Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My z36 had the same problem the front pads are to long and will not fit in the calipers.
Have to wait till Monday and call Summit for a return and replacement.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My z36 had the same problem the front pads are to long and will not fit in the calipers.
Have to wait till Monday and call Summit for a return and replacement.
Ever get the correct pads?

I had a 2nd set show up today, from a different vendor & the same fucking issue. Backing plate wraps around the edge of the pad so it won't slide in the caliper. This is pissing me off now...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Alright, spoke to Powerstop customer service. No one order the Z23 pads anymore. Looks like they made a pad design change at some point last year with the backing plate wrapping around the edge of the pads so it won't slide into our calipers. Rep I talked to said he had other Trackhawk owners call & complain as well. I gave him sh*t for the Z23 still coming up at compatible with our Jeeps even though it is clearly not. He suggested the Z26 pads as the backing plate is the same as stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ever get the correct pads?

I had a 2nd set show up today, from a different vendor & the same fucking issue. Backing plate wraps around the edge of the pad so it won't slide in the caliper. This is pissing me off now...
I returned the first set that had the wrap around stainless backing.
Went to Amazon ordered there’s when they came there must have been a factory update to these pads because the stainless backing was totally different. Gone was the big wrap around just some little tabs and they fit like there supposed to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Finally went to installed my Z23 pads front & rear today. Well the front pads didn't fit. Box & inside packaging both have the same part #, Z23-6006. But the pads are a bit different. Powerstop front pads backing plate goes over the top & bottom of the pad & does not allow it to slide into the caliper. I did not attempt to install the rears once I ran into this issue. However, the backing plate on the rear Powerstop pads look correct. Maybe the front pads I received were packaged incorrectly? Can anyone confirm the backing plate on their Z23 front pads? See below photos.
View attachment 8561 View attachment 8560
Just had a rear set of Z36 installed and they went in no problem. I am not sure about the fronts, but the rears still had the shims folded over the edge. The tab on mine looked different though, is was not one long, full length, but 2 small tabs about 4-5mm long. They were also folder over 90, like the machine folded the tab about 1-2mm past the edge of pad. I will see about the fronts as mine are getting close to being done and I am going to go with the Z36 for the front as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why would you only change only one axle?
Fronts have like 3mm+ until the feelers. I want to get all I can out of the OEM!!! Planning to do the same Z36 with the Racing Brake 2 piece rotors, but not until the fronts are at least down to the feelers.

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
For me, if I’m going to change brake pad materials, I would change both axles at the same time. I personally think that running different friction coefficients would unbalance the braking system (by how much I can’t say). But this is just my thoughts and not any kind of judgment. Those Brembo pads caused so much dust, I didn’t care how much pad was left lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For me, if I’m going to change brake pad materials, I would change both axles at the same time. I personally think that running different friction coefficients would unbalance the braking system (by how much I can’t say). But this is just my thoughts and not any kind of judgment. Those Brembo pads caused so much dust, I didn’t care how much pad was left lol.
I can see that! The way I thought about was that in the case of the rear generating more brake torque to to increased friction in the back at the same pedal pressure, great it's stopping me faster and in case it locks the ABS will take over. I am planning to do some 60-0 runs just to see how it feels and make sure it doesn't get any more tail happy during hard braking.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts