Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Don't bother with the K&N. They designed it so that the filter sits under one of those vent holes on the hood. When it rains, guess where the water would go? Into the filter. So their solution is to provide you with a blockoff port that goes under the vent to install when it rains. To me, that is just a PITA and poorly engineered.

Look at the AFE units, they seem to be very well designed. The JLT or Livernois units also work nicely.

I haven't bothered with one on mine. I removed the Heimholtz resonator and put in a Fenco plug. I then added an AFE dry flow replacement filter and it works great. A lot more noticeable whine from the SC as well.
I don't believe this to be true - from the picture it looks like it's in the same place as all other CAI filters.

Attachments

Registered
Are you sure about the information you are supplying as far as where water goes? Have you tried this out or are you making an unproven statement?
Well now! Why all the aggression here? Have I made other unproven statements on this board that would cause you to reply like this? I have been nothing but cordial around here.

Seriously, my goal here is to provide as much misinformation as I possibly can. LOL. 馃檭

YES....I purchased one and returned it. My local shop had part # 62-1579 in stock back in March (which surprised me!) and I bought it. I made sure they would take it back if I didn't like how it fit. The unit is nicely built. I've owned several K/N intakes over the years and had one on my 2006 Jeep SRT for years and it worked perfectly. I was hoping this would work for me.

The filter on this unit sits about 1/4 directly under the vent. When it rains, where does the water go? Right on to the filter.

Hence why I returned it. That vent is there for a reason to extract engine heat. I don't need to be opening and closing my hood every time I wash the vehicle or when it rains.

This was from the instructions. They have a small water drain hold in the plug so the water doesn't pool up on the vent. That drips just to the left of the gasket. It's strange because the gasket was sitting against the vent as well so it wasn't even sealing right up correctly.

Registered
I don't believe this to be true - from the picture it looks like it's in the same place as all other CAI filters.
You are looking at a picture from an angle and trying to compare? How does that work? I actually installed and tried it.

It's about 2.5 inches farther to the left at the very top of the gasket than the AFE setup. I installed one back in March and tried it. No go for me. While the filter may sit in the same general location, the opening is about an inch or more under the open vent.

Super Moderator
Well now! Why all the aggression here? Have I made other unproven statements on this board that would cause you to reply like this? I have been nothing but cordial around here.

Seriously, my goal here is to provide as much misinformation as I possibly can. LOL. 馃檭

YES....I purchased one and returned it. My local shop had part # 62-1579 in stock back in March (which surprised me!) and I bought it. I made sure they would take it back if I didn't like how it fit. The unit is nicely built. I've owned several K/N intakes over the years and had one on my 2006 Jeep SRT for years and it worked perfectly. I was hoping this would work for me.

The filter on this unit sits about 1/4 directly under the vent. When it rains, where does the water go? Right on to the filter.

Hence why I returned it. That vent is there for a reason to extract engine heat. I don't need to be opening and closing my hood every time I wash the vehicle or when it rains.

This was from the instructions. They have a small water drain hold in the plug so the water doesn't pool up on the vent. That drips just to the left of the gasket. It's strange because the gasket was sitting against the vent as well so it wasn't even sealing right up correctly.

View attachment 9307
No aggression here, just asking if you鈥檝e tried it because this hasn鈥檛 been my experience and I鈥檝e been running an open filter element for the past 3 years so I was just curious where you are getting your information. Personally, I have washed the Jeep plenty of times and never found the filter element with water on it afterwards.
I think if you actually try pouring water down that vent, you will have similar results as I have had.

Registered
No aggression here, just asking if you鈥檝e tried it because this hasn鈥檛 been my experience and I鈥檝e been running an open filter element for the past 3 years so I was just curious where you are getting your information. Personally, I have washed the Jeep plenty of times and never found the filter element with water on it afterwards.
I think if you actually try pouring water down that vent, you will have similar results as I have had.
No worries! When you look through that vent hole, can you see your filter directly under it, say about 1/4 of the filter bottom? When I had the unit installed, I could see the bottom end of the filter as connects to the box. That is mostly what made me return it. I didn't wash the vehicle then as it was a bit cold up here but if I did, it would have directly dropped on the media and I just didn't want to bother with that. If the filter housing is a bit farther in and away from that vent then there would be no issues for sure.

Registered

Definitely won't void warranty, haha...

Registered
I have the K&N filter. I had the K&N on my 2015 SRT as well. It is as good as all the rest in terms of what it does for the vehicle. That said, they all have different ways of dealing with how water might get on the air filter. This is because the filter is placed right under/near the hood vent. JLT has a clear cap that causes water to run to one side or another. K&N has the hood plug. The benefit to the JLT is that you could get away with leaving the clear cap in place and still be able to pull or dispense air better from the hood (I believe). You would not want to leave the K&N rubber plug in for everyday driving. As mentioned, if you don't want to open the hood when ever you're cleaning the vehicle you might not want to go with K&N. Truth is, you would have to every single time if you are not praying water down the hood. If you Jeep sits outside in the rain I might suggest putting the plug in.

Just my opinion.

Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Don't bother with the K&N. They designed it so that the filter sits under one of those vent holes on the hood. When it rains, guess where the water would go? Into the filter. So their solution is to provide you with a blockoff port that goes under the vent to install when it rains. To me, that is just a PITA and poorly engineered.

Look at the AFE units, they seem to be very well designed. The JLT or Livernois units also work nicely.

I haven't bothered with one on mine. I removed the Heimholtz resonator and put in a Fenco plug. I then added an AFE dry flow replacement filter and it works great. A lot more noticeable whine from the SC as well.
Noted, thank you!!! This is why I ask. I have heard more of JLT and Liverpool honestly..which is what made me wonder.

Registered
Not a big fan of JLT or Legmaker. JLT doesn't have a ANY separator from headers heat, so sucking all that HOT air, thus negates that "cold air" intake. I think Legmaker provides the separator but people don't put them for some reason, WHY?

Best I found to be AFE intakes, they're enclosed and they suck air from the front and than from bottom like original intake. However, slight fitment issue, there are some gaps here and there but fixable with weatherstripping gasket, so it enclosed completely from the engine.

Banned
The Cortex Icetank is a MUST for these trucks. It adds (2) freaking gallons of coolant! The Legmaker is the only one guaranteed to fit so that would be my choice. Kind of a no brainer.

The other ones all work great but they dont work with the Icetank. At least most of em dont.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts