Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got new pads after waiting months for several manufacturers to produce them. I have just received the Power Stop Z16 Ceramic pads for front and rear. I may have time to fit them tomorrow and suspect it will take a lot longer to clean my wheels while off than to actually fit the pads. I’m really hoping they are “Clean Ride” as advertised

I’ll post from pics from my pc tomorrow I can’t seem to do it from my iPad

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looking forward to your feedback on the install and hopefully the disappearance for the most part of the brake dust.
Can someone enlighten me about the difference between Z16, Z23, Z26, Z36?
Thanks in advance

Only done about 150miles since changing the pads all round to the Z16 Ceramic Power Stop. Wow what a difference only by about 1000% I wont say no dust at all but very minimal compared to stock pads and there are many occasions that when I need to apply the brakes I need to slow down quickly! I also notice they preform slightly better than stock and no brake noise like I had with stock pads

·
Super Moderator
2,718 Posts
Go Z23 on all corners, pretty sure the 26 are only for the rear. I’m waiting on my 23 for the front. Already put 26 on the rear before I found out they don’t make them for the fronts, plus they are way squeaky at the beginning of each day. I might go ahead and put 23 on the rear to get rid of the noise. The dust issue is gone though!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah I got the z23 for the rear and waiting on the front to install all at once. Idk why shipping is taking so long. I ordered the z23 for the front about a month ago off of summit racing website.. hopefully it they arrive soon!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you replace the rotors also or just the pads. I have approx. 21,000 miles on my TH and the brakes are squeaking like crazy. They still seem to stop fine but the dealer is telling me to expect a full brake job at my next oil change which will be soon.

I'm thinking about having them install Power stop Pads and Rotors all the way around. It will actually be cheaper than the dealer replacing with stock and hopefully will eliminate the dust and noise also.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I replaced front pads around the same time frame, 20-25k miles, I’m now 36k miles and rotors are way past gone.

So, use that as a gauge, because you’ll likely be doing another pad and also a rotor change in about 10-12k miles if you just do pads now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put the Power Stop Z23 on the front. I ran into an issue, that the metal backing of the new pads curves around the sides and makes the entire pad like 1 or 2mm taller than the stocks. This prevented them from sliding in at all. I grinded them down on each end, with a table grinder, until the would fit. I just finished driving around to bed them down. Absolutely NO squeaking so far!!! I also sprayed everything down with CDC break cleaner and also a CDC branded anti-squeak spray. Hope this helps others!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put the Power Stop Z23 on the front. I ran into an issue, that the metal backing of the new pads curves around the sides and makes the entire pad like 1 or 2mm taller than the stocks. This prevented them from sliding in at all. I grinded them down on each end, with a table grinder, until the would fit. I just finished driving around to bed them down. Absolutely NO squeaking so far!!! I also sprayed everything down with CDC break cleaner and also a CDC branded anti-squeak spray. Hope this helps others!
I did not have to take the calipers off. I took the one 12 or 13mm bolt off and then the two pins, I hammered out using a hole punch. I was able to get the old pads out with a combination of brute force and vice grips to grab the ends. The front pistons, I was able to flush down using two hands, the back ones I had to leverage flush with a large flathead screw driver using gentle leverage against the rotor itself. After grinding down the metal wrap arounds, as I mentioned above, I still had to rubber mallet them into position a bit.

Probably could have avoided some of this by taking the calipers off completely, I dunno.

·
Super Moderator
2,718 Posts
I think something is wrong on your end, there shouldn’t be any need to do grinding or have to use a mallet. Definitely do not need to remove calipers to install brake pads. Is this your first set of Brembo’s?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ouch, that sounds rough. I just replaced all 4 corners with power stops and had no issue getting the old pads out or new pads in. Are you sure you compressed the pistons all the way in before you removed the old pads? The pistons should be flush with the caliper body when compressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think something is wrong on your end, there shouldn’t be any need to do grinding or have to use a mallet. Definitely do not need to remove calipers to install brake pads. Is this your first set of Brembo’s?

Could be. I dunno. This is just what I had to do with my particular application. I was just sharing, in case others run into the same issue. And to clarify, the Z 23s ended up being too tall long ways, not depth between the pistons and the rotor. I wish I had taken a picture of the issue. There was a 0% chance they were going to go in without grinding. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.