Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2019 TH and aside from a GTHaus exhaust (which is rediculous and I love it) she's stock. Since the exhaust is so loud and I can't hear the blower at all. I don't want a super loud CAI either, but I'd like to enhance the intake sound and blower whine a bit.

I've searched and searched the forums with no luck as far as comparing the noise levels and hopefully intake temps as well. I had an AFE intake on my 2009 Jeep SRT, and I loved it, but I'm not sure I can justify paying almsot double what some of the other competing units cost.

Or should I just remove the resonator and plug the hole? I do like the idea of some HP and throttle response gains I get with a CAI though.

I appreciate the input guys....

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Registered
Any intake on the market will "enhance the supercharger sound" if all you want is a little more. I would recommend something with a box or heatshield to keep intake air temps in check and keep water off your you open air filter element if you drive your Hawk in the rain.

Is your engine stock? If you up the supercharger speed via a lower and upper pulley you will also increase the supercharger volume.

Personally I have the Livernois Windstorm CAI which addresses all the above. It is noticably louder than stock (perfect IMO) but I also have upper and lower pulleys spinning the supercharger much faster.

Keep in mind if you may be swapping your hood for another one day as that also will affect supercharger in cab volume. With a full carbon fiber (top and bottom) Black Ops hood my supercharger whine is once again louder yet than with the CAI alone. There is nolonger any under hood insulation and the rear raised hood cowl is wide open near the windshield to let that glorious S/C whine out for everyone to hear. 馃槈 馃憤

If you would go with a denser fiberglass dual layered hood I would imagine the supercharger whine would be much less noticable than my hood with the same CAI. And same concept if you went with a Demon hood with its air opening facing forward it would also be lower in cabin volume vs my rear raised cowl hood.
So many things/variables can affect the supercharger in cab volume you should consider.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the throrough reply. I really appreciate it. I don't plan on driving the Hawk in the rain often, but I may need to, and living in Texas, when it rains, it RAINS. I noticed the K&N unit comes with a plug for the hood nostril. Is that common? I'd rather get a closed box unit and not have to worry about the water. Then add the scoop that's installed above the headlight trim. I can't seem to find a CAI that's closed on the top. The rain is a serious concern of mine, having dealt with hydrolock before. What do you guys do in heavy rain? The Livernois is expensive. What are your intake temps like with it?

Registered
Thanks for the throrough reply. I really appreciate it. I don't plan on driving the Hawk in the rain often, but I may need to, and living in Texas, when it rains, it RAINS. I noticed the K&N unit comes with a plug for the hood nostril. Is that common? I'd rather get a closed box unit and not have to worry about the water. Then add the scoop that's installed above the headlight trim. I can't seem to find a CAI that's closed on the top. The rain is a serious concern of mine, having dealt with hydrolock before. What do you guys do in heavy rain? The Livernois is expensive. What are your intake temps like with it?

I have an AFE on mine and rain isn't an issue. The filter sits just behind the hood nostril (as most do) so the water coming in dumps ahead of the filter. I wouldn't think any CAI manufacturer would push out a product on these hawks that would allow for water intake. You can run water from a hose down the hood and see where it enters underneath and you quickly realize the filter isn't in a position that would take in water.

IMO, all of these CAI are relatively close in nature as far as design, look and feel. Sound may be a bit louder on some than others but none of these will add any noticeable gains in HP, so just go with one that fits your style and is reasonably priced for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's wierd that K&N offers a plug for their CAI. It's going to be my first mod, but I def want one of the quieter ones.

Registered
If you are set on getting a quieter intake but yet want more supercharger noise than stock your best bet is to keep the stock intake but add the plug that replaces the helmholtz resonator.

Also the cheapest option is adding the plug and a green filter, that might just be the right subtle intake volume change you are looking for.

Registered
If you decide to stick with the stock airbox setup I have this for sale, make an offer...

Registered
It's wierd that K&N offers a plug for their CAI. It's going to be my first mod, but I def want one of the quieter ones.

I felt the same - didn't want a ton of whine. I have the Borla exhaust so I do have a little more rumble than stock exhaust so I knew I needed to up the whine. I started with the JTL and found it was too loud for me. I switched to the AFE which is not only better looking, with the carbon fiber, but it provides the perfect amount of supercharger whine for me. You may have to trial and error a couple in order to find the right one for you. The good news is these are extremely easy to install and swap so it doesn't take too much time to find that right one.

Registered
If you decide to stick with the stock airbox setup I have this for sale, make an offer...

This is a very good option for our topic starter to give him a little more supercharger noise but not overwhelm him.

Super Moderator
I use a legmaker intake and the exposed filter element does tend to make things noisier but Lil Hemi isn鈥檛 exactly subtle anymore.

Registered
I felt the same - didn't want a ton of whine. I have the Borla exhaust so I do have a little more rumble than stock exhaust so I knew I needed to up the whine. I started with the JTL and found it was too loud for me. I switched to the AFE which is not only better looking, with the carbon fiber, but it provides the perfect amount of supercharger whine for me. You may have to trial and error a couple in order to find the right one for you. The good news is these are extremely easy to install and swap so it doesn't take too much time to find that right one.
New Trackhawk owner here. ADAMKC-Did you go with the Borla S-type or ATAK exhaust? I am looking at the Borla S-type and AFE CAI combination. Curious if that is what you have and any other thoughts you may have. Thx!

Registered
New Trackhawk owner here. ADAMKC-Did you go with the Borla S-type or ATAK exhaust? I am looking at the Borla S-type and AFE CAI combination. Curious if that is what you have and any other thoughts you may have. Thx!
I have the Borla S-Type and the AFE intake. For me (I'm 44) it's the perfect amount of growl without being obnoxious. You start it and you know it's got something special under the hood. This thing now sounds the way it should and WOT (Wide Open throttle) is amazing and a head turner. The Borla added enough growl where I then need to boost the supercharger whine and the AFE added that perfect amount of whine I was looking for. AFE is a bit more expensive than others, but the sound is perfect and the carbon fiber adds a great look as well.

Registered
I have the Borla S-Type and the AFE intake. For me (I'm 44) it's the perfect amount of growl without being obnoxious. You start it and you know it's got something special under the hood. This thing now sounds the way it should and WOT (Wide Open throttle) is amazing and a head turner. The Borla added enough growl where I then need to boost the supercharger whine and the AFE added that perfect amount of whine I was looking for. AFE is a bit more expensive than others, but the sound is perfect and the carbon fiber adds a great look as well.
I appreciate the info. I too am in my mid 40's and wanted a little more sound without going crazy. Gone are the Flowmaster with dumps days of old, where the louder the better seemed to be the way. I think your set up is exactly what I am looking for. Did you do anything to combat the heat? Not sure what part of the country you are in, but living in Texas with the TH I am a little concerned with how she will perform in the heat of summer.

Registered
I appreciate the info. I too am in my mid 40's and wanted a little more sound without going crazy. Gone are the Flowmaster with dumps days of old, where the louder the better seemed to be the way. I think your set up is exactly what I am looking for. Did you do anything to combat the heat? Not sure what part of the country you are in, but living in Texas with the TH I am a little concerned with how she will perform in the heat of summer.
I'm in KS so maybe not Texas heat but we see a lot of heat in the summer and there's been no issues. My only mods are the exhaust, CAI, catch can, tint, PPF, wheels, lowering springs and a better sub to replace the factory. I've done nothing to the engine nor did I change the thermostat.

Registered
I swapped out my Heimholtz resonator on the intake with a Fenco plumbing plug that I got from Lowes which fit perfectly. I used a Green filter initially and it at first as it gave me more noise but in the end, those filters let in a whole pile of crap past it and into the intake and tube. The pleats are very narrow on them and they don't filter well at all. My intake was filthy after a month.

I switched to an AFE dryflo panel filter and it works fantastic. Intake is still nice and clean a year later.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So what about intake temps? I leaning towards the AFE intake, but now I'm reading about all these hot IATs. There's no real conclusive information out there.

Registered
So what about intake temps? I leaning towards the AFE intake, but now I'm reading about all these hot IATs. There's no real conclusive information out there.

Surfocean, I am waiting for my AFE CAI to arrive and will be happy to report back on temps once I install it. I just installed the Borla S-type exhaust yesterday and absolutely love it. Ordered the CAI 4/19 just waiting for it to ship...

Registered

I've got the AFE on my Hawk and my temps did not change from stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts