Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed the advice of many and looked to buy a TH out of state working the phone and emails...my experience, to say the least, has been a failure and it left me baffled about the great stories I heard and to consider if that is, after all, a good advice to waste time shopping out of town.

I did find the out of state dealerships not very willing to engage in a discussion with you as soon as they hear you live far away which, if you think about, makes perfect sense. Why should they offer a great deal to someone that they know will never see again for service/repair or even to buy another car?? Unless they are desperate sitting on a hard to sell car in (weird color, odd option combination, a high mileage demo, etc..) which is hard to sell for a reason and is probably less desirable to you too why should they offer a better deal compared to your local dealers especially if, like me, you already live in a large metropolitan area?? One dealer from Salt Lake even told me that to my face "why should I offer a sweat deal to someone from Seattle"??

Sure you may contact the handful of mega dealers that offer great pricing on specialty vehicles due to their high volume but I think that is the exception not the rule. In my opinion and experience is simply not worth my time to start contacting far away dealers unless, as I said, we are talking that few specific mega ones (for example, Koons of Virginia) that offer great pricing to anybody walking through the door.

Am I missing something??

·
Registered
485 Posts
You make a good point.

I've bought new cars from out-of-state several times and was pleased with the pricing and treatment. These were all very expensive cars (Ferrari, 911 Turbo, BMW Alpina.) Not a one-off weird combination of colors/options that few other people would have wanted. So, it worked out for me. But there are risks of buying a sight-unseen car too. Much less risk with a brand new car, of course.

Dealers typically want local buyers, so those buyers will come to them for service and hopefully another car, down the line.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I haven't bought a vehicle in state since '05, if memory serves me. Most have been from a very small dealership, a couple from "normal size" ones, and one from a very large one. Plus a few from private sellers.

Why? Because I have yet to get even decent pricing from the local ones (with one exception).
Ranging from a used Jeep XJ to a couple of Aston Martins and 911 Turbo Ss, with Challengers, Rams, and other Porsches, in the mix in between. Most of them new, most of them ordered, and it's been maybe 30 of them since '10..

Not once has anyone questioned why we buy from them. Apparently a sale is a sale.

A good/better price is the reason for these out of state purchases, but when a vehicle is over 1,000 miles away and it'll take me two days to go get it and trailer it home, having it shipped becomes an option. In which case that cost should be added in, too.

So I have not had good luck with buying locally, but have very good experiences from out of state buys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do the same because I live in CA and have no desire to ever buy a vehicle here. I have not, to my knowledge, ever had a dealership offer me a poorer deal because I was out of state. A sale is a sale to most of them, especially in the internet era where many folks find their next car on AUTOTRADER or the like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My trackhawk was the first vehicle I've ever bought without being able to touch, drive,sit in,etc. My experience with Sheehy Ford in Ashland Va. was awesome. I got there test drove my hawk and signed paperwork, and had to go to the bank to get down payment. And was on the road in about an hour. I would highly recommend this dealership.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My trackhawk was the first vehicle I've ever bought without being able to touch, drive,sit in,etc. My experience with Sheehy Ford in Ashland Va. was awesome. I got there test drove my hawk and signed paperwork, and had to go to the bank to get down payment. And was on the road in about an hour. I would highly recommend this dealership.
Well, I have to eat crow, yesterday I bought my out of state Trackhawk From Rossi CDJR of Washington NJ. so far excellent experience, picking up the car next week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My experience has been that on the forums for a particular car, there is typically one guy who is a salesman at a dealership, and he's selling that car at fair prices in a non-bullshit way. That's how I bought my 2010 CTS-V. All of the local dealers were being a PITA, bad pricing, etc. so I went through some dude in Michigan that was selling them to everybody on the forums. Worked out well.

The one caveat is that you give up your right to Lemon Law a car if you buy it in one state and register it in another.

·
Registered
2 Posts
that is incorrect. Just because you buy a car in one state and register in another does not negate your rights to lemon it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts