and tore the other serpentine belt odd as well. Ohhh also wrapped around the coolant line and tore that out... Happy Fathers Day .
Happened to me as well with only 13K miles. No recall yet but my dealer said the part # changes on the supercharger indicating a known issue/bad belt with the first ones off the line. I went with a Gates heavier duty belt this time around.

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
I found mine was off a rib at the SC from the factory but I’ve heard of a few people having theirs snap. No idea if they’d verified the belt was on correctly before their belt failures though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Happened to me with about 250 miles on mine.
Going on the first long distance road trip next weekend and while towing my trailer so I'm ditching the factory SC belt. I just ordered a Gates HD belt today. It will be nice to have piece of mind on my trip. I know it isn't rational due to the low numbers of failures. Just call me paranoid but better safe than sorry. I already have my first issue. I checked the trailer today and the brand new tire, that I replaced last year, is flat. I wasn't going to chance this luck. :/

Reactions: adamkc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Part numbers for the accessory belt is Gates K060832HD

Blower drive is K100579HD

Installed both yesterday, just in case. The Hellcat acc belt with PS is a touch longer, I think it works but this number fits nice an snug with tensioner

·
Registered
412 Posts
Going on the first long distance road trip next weekend and while towing my trailer so I'm ditching the factory SC belt. I just ordered a Gates HD belt today. It will be nice to have piece of mind on my trip. I know it isn't rational due to the low numbers of failures. Just call me paranoid but better safe than sorry. I already have my first issue. I checked the trailer today and the brand new tire, that I replaced last year, is flat. I wasn't going to chance this luck. :/
Its easy/cheap insurance. After I had mine towed to the dealer and they put brand new belts on it, I got it home and installed some Gates HD green belts. No issues in 10 months since, but I have some new factory belts, just in case.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Part numbers for the accessory belt is Gates K060832HD

Blower drive is K100579HD

Installed both yesterday, just in case. The Hellcat acc belt with PS is a touch longer, I think it works but this number fits nice an snug with tensioner

Here is a post of mine from back in March:

I got real curious about the various part numbers supplied and decided to call Gates today. Here is what I found out regarding the different part numbers.

The link supplied by @PBGas was very helpful.

Gates K100579HD is correct for the TH, but I found out after talking to Bill (at gates.com) that part number K100579RPM is a better replacement option as it was designed for the supercharger stress and is more stretch resistant. ( Again you can decide for your self, as Bill did state this is a replacement option for the HC motor.)

As far as Gates K060846HD, this will fit the TH, but again after talking to Bill, part K060834 will work and is more to OEM specs.

I asked about where to buy and it was recommended to buy from an authorized parts supplier, NAPA, O'Reilly, etc VS. an Amazon. His reasoning was backing up of warranty.

I know that I have priced part numbers on Amazon and O'Reilly, but the little voice in the back of my head keeps saying is the couple bucks worth it vs. being able to go just down the street to the local parts supplier.

I am going to go with the advice from Bill ( the gates tech guy). This is my 2 cents on the subject and again you can decide for yourself.

https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/602-jeep-trackhawk-issues-problems/5952-supercharger-belt-snapped.html

·
Registered
379 Posts
Questions out to the forum:

1: For those of the forum that changed out the belts yourself, how long did it take you?

2: For those of the forum that had a dealership replace the belts, what was the labor costs provided?

3: For those of the forum that had a local garage replace the belts, how did the labor costs compare to the dealership?

Thank you as always for your input.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Questions out to the forum:

1: For those of the forum that changed out the belts yourself, how long did it take you?

2: For those of the forum that had a dealership replace the belts, what was the labor costs provided?

3: For those of the forum that had a local garage replace the belts, how did the labor costs compare to the dealership?

Thank you as always for your input.
Takes no more than 20 mins tops (including getting the tools out and putting them away) to do it myself on a cold engine (read: don't have to worry about getting any burns or even using Mechanix gloves). Dealer replaced my belts initially under warranty, so I cannot tell you the cost involved.

This is an easy DIY job, IMHO.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Takes no more than 20 mins tops (including getting the tools out and putting them away) to do it myself on a cold engine (read: don't have to worry about getting any burns or even using Mechanix gloves). Dealer replaced my belts initially under warranty, so I cannot tell you the cost involved.

This is an easy DIY job, IMHO.
Thanks @ WA 2 FST

I just got a quote from the local dealership for $270.00,:surprise: to change out the belts that I am supplying. I about fell over on that quote. Looks like I will be under the hood.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks @ WA 2 FST

I just got a quote from the local dealership for $270.00,:surprise: to change out the belts that I am supplying. I about fell over on that quote. Looks like I will be under the hood.
That's absurd.

Here is the link to my thread on what you need as far as tools to do the job easily and correctly: https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum...oblems/4900-trackhawk-left-me-stranded-2.html

page 2 at the bottom you can see a pic of the installed belts and the tools, as well as a description. I cannot believe they want $270. I'm guessing that is retail+ for the belts and then an hour of labor time... when in reality its a 15+ min job, start to finish.

Reactions: PBGas
1 - 15 of 15 Posts