Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just ordered Z23s for mine all around. I think that the fronts are out of stock so I will be waiting for those for a few weeks.
As an update...Summit Racing had the fronts now in stock and are just shipping them out to me so all good!

·
Registered
267 Posts
for you guys running z23 all around, please give us your feedback.

stopping power is the same, better or worse?

squeaks or noises?

for you guys who have good backroads like me and can burn out the stock brakes in 3 minutes of hard driving, do the z23s last longer or not as long?

·
Registered
65 Posts
-when cold....and i mean just for a minute or 2..slight squeak...feel no difference between stock.....but the difference in dust is night and day...a must have...

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I installed power stop z23 front and rear last week, followed the break in instructions to the tee, everything was fine. then I was racing and braking very hard, I smelt burning brake pads so I let them cool. the other day I was braking hard and had terrible brake fade, is there anyway to break them in again or are they glazed so bad I might have to change them.
any help would be great, but so far I would not recommend z23 pads for the Trackhawk at all !!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
That is the first I have heard. Have you tried contacting Powerstop? I would like to hear their input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have tried to contact them and was transferred to a trouble shoot extension, it went to voicemail and then said box is full. (uurrgghh) so I will try them again today.

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
that's the first I have heard about bad pads also but this is also the first I heard someone actually running them on a road track most of us drag race and would never feel brake fade. I just DD mine so they work great. I did keep the stock pads since they are brand new just in case i need them later.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I installed power stop z23 front and rear last week, followed the break in instructions to the tee, everything was fine. then I was racing and braking very hard, I smelt burning brake pads so I let them cool. the other day I was braking hard and had terrible brake fade, is there anyway to break them in again or are they glazed so bad I might have to change them.
any help would be great, but so far I would not recommend z23 pads for the Trackhawk at all !!!
Is the pedal still firm with normal travel? If not, you may have boiled your brake fluid.

If pedal is normal, I'd try heating them up again via a series of hard stops. See if that helps. If not, then lightly sand the pads/rotors and see if that corrects the situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes the pedal is still firm feels like it stops ok at low speeds but when I need to stop fast they just wont stop. pedal is normal travel pedal feels firm, just will not stop well feels like I got banana peels instead of brake pads. I have tried to contact powerstop with no luck. I am happy with the low brake dust but if it comes down to braking or dust I will choose braking. half tempted to put the stock ones back on. I will try heating them back up and try the brake in procedure again thanks. But at this time would not recommend z23's at this point at all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Mark,

I have had the Z23’s on all 4 corners for 4 months now and I have had no issues with brake fade or bite. I have also had Z23’s on my wife’s car with Brembo’s for years without issue, but she only drives it on the street…

I know that the Z23’s are a performance street pad, and are not intended for track days. Powerstop does make “Track Day” pads, but they currently don’t make them for our TH’s.
During the break-in procedure it is normal to smell burning pads as the adhesives are heating up, but it is also followed by a nice 5 minute cool down (driving for 5 min on a highway w/o braking). As you stated, you may have heated your pads up to a point where they glazed over.

I am not affiliated with Powerstop in anyway, so please don’t take any of my questions the wrong way as I am going to play devil’s advocate here.

I noticed you said that you installed them a week prior to your racing event. Is it possible the pads were not fully seated against the rotors? As you know, the pads have a slight chamfer on them when they are new and it takes a little while for them to wear in flat against the rotors.

Did you apply any of the brake grease that came with the pads to the calipers or pad backing plates? If so, is it possible the grease liquified under extreme heat and made its way onto the pad/rotor surfaces?

As Shooter stated, you may want to take the pads out for a visual inspection as they may be glazed and if they are, try and scuff them up with some 80 grit sand paper.

With so many of us running the Z23’s on the street now without any issues, I believe there is something unique with your situation.

I do believe that Demon Performance is making “Racing” pads for the TH fronts with less dust than stock. Might want to contact Skip:
https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/610-demon-performance/4001-demon-performance-brake-system-trackhawk.html

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m a newbie in this forum, I have question. The brake dust on this vehicle is insane as many of you know. It takes longer to clean wheels then the whole Jeep. With the power stop brakes do they work just as good as the stock brembo’s ? I don’t track my Jeep but I have been known to drive a little fast. Lol but I trust the stock pads and they work really well. So my question is are they just as good I don’t want to sacrifice stopping power for easier cleaning.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We've been doing some un-scientific data comparison over on the FB group between stock pads and Powerstop Z23. 60-0 tests so far have been nearly identical between stock and PS Z23 averaging in the low 120' for both on asphalt. Best so far reported (by me) was 118' with the Z23 pads, Pirelli all-seasons on asphalt. Negligible difference at least in limited 60-0 tests.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You will noticed a brownish tint on the rotors with the Z pads, my SRT did the same. Wothr the swap though great stopping and minimal dust

·
Registered
67 Posts
You will noticed a brownish tint on the rotors with the Z pads, my SRT did the same. Worth the swap though great stopping and minimal dust
Agree - well worth it IMHO. I'd say the dust is literally <5% of what the OEM pads leave.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hate to bump this thread again but anyone know of any shops doing Black Friday deals on brake pads?

I found them on autoanything.com for $138 shipped, Front & Rears.

Seems like a pretty good price to me, unless someone has another suggestion.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts