Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
I didn’t leave the stock ones on long enough to tell you but it wouldn’t even matter to me. Couldn’t take that dust another second. Not seeing any major wear on these though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I didn’t leave the stock ones on long enough to tell you but it wouldn’t even matter to me. Couldn’t take that dust another second. Not seeing any major wear on these though.
Yeah, that dust was horrendous. Not even 2 mile down the road after a cleaning and the wheels were covered. There is still a little dust from these, but nothing like before.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yesterday I had my local tire shop replace the stock pads with the Z23's front and rear. Discovered that the left rear bearing was bad & had a lot of play. They turned the rear rotors (left needed a little more turning due to the bad bearing), but said the fronts were too large for their lathe. So dropped off the car at the dealer this morning for the bearing and requested they turn the fronts. Service guy said that since they're slotted, it's illegal to turn them and I would have to buy new rotors. He did say they looked fine and not to worry about it. I asked the tire shop about this and they said they were not aware of any legal issue and turned them within "state" specs.

I had just clocked 150 a couple days prior and realized it could have gotten real ugly had the bearing totally failed. Didn't notice any driving issues or anything in the pedal. I'm concerned that the rear rotors may not be within safe specs. Is the dealer BS'ing?

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
You don’t turn drilled or slotted rotors, as far as I know it’s always been that way. I’m sure the tire store was referring to minimum rotor thickness when they said they were legal. You just use these until they get too thin or too warped and then you replace them.

There have been several people reporting wheel bearing issues. FCA must’ve gotten a bad batch of them or something.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ordered front and rear Z23 pads today. pretty excited for less brake dust.

Reactions: Spoolin

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just read an article written about Porsche and their research to limit brake dust on their high performance cars. They claim the dust is from the rotors - not the pads?? Some pads peel more off the rotors than others. I always thought it was from the pads....live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just read an article written about Porsche and their research to limit brake dust on their high performance cars. They claim the dust is from the rotors - not the pads?? Some pads peel more off the rotors than others. I always thought it was from the pads....live and learn I guess.
Yeah, the pad dust gets slung off the rotors, so it technically comes from the rotors. LOL Seriously though, the pads are the relatively "soft" material of the brakes, thus what contributes to dust from wear, not the steel rotors themselves.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just a heads up on a very minor issue with rear Z23 pads. The hardware included with the pads is not for rear Trackhawk calipers. The included pins are too short and the retention clips are not the correct ones either ( the pads fit correctly). I simply cleaned and reused my OEM rear hardware, which is stainless steel. The front pad hardware appears to be OEM sourced and works just fine. I have had a long term business relationship with the heads of the company and will advise them of the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just a heads up on a very minor issue with rear Z23 pads. The hardware included with the pads is not for rear Trackhawk calipers. The included pins are too short and the retention clips are not the correct ones either ( the pads fit correctly). I simply cleaned and reused my OEM rear hardware, which is stainless steel. The front pad hardware appears to be OEM sourced and works just fine. I have had a long term business relationship with the heads of the company and will advise them of the issue.
good info thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts

I reused the stock hardware since mine only has 1500 miles, but good info nonetheless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just replaced mine today with the Z23's and I have never done a more simple brake job in my life. Wow! Pull the pins on the back of the calipers, slide the pads out and replace with the new ones and put the pins back in. No pulling the caliper or anything.
Hi, I have a 2018 and need pads front and rare . Should I order Z23 or Z26z thank you

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quick question: the engine break in parameters say no hard decelerations. Well, I’m putting Powerstop pads on next week and have barely broken 100 miles on my ride so it’s far from broken in.

Why no hard breaking during engine break in? Anyone had any issues with bedding new brakes on a brand new motor?

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
189 Posts
I think the bedding in process is more for the driveline than the actual engine. Hard accelerations and deccelarations put unwanted stress on surfaces which have not mirrored together, for example the diff gears, brake disk and pads, transmission clutches.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts