Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the forum, I see bits here and there re proper break in procedures. However, I don’t see a thread on this topic. Maybe it’s there, but the search terms ‘break in’ are a bit too vague.

I got my beast on New Years Eve and still only have about 600 miles on it. Partially due to inclement WI weather. I mean even the night I brought it home, there was a blizzard happening (which sucked for new car weather).

Since the, I’ve taken her on a few balls out runs here and there, but still have not launched. I’m thinking it’s about time.

I’ve read interesting articles about how high output for short durations helps to favorably break in the piston/cylinder relationship in the early life of the vehicle, but I’d love to hear more anecdotes/advice from the more experienced Trackhawkers out there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is the link:

https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/33-engine-performance-discussion/2634-break-protocol.html

And here is a nice copy and paste. I just copied this a few minutes ago, as I am picking up my new TH tomorrow and forgot what I was supposed to do/not do.

0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
• Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than half way to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears(1stto 3rd gears).
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
• Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher rpms when possible.
• Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Or do like 90% of us and drive it like you stole it from day one!

Life’s too short. Most of us won’t have these cars past 40k miles - we will be on to something new.

The people who baby it are seeing no more performance or less problems than those who ride it like a raped ape.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah-I thought something like that was already published. Thanks for the link. Although I have read articles on other sites suggesting to be more aggressive for short periods of time, to aid in a better seal between rings and cylinder. To me, the link seems to describe a more common sense strategy, which for the most part I’ve been following. But yeah, I personally find it hard not to indulge. Too much fun!

Thanks, and my apologies for bringing up something that has already been thoroughly discussed.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
you guys with this brake in stuff how old are you guys? when was the last time you ever heard anything about braking in a motor? This is not a dig on anyone as I am old myself and thats why I ask no motor built in the last 20 years need to be broke in? the only thing that needs to be done is heat cycle and set the rings and I am told they do that at the factory so guys dont baby them and never get proper seal and blow smoke all over just to come back with a warranty claim.
the rings have lil teeth on them and they run the cylinder walls making it a perfect fit and the teeth get smoothed out by the walls at the same time. if you run it like a baby the lil teeth (alot softer then walls) will get worn off before it can make that perfect fit allowing oil to get past and blow smoke.
LMAO I know you guys that are gear heads are laughing your butts off at me right now but that is as laymen as I can get.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah-I thought something like that was already published. Thanks for the link. Although I have read articles on other sites suggesting to be more aggressive for short periods of time, to aid in a better seal between rings and cylinder. To me, the link seems to describe a more common sense strategy, which for the most part I’ve been following. But yeah, I personally find it hard not to indulge. Too much fun!

Thanks, and my apologies for bringing up something that has already been thoroughly discussed.
At a few hundred miles, it implies to put it thru the wringer. I’m more surprised that they put “85mph” in writing. I think they are saying to go at it without saying, go at it. You’re at 600. Go at it. I have a 385 mile drive ahead of me tomorrow to get mine home. It’ll be broken in just fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard as much about setting the ring/cylinder. So what’s the best protocol to ensure the best eventual fit? ive heard too conservative is not a good strategy. And that incremental stress for short periods is the way to improve the fit, thereby resulting in more power production outside of the break in period. However, I’m willing to bet there are no good quality studies on this issue to provide good guidance on how to proceed.

Therefore, I defer to your expertise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I recall correctly, when the Hellcat engine came out a few years ago, they publicized the fact that the engines were run on a dyno for about 45 minutes at varying loads before they were shipped out to be installed in the cars - meaning your engine has already experienced higher rpms and loadings.

Having bought dozens of high performance cars and motorcycles new, I usually drive/ride them exactly as I would normally (no babying at all) and I do the 1st oil/filter change early (somewhere in the 100-500 miles range). None of my vehicles have ever consumed oil, blown blue smoke, nothing. I believe that OE break-in procedures are there to insulate the manufacturers from lawsuits from the guy who gets his Hayabusa/Hellcat/Mustang/etc and then redlines it out of the parking lot and into a telephone post, then sues and says "hey nobody told me I couldn't beat on it from new before the tire release agent was worn off!"

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would say it’s not so much the engine that needs the mileage, but the other components of the drivetrain
... trans/tcase/differentials.

A lot of gear meshing going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say it’s not so much the engine that needs the mileage, but the other components of the drivetrain
... trans/tcase/differentials.

A lot of gear meshing going on.

What Mike said...

From talking to a power train engineer (not from FCA) I understood that most of the break-in recommendations now were done with an eye toward the transmission, transfer case, and differentials.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why did dodge put this specific brake in procedure? Is it really an engineer from FCA that wrote it? Also it is the same proceduren for a viper an srt a hellcat or demon. I also wonder if it really makes sense

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
Why did dodge put this specific brake in procedure? Is it really an engineer from FCA that wrote it? Also it is the same proceduren for a viper an srt a hellcat or demon. I also wonder if it really makes sense

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I wasnt given anything in my books with this break in stuff. where you? as a matter of fact not one person here said they had it in writing from FCA they just have the on line thread who knows who wrote that. I never heard of gears being broke in also where is this at? I have a built rear end in one of my cars all they made me do is change the oil in 50 or 100 miles I forget they were serious about that but never said anything else.
its common sense FCA is not going to let out a bunch of transmissions or motors that need special attention because they know people like us wont listen we will just drive it how we want and use our warranty if something happens.

this topic is like religion no one is changing their minds its your car drive it how you want.

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
On your app page look for the manual and then search engine break in procedure. Or read what someone pasted a page back, it’s the exact same thing.

·
Registered
582 Posts
There is also a reason you are able redline the engine and bounce it off the limiter at will but can’t use launch control in the first 500 miles.

It’s called work hardening and basically all gear manufactures call for it. Over work the gears before and you’ll not only soften the gears, you’ll create heat that can toast the gear oil.

The procedure spelled out accomplishes both aspects, engine and drive train.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
There is also a reason you are able redline the engine and bounce it off the limiter at will but can’t use launch control in the first 500 miles.

It’s called work hardening and basically all gear manufactures call for it. Over work the gears before and you’ll not only soften the gears, you’ll create heat that can toast the gear oil.

The procedure spelled out accomplishes both aspects, engine and drive train.

I cant use LC before 500 miles? I have 400 I will try this tomorrow. LC isnt really needed to me I foot brake the few times i raced it. it goes into track mode what would LC do that can hurt something I cant do myself?
So weird no one says anything about any of this your suposed to find the info somewhere.
what happens if we all take our TH and just beat on them worse then we already do and all end up for warranty claims from broken eveythings? just dont make any sense at all that you have to baby a motor after its been heat cycled and rings set.
by no means am I trying to argue it just dont make sense they will let these fragile things out with zero warning

·
Registered
695 Posts
It’s meant to be driven hard, so drive it hard. Do it from the day you buy it till the day you get rid of it. There’s way too much useless debate on this subject. I doubt there’s been even one case of a failure of any kind being directly related to “not following the break in procedure”.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
It’s meant to be driven hard, so drive it hard. Do it from the day you buy it till the day you get rid of it. There’s way too much useless debate on this subject. I doubt there’s been even one case of a failure of any kind being directly related to “not following the break in procedure”.
I agree with you on that, like most of you I have had many high performance cars. Drove them all the same fast and hard like this one they were almost all modded before 1000 miles and never a issue even with the added power. these are not gonna get let loose on the streets fragile at all.
but Im not gonna bash these guys for doing what they want. I am actually curious to learn more about it. its just chat we are on here to talk about these thing as we all have the TH in common probably nothing else but we have that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts