Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been some of you that have installed the RacingBrake Carbon Ceramic rotors. Any feedback at all you can shed on these? I've been looking at the technical pros/cons for months now.

I did a slight unsprung weight reduction on a WK1 srt8 and it had a remarkable improvement on the way that thing handled and ride quality, some credit due to non-run-flat tires. In regards to acceleration this test puts things into perspective... Go Faster with Lightweight Brake Rotors

No matter how heavy an object is, wheel horsepower gain has to show up as improved acceleration. Same day test, 12 whp gain 7 tq gain by switching to 2-pc lightweight rotors on an Evo. And that was only 10lbs total rotating weight. Don't know the reputation of STM, maybe Lil Hemi can vouch for them?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lets put it this way. They came with my 911. I took them off, boxed them up, and put them up in the attic for storage until its time to sell the car. Bought the most generic iron rotors I could find and the most aggressive but not squealing pads. Rotors and pads are wear items. Dont know what they might cost for a TH application, but $20k thereabouts at the dealer makes zero sense even for a Porsche. Maybe 20 years ago when it was a new thing they could get away with that, but these days? Crazy! They are great that they don’t make dust, and yes less unsprung weight, but you can kill them in one or two track days if you drive hard. The hardcore Porsche trackrats use iron rotors for a reason. Unless you have that kind of dough to save some unsprung weight and/or only drive on the street and want something cool to showoff at cars & coffee, I think there are better uses for the money, especially on something like a TH that’s so big and heavy already.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Xaos. Sounds like when you made the swap you could feel the way the car drove with the PCCB vs the iron rotors? I did a bit of reading about the PCCB's. Could never tell if the PCCB's are using the newer continuous long fiber technology or chopped fibers? Supposed to be improvement in durability/heat capacity and ability to have them refurbished a several times. I don't plan on doing any track days, I'm having too much fun going straight a quarter mile at a time. And amazed how light-footed my wk1 felt. Was just trying to get more data just in cast there is a good sale on these. Just priced out wheels and was equally sticker shocked and not even close to the 70 something pounds of savings. Lol, seems like CCB's are becoming the equivalent mod of a huge rear spoiler on a civic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 991 PCCBs are supposed to be more durable than the earlier stuff from the 996/997 days, but they can still get beaten up at the track. The biggest difference in driving feeling I was able to notice (mine is a 997) was it was slightly easier to to turn the steering wheel at speed (like when you are going through a slalom / autocross course) because less angular momentum with the lighter front rotors. Never ran them at the track so cant really comment on real world performance improvements. Theoretically, your handling and even straight line acceleration will improve because of less rotating / sprung mass, and as they say, “weight is the enemy, and unsprung weight is the devil”. Its just a question of how much you want to pay for the marginal benefit, and on a TH, you have so much weight overall, that swapping to ceramic rotors is just that smaller of a weigh loss percentage wise. Dont forget will will need to swap pads to at the same time. Would be interested to hear what you decide to do and your thoughts afterward.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aren't carbon ceramic rotors should last you for 200k miles or more? The only downside is they are expensive and they can chip easily.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, should last a long time, for street use. I would definitely have to think out any dealer visits that require wheel removal for sure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts