Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Definitely louder - and the looks are nice too !
Thank you for the pictures. The black tips look great!
Did you get the S-Type or the ATAK?
Did you do the grinding to the tow package frame support to make them fit or have a shop do it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I do not have a photo of the tip internals with me but they are a very nice "reverse merge" design for excellent exhaust flow. They have a much better and smoother airflow path compared to the stock tips. The inside matches the outside looks, not a poor airflow hack job inside like some aftermarket tips have. View attachment 8486

Also as much as I like the Borla carbon fiber tips I did not buy them as as the exhaust pipe diameter inside the tips does not increase like it does with their black tips. So there is no way those will have the same sound impact as the megaphone black tips will IMO.
Is that the S-Type or the ATAK? Was your exhaust installed and then removed? It looks burnt in is why I ask.
There seems to be more ATAK system videos on YouTube on the TH than of the S-Type. What you stated about the black tips being louder because they open up wider like a megaphone makes sense. Very similar concept to any brass instrument like a trumpet. It would be cool to have a comparison video of just the tips.

On Borla’s comparison video below, something sounds off to me. It sounds like there is additional turbulence (when compared to other videos) like something is not connected or clamped properly.

I really enjoy this ATAK video by EastCoastJeepSRT. I know in this video he is using the stock tips. It would be interesting if he did this sound test again with the Borla black tips installed…

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is that the S-Type or the ATAK? Was your exhaust installed and then removed? It looks burnt in is why I ask.

On Borla’s comparison video below, something sounds off to me. It sounds like there is additional turbulence.

I really enjoy this ATAK video by EastCoastJeepSRT. I know in this video he is using the stock tips.
To answer your questions the photo is of an S-Type exhaust system but it looks exactly the same as the ATAK system. Only difference is inside the mid mufflers and the raised letters on said mufflers (either S-Type or ATAK).

The system in my post above was removed and is for sale on Facebook thus the used or "burned" look and it is not mine. They will all look like that after awhile with some heat cycling and driving in the rain.

That photo was just to show the smaller tip extention pipes used with the stock tips. I have and keep my S-Type system polished up as my Trackhawk is a sunny weather vehicle only.

20201004_153329.jpg

Here is mine before it was installed.

I do not necessarily think the black tips will be "louder" but expect them to sound deeper/throaty with more clarity and refinement.

As you mentioned, I also hear some turbulence coming from the stock tips under both hard acceleration and even during cold startups when the idle speed is raised a little. I Believe this is from the poor exhaust split transition of the stock tips and also can't understand why anyone would want that vertical bar they have in the exhaust tips of the GT Haus system. 🙈 I guess its so loud and raspy nobody hears the turbulence to care.

The stock tip turbulence and the much improved exhaust flow transion of the optional Borla tips is what motivated me to purchase a set of the black tips.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you for the pictures. The black tips look great!
Did you get the S-Type or the ATAK?
Did you do the grinding to the tow package frame support to make them fit or have a shop do it?
S-Type (extremely satisfying !) and I had my shop do the grinding (had bwoody, springs, and tips done at once). The borla tips have definitely added volume in and out.

·
Super Moderator
1,146 Posts
To answer your questions the photo is of an S-Type exhaust system but it looks exactly the same as the ATAK system. Only difference is inside the mid mufflers and the raised letters on said mufflers (either S-Type or ATAK).

The system in my post above was removed and is for sale on Facebook thus the used or "burned" look and it is not mine. They will all look like that after awhile with some heat cycling and driving in the rain.

That photo was just to show the smaller tip extention pipes used with the stock tips. I have and keep my S-Type system polished up as my Trackhawk is a sunny weather vehicle only.
View attachment 8487

View attachment 8488

Here is mine before it was installed.

View attachment 8489

I do not necessarily think the black tips will be "louder" but expect them to sound deeper/throaty with more clarity and refinement.

As you mentioned, I also hear some turbulence coming from the stock tips under both hard acceleration and even during cold startups when the idle speed is raised a little. I Believe this is from the poor exhaust split transition of the stock tips and also can't understand why anyone would want that vertical bar they have in the exhaust tips of the GT Haus system. 🙈 I guess its so loud and raspy nobody hears the turbulence to care.

The stock tip turbulence and the much improved exhaust flow transion of the optional Borla tips is what motivated me to purchase a set of the black tips.
Damn you detail the bottom? that is the cleanest ive ever seen. thats ready for a show.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thank you guys for the info and additional pictures. It appears more folks are running the Borla S-Type (& are very happy with it) on this forum than the ATAK. I also was looking at the Corsa Extreme system, but there are 2 drawbacks for me. 1. It is 2.75” (same as OEM diameter) 2. Corsa states it will not fit with the tow package. Given how large the Corsa mufflers are I am not sure they will fit even with some grinding. I do like the Corsa black chrome tips though.
I also like that Borla has made the S-Type and ATAK resonators interchangeable. It just goes to show they invested some R&D time for the TH’s with or without tow packages before they went to market.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Overkill, I will go off track here to respond to some of your thoughts above and then will get back to the original topic of Borla black tips in another post .......

I am and have been a huge Corsa fan for over 20 yrs that I have been running their systems on GM vehicles (and still do).

Truthfully I used to loath/advoid Borla exhaust systems due to the sound they produced on various cars over many years and always thought of them as a 2nd tier lower level company. However it appears Borla has really stepped up their game in regards to R&D, quality and sound over the last several years that I fully recommend them.

Basically I knew Corsa would very likely be my exhaust system of choice even before I bought a Trackhawk. However the more I read positive reviews and listened to Borla sound clip the more I was impressed with what they offer.

I very much like the concept of the S-Type and ATAK front resonators being easily interchangeable in case the S-Type was not "loud enough". However that is not the case, I love the S-Type as it has a deep/refined sound at part throttle and when cruising (zero drone), yet it's still damn loud when you stomp on the accelerator pedal which is what we want.

Would I be happy with a Corsa system on my Hawk, absolutely but the 3" diameter piping and interchangeable resonator design of the Borla systems is hard to ignore.

One important thing to consider that you don't hear people talk about is the ease of adjustability the Borla system offers from their location of exhaust pipe joints. This is important for gaining necessary clearance when running a larger diameter one piece driveshaft from my experience. The G-Force Performance Engineering driveshaft is larger than the stock one as you can see.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Damn you detail the bottom? that is the cleanest ive ever seen. thats ready for a show.
Yes sir, and I definitely have a detailing and metal polishing issue. 🙈

First off, here are some bragging photos of my Borla Black tip upgrade that should have been installed the day they arrived, but I just can't help myself and must customize them a little.

I was lucky and picked up a set of used Borla Black tips cheap from another Trackhawk owner. The tips were in fine condition but not clean enough for me, so out came the metal polish which made a noticeable difference on the one on the left I worked on. 😎

They were quite filthy with a lot of asphalt bits stuck on the back tips. I had to soak them 3 times in WD-40 to soften the tar and asphalt spots, then scrub them carefully with a clay bar as the black finish is a little delicate IMO. I scrubbed the stainless tubing with some steel wool and shined them up with some metal polish.

It took about an hour each for cleaning and polishing to this point. 😧 But I am happy with the results, until I realized I still have the 2 exhaust clamps to polish yet. 🙈 😁

·
Registered
172 Posts
Overkill, I will go off track here to respond to some of your thoughts above and then will get back to the original topic of Borla black tips in another post .......

I am and have been a huge Corsa fan for over 20 yrs that I have been running their systems on GM vehicles (and still do).

Truthfully I used to loath/advoid Borla exhaust systems due to the sound they produced on various cars over many years and always thought of them as a 2nd tier lower level company. However it appears Borla has really stepped up their game in regards to R&D, quality and sound over the last several years that I fully recommend them.

Basically I knew Corsa would very likely be my exhaust system of choice even before I bought a Trackhawk. However the more I read positive reviews and listened to Borla sound clip the more I was impressed with what they offer.

I very much like the concept of the S-Type and ATAK front resonators being easily interchangeable in case the S-Type was not "loud enough". However that is not the case, I love the S-Type as it has a deep/refined sound at part throttle and when cruising (zero drone), yet it's still damn loud when you stomp on the accelerator pedal which is what we want.

Would I be happy with a Corsa system on my Hawk, absolutely but the 3" diameter piping and interchangeable resonator design of the Borla systems is hard to ignore.

One important thing to consider that you don't hear people talk about is the ease of adjustability the Borla system offers from their location of exhaust pipe joints. This is important for gaining necessary clearance when running a larger diameter one piece driveshaft from my experience. The G-Force Performance Engineering driveshaft is larger than the stock one as you can see.
View attachment 8497
View attachment 8498
Nice drive shaft! Did you have to remove your rear diff to get the old one out? I have been looking for one of these GForce drive shafts but they seem to be out of stock now. GForce Engineering is located here in my city so I may just stop in and ask when they might have more available. I also like your Renegade rear axles. Nice upgrades and it is a lot easier to do them all at once while everything is apart.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes sir, and I definitely have a detailing and metal polishing issue. 🙈

First off, here are some bragging photos of my Borla Black tip upgrade that should have been installed the day they arrived, but I just can't help myself and must customize them a little.

I was lucky and picked up a set of used Borla Black tips cheap from another Trackhawk owner. The tips were in fine condition but not clean enough for me, so out came the metal polish which made a noticeable difference on the one on the left I worked on. 😎

View attachment 8499
View attachment 8500
View attachment 8501

They were quite filthy with a lot of asphalt bits stuck on the back tips. I had to soak them 3 times in WD-40 to soften the tar and asphalt spots, then scrub them carefully with a clay bar as the black finish is a little delicate IMO. I scrubbed the stainless tubing with some steel wool and shined them up with some metal polish.

View attachment 8502
View attachment 8503
View attachment 8504

It took about an hour each for cleaning and polishing to this point. 😧 But I am happy with the results, until I realized I still have the 2 exhaust clamps to polish yet. 🙈 😁
Nice work polishing them up. I have been on the fence about which Borla tips to get. Carbon Fiber or Black Chrome. When you say the finish of the black chrome is delicate does that mean it rubs off easily? I saw some pictures online of the black chrome finish coming off. I know Borla will stand behind their products, but I would still rather not have to bother a warranty claim every so often. The black chrome looks similar to our stock tips (sleeper look) and when you see the CF ones you know right away it is a aftermarket system.
Black Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice drive shaft! Did you have to remove your rear diff to get the old one out? I have been looking for one of these GForce drive shafts but they seem to be out of stock now. GForce Engineering is located here in my city so I may just stop in and ask when they might have more available. I also like your Renegade rear axles. Nice upgrades and it is a lot easier to do them all at once while everything is apart.
Yes, the driveshaft is a work of art and a shame you can't even see it after it's installed under the heat shielding. Once covid hit it took over 4 months to get the driveshaft, but in the end its a high quality piece.

The rear differential did not need to be removed to install the driveshaft, only the exhaust system and heat shielding. It has 2 beautiful billet adapter plates that install on the t-case and rear diff before the actual driveshaft is installed. The plates convert to a more traditional yoke design and beefy replaceable U-Joints.

Maybe other brands require the rear differential to be removed to install their driveshaft, I do not know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice work polishing them up. I have been on the fence about which Borla tips to get. Carbon Fiber or Black Chrome. When you say the finish of the black chrome is delicate does that mean it rubs off easily? I saw some pictures online of the black chrome finish coming off. I know Borla will stand behind their products, but I would still rather not have to bother a warranty claim every so often. The black chrome looks similar to our stock tips (sleeper look) and when you see the CF ones you know right away it is a aftermarket system.
I have the clamps polished up now and looking 😎.

It's impressive to see Borla has their logo stamped on them also.

The Black tips look very nice now that I have brought them back from disgusting to show quality. I will say the finish is more durable than my original impression led me to believe. Just treat them like you would any paint on your Jeep and you should be fine. (Read don't use any steel wool or metal polish on them)

I like "carbon fiber wrapped tips" as much as the next guy. (but this may go against the grain here) Sorry to say I personally don't care for the design Borla used for theirs and find it kind of cheesy. 🙊 They are built nicely, but at first glance they just look like a little piece of exhaust pipe with brackets added on with screws to attach larger diameter carbon sleeves.

Kind of like when young Honda guys screw clamp on a larger exhaust tip from AutoZone to make their fart pipe exhaust look more impressive. Well not that bad but you get the general Idea. Personally I think they look much better once the 4 spacers are black and covered with soot as the spacers are not so noticable from behind. If they would have used the larger diameter black tips and slip a carbon fiber sleeve over them (ala AKRAPOVIČ style) they would look much more special IMO. But the carbon sleeve would likely suffer heat damage if directly slid over the metal pipe thus Borla is using large spacers instead.

As always, do what you want to your Jeep and don'tworry about what others think. 👍

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes the Borla black tips look much like the stock tips at first glance and are not as "car show" flashy as the carbon tips are. But once you look further and compare them the Borla tips are more massive and I like them even more that I thought I would.

I proped the Borla tip under my stock tip to take these photos and give you a direct comparison..... ☺

They look a little bit bigger from behind.

But look much more impressive from other side angles IMO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I agree they look much nicer. The stock with the notch out always bugged me when up close. This is a nice upgrade. I feel the same on the Carbon tips - not a fan of them from behind. I remain amazed how much more the exhaust woke up after adding them (noting it wasn’t exactly tame before !).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jeepaug, good to hear the tips have a positive affect on the exhaust sound. I am looking forward to getting these bolted up to my Jeep soon. (Had family commitments tonight so didn't get them installed yet)

It was asked for earlier so here is a photo of the exhaust splitter inside.

Borla did an excellent job merging the two exhaust tip pipes together creating a knife like splitter for a smooth air flow transition. Much to my surprise, they even flared the leading edge of the splitter pipe to the same 3" ID of the exhaust tip coupler for best air flow. 👍

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thank you Jeepaug & Double G. I am off the fence now thanks to you and I ordered the black tips along with the Borla S-Type system. I found a picture online where it looks like someone painted the inside of the CF tips so you can see what it looks like below.

Double G- I have to say you do nice work and take a lot of detailed pictures that helps out when someone is trying to visualize what something will look like. Thank you for the extra effort with comparison photos. That was exactly what I needed to make up my mind.

I am thinking about removing the tow package frame so I don’t have to trim it...? I will never tow anything with the TH (since I have a truck) and I would just put the frame in storage. It will save a little weight too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats, you will love the S-Type system on your Jeep and glad to help out with the photos. ☺ I also appreciate extra detailed pictures when researching modifications and typically take a lot of photos along the way.

I was going to save them all up for a Jeep build thread later but figure its best to post them here as it will help others out who are researching the same topic. I think this forum will be an archive used by others for many years. As the Trackhawk ages and used models eventually drop in price where other enthusiasts can afford them, (and warranties expire) a second wave of owners wanting to modify them will emerge.

To be honest I don't think anyone is painting the carbon tip spacers to hide them, but rather they eventually get covered in exhaust soot so they are less viable. I watched this tip soot transion reading through Lil Hemi's build thread and agree the carbon tips look best after the spacers are blackened over time. Just wish they were glossy carbon to match my Black Ops hood as any other carbon accessories I will be adding will also have a glossy finish.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thank you Jeepaug & Double G. I am off the fence now thanks to you and I ordered the black tips along with the Borla S-Type system. I found a picture online where it looks like someone painted the inside of the CF tips so you can see what it looks like below.

Double G- I have to say you do nice work and take a lot of detailed pictures that helps out when someone is trying to visualize what something will look like. Thank you for the extra effort with comparison photos. That was exactly what I needed to make up my mind.

I am thinking about removing the tow package frame so I don’t have to trim it...? I will never tow anything with the TH (since I have a truck) and I would just put the frame in storage. It will save a little weight too.

View attachment 8515
Grinding is not a big deal if you prefer to keep it. I like having it in the event I ever want to use it. Great thread and glad it’s helping fellow hawks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Grinding is not a big deal if you prefer to keep it. I like having it in the event I ever want to use it. Great thread and glad it’s helping fellow hawks.
Thank you, and I agree the more I have thought about this I may someday need it and wish I had it. After all, I might need to pull one of my other vehicles if they get stuck in the snow. I also did some more digging into it and it appears the tow hitch is actually part of the bumper support and it can’t be removed without replacing it with the non-tow frame version.

I will just grind it down and paint it to prevent rust.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts