Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:
Which is the best intake for drag racing ? Why?
Thanks for your replies.
Regards.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I haven’t taken my TrackHawk out to the dragstrip so I can’t tell you which one is better there but I have compared, data logged and dynoed the stock intake the AFE and the DDR and found that the DDR (24hp) is up on average 1-1/2hp to 2hp over the AFE and over all it has lower temps than the AFE in just about all conditions, 0-60 runs, 1/4 mile runs through the performance pages and high speed runs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven’t taken my TrackHawk out to the dragstrip so I can’t tell you which one is better there but I have compared, data logged and dynoed the stock intake the AFE and the DDR and found that the DDR (24hp) is up on average 1-1/2hp to 2hp over the AFE and over all it has lower temps than the AFE in just about all conditions, 0-60 runs, 1/4 mile runs through the performance pages and high speed runs.
The DDR is awesome looking. Was considering one. To bad their website was down for so long. Bought a JLT. Loving it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. What do you think about K&N?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The DDR is awesome looking. Was considering one. To bad their website was down for so long. Bought a JLT. Loving it.
Thanks for your reply. Do you think DDR is better than JLT? What do you think about K&N? They post 51 hp.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Do you think DDR is better than JLT? What do you think about K&N? They post 51 hp.
I use AFE and love it. Looks great and sounds great - just the right amount of supercharger whine for me. I personally don't believe an intake can add 30, 40 or 51 hp to any vehicle, I think that's simply marketing hype. 5-10 maybe?

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
What adamKc said about adding power, you might get a few but it’s mostly for looks/hearing the blower. I’m running a Legmaker which is great, I wish it had some sort of divider to separate the filter from the engine bay. AFE is pricey but pretty and probably quieter than mine. Don’t buy K&N, not for this expensive of a vehicle, get you some carbon fiber that you’ll rarely see 😂

·
Registered
83 Posts
I love the look of the AFE intake!
However, I am not at all going to spend the almost $1000 Can for me to get one up here. For what? Maybe 10 HP that I won't even notice? I removed the Heimholtz resonator, capped the hole and added an AFE dry flow filter instead. I get more blower whine and it still works nicely with a good filter.

If I was modifying mine with a tune, then for sure the intake would help that but for stock, I'm not even going to bother at this point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the look of the AFE intake!
However, I am not at all going to spend the almost $1000 Can for me to get one up here. For what? Maybe 10 HP that I won't even notice? I removed the Heimholtz resonator, capped the hole and added an AFE dry flow filter instead. I get more blower whine and it still works nicely with a good filter.

If I was modifying mine with a tune, then for sure the intake would help that but for stock, I'm not even going to bother at this point.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What adamKc said about adding power, you might get a few but it’s mostly for looks/hearing the blower. I’m running a Legmaker which is great, I wish it had some sort of divider to separate the filter from the engine bay. AFE is pricey but pretty and probably quieter than mine. Don’t buy K&N, not for this expensive of a vehicle, get you some carbon fiber that you’ll rarely see 😂
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use AFE and love it. Looks great and sounds great - just the right amount of supercharger whine for me. I personally don't believe an intake can add 30, 40 or 51 hp to any vehicle, I think that's simply marketing hype. 5-10 maybe?
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi. You think DDR is my best option?
Regards.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I do, in my case I could do without the louder supercharger whine but the lower temps I like so I’m getting use to the whine, don’t know if I ever will, the AFE (19hp) to me is the best compromise, a little louder supercharger whine over stock and the temps are comparable to the stock intake box once you fill the air gap at the bottom of the box where it mates to the stock base plate and insulate their carbon fiber intake tube, it is very very thin, 1/16” at best The DDR’s intake tube is much much thicker and heavier. The heat barrier of the DDR does a good job, seals to the hood like the AFE does and also sits and seals well on the stock base plate keeping as best it can engine bay heat out of the intake filter area. I have no comparison notes on the Legmaker or JLT, i have seen the JLT’S heat barrier and it doesn’t seal as good as the DDR’s, lots of air gaps especially on the bottom. I do hear that the Legmaker has the loudest supercharger whine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do, in my case I could do without the louder supercharger whine but the lower temps I like so I’m getting use to the whine, don’t know if I ever will, the AFE (19hp) to me is the best compromise, a little louder supercharger whine over stock and the temps are comparable to the stock intake box once you fill the air gap at the bottom of the box where it mates to the stock base plate and insulate their carbon fiber intake tube, it is very very thin, 1/16” at best The DDR’s intake tube is much much thicker and heavier. The heat barrier of the DDR does a good job, seals to the hood like the AFE does and also sits and seals well on the stock base plate keeping as best it can engine bay heat out of the intake filter area. I have no comparison notes on the Legmaker or JLT, i have seen the JLT’S heat barrier and it doesn’t seal as good as the DDR’s, lots of air gaps especially on the bottom. I do hear that the Legmaker has the loudest supercharger whine.
Thank you so much.
I will try DDR.
Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think the aftermarket CAI's are overrated. A cheap solution with the stock CAI is use of a green filter which basically lets more air in as it is thinner. Most after market tests are with only one vehicle which is meaningless. I do lots of drag racing and went with the green filter but subsequently replaced it with the JLT for looks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts