Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is a side by side comparison of the stock thermostat housing vs the Billet version I purchased. Look at how much better it flows and it looks better as well. I paid $109 from Granatelli direct.

Here is a video of the install - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Uzh5V3gxMXFxNjhndXA4RzQ2QmxqTFVMSElKZlRR

It has not gone over 185. This is my first mod. For those that dont know me, do the search. At 414 miles my TH took a dump and the motor failed. Then FCA tried to void my warranty claiming I modified the motor but I did not even have time to change the oil. In the end I was told to change dealers and the new dealer did great work. Now after 6 months and 1500 miles I am finally trying small things out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It would let me insert an image - but you will see in the video at 5:40 to 6:00 in the video the major change

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not so sure this is a good idea.

2 things

1) I assure you the thermostat is a far greater restriction to flow then the stock housing even with the pass through for the bolt.

2) the stock housing has a radius where this billet housing has a 90 with no radius. Any one who has taken Fluid dynamics knows that fluid does not like to make 90* bends at sharp angels.

If it is only for the bling factor then yes its a great piece. But for flow it makes no sense as the thermostat has a far greater restrictiveness then either of these.

·
Registered
43 Posts
With out proof of independent testing on the claims of lower head pressure on the thermostat and 40% better flow exc. I would be hard pressed to believe any of it. Where did they get these numbers did they make them up?

The head pressure on the thermostat is dictated by the pressure the pump creates and the thermostat NOT the housing lol. Its simple fluid dynamics

If someone wants to dress up their engine bay. Then by all means

·
Registered
21 Posts
agree, i was wondering if the OP could put up any real world results worth sharing to understand if this is just a cosmetic upgrade or not

·
Registered
412 Posts
agree, i was wondering if the OP could put up any real world results worth sharing to understand if this is just a cosmetic upgrade or not
He states the temps don't go above 185^F, so that, by itself, means the product is doing what it is intended to do... however, that is a function of the t-stat itself...and not the billet housing, IMHO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
He states the temps don't go above 185^F, so that, by itself, means the product is doing what it is intended to do... however, that is a function of the t-stat itself...and not the billet housing, IMHO.
Exactly if you watch the video they installed the 180 stat at the time they installed this bling

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you done any testing to quantify the difference?
Quantify how :nerd: The part looks better and it clearly flows way more, that does not take an engineer to see. My engine compartment looks better, it for sure has better flow and it works with all the stock stuff. The video shows is was a 12 minute install. Its just a win win win with no drawback. When you add in a 180 ThermoStat now it makes it easier for the fluid to cool because it does not bunch up in that pocket - Another good thing

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not so sure this is a good idea.

2 things

1) I assure you the thermostat is a far greater restriction to flow then the stock housing even with the pass through for the bolt.

2) the stock housing has a radius where this billet housing has a 90 with no radius. Any one who has taken Fluid dynamics knows that fluid does not like to make 90* bends at sharp angels.

If it is only for the bling factor then yes its a great piece. But for flow it makes no sense as the thermostat has a far greater restrictiveness then either of these.
Geno - I think your guys are over thinking this. You are talking about fluid dynamics but confusing flow vs pressure. a smooth is better then a tight 90 if the volume is the same, meaning the amount of coolant that fills the housing. Its clear the GMS housing has a great volume and therefore the flow will increase based on pure increased size. While I did not screw in a gauge, the housing also allows for that. I am sure when Granatelli came up with this design, it was not so they had a sport to add a gauge. We all know the freeze plug is there because that is the only way to access the inside bolt. I for 1 things its cool how they came up with the idea. When I called other campaniles about billet housing that all said it cant be made for this exact reason and then wammo GMS figured it out. - lets not over think this

I called a cols air intake company (who advertises here) and they said they intake would worth 20 plus horsepower. When it should up it was a tube and a filter. So now the engine is louder but it sucks hot air for the pocket. The stock airbox moves more air than the dinky tube and filter they sent. If the stock box will flow 800hp worth of air than why do you need any CAI. There is the real scam. I dyno'd my only Hellcat Charger with NO intake at all, hood open and a huge fam blowing cold air on the motor - HO gain was 2hp. Big whoop. Dodge has the airbox part figured out. You dont need a bigger one but I still installed a bigger one because it looked cool and makes the truck sound pissed off.

The thermostat really moves more fluid - fact. AND this is a big AND the thermostat itself may be a bigger restriction that the housing but that would be by design to control the fluid flow. No one here is going to believe the TH has the huge glob of aluminum in the house on purpose

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The head pressure on the thermostat is dictated by the pressure the pump creates and the thermostat NOT the housing lol. Its simple fluid dynamics

If someone wants to dress up their engine bay. Then by all means
This part is true. Head pressure comes for the smallest part of the flow path - we agree:smile2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
So we agree that the single biggest flow restriction in the cooling system is the the thermostat.

If you think that installing this housing is going to increase flow you are mistaken. Simply because the FLOW is dictated by the biggest restriction ( the Thermostat that we already agreed on) If they are so sure of it then prove it and show independent testing. Until then marketing it for anything other then the bling factor is lying to the consumer period.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quantify how :nerd: The part looks better and it clearly flows way more, that does not take an engineer to see. My engine compartment looks better, it for sure has better flow and it works with all the stock stuff. The video shows is was a 12 minute install. Its just a win win win with no drawback. When you add in a 180 ThermoStat now it makes it easier for the fluid to cool because it does not bunch up in that pocket - Another good thing
You are putting out a product and saying trust me, its better. That type of marketing has it limits. If youre saying its better, provide some data that shows its better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine now runs at 86 degrees C (180 degrees F) with the new housing and thermostat and the flow has to be twice as much with this new housing when you see inside the stock one you just ask yourself WHY would they do that!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine has the 180* thermostat also and it has the STOCK housing. Guess what it has never gone over 180* and I have the livernois S1025 package making 250 more hp then stock. So it the stock housing is so bad then explain how it flows enough to keep a hawk with 1025 crank hp cool.

Guys the thermostat is the only benefit!!! the housing is ONLY bling, it is doing nothing for flow. The neck on the stock housing will flow more then enough even with the pass through bolt to keep this motor cool. If you are doing it for the bling factor then fine but do not fool yourself into thinking the housing itself is providing any benefit

·
Registered
106 Posts
Granateli makes some quality stuff and have been around forever! I remember using their stuff on my mustang in the late 80s and it was always excellent. I like the look of this piece. Fluid dynamics aside....there is a water pump that pushes fluid through the system. The fluid will go through, regardless of that bend because there is a place for it to go through. Again, though...as pointed out, the Thermostat is where you get the restriction. There is no way a housing alone will keep your engine cooler.

That piece through the middle of the stock housing to shield the bolt and seal is poor engineering. Let's put a solid piece in the place of an area where fluid is meant to flow through.

Remember those that have had a Wk1 JCSRT8 and how wonderful that stock thermostat housing was? It wasn't a restriction issue but it would leak more often than not. I changed mine out on that vehicle and had no more issues ever when I had it. This is always an area where FCA really cheap out. If the stock unit starts to be prone to leaks like my old Jeep was, then this could be a nice alternative.

This is one part that I may look at getting. Again though, people want hard data and flow rates, etc.....so I will wait for a while until I get something like this. I'm in no hurry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts