Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. My company car lease ends in June and I am trying to decide between the Durango SRT and the Jeep Trackhawk. My current company car is an Audi RS5, which I really like. However, my wife and I bought a weekend vacation home with lots of open space, so we are constantly hauling kids and stuff back and forth, and no one wants to ride in the back of a sport coupe for the 80 minute drive. Gas, insurance, repairs, etc. for the company car are on the house, so there is good reason to want to use the work vehicle for our weekend excursions. Although I want something more practical, I don't want to give up too much excitement in the name of practicality, so a high powered SUV seems to fit the bill. I have considered a pickup truck, but the full size ones are too big for daily use in suburbia, and they are generally not much fun to drive. I have considered the German high HP SUV's, but they are too expensive (the car lease allowance is $1,050/month and after that I pay out of pocket for the excess). At the end of the day, the two vehicles that fit my needs and desired price points are the SRT and Trackhawk. I rented a Durango GT for a couple of weeks last month while traveling on business, and found the vehicle to be very livable, but thought it would probably be much more fun with a couple hundred extra horsepower. After scouring this forum and the Durango SRT forum for information as well as reviewing the multitude of tests online, I have boiled the general strengths of each vehicle as following:

SRT:
Three row seating with reclining captain chairs in the second row, so the kids will be happier.
Cheaper - it will definitely fit within the budget while the Trackhawk will probably go over.
Can be purchased with integrated roof rails which I need for my Thule top box.

Trackhawk:
700+ hp - who doesn't want that?
Seems like the Trackhawk might get better gas mileage. While I am not so concerned about the gas mileage, I am concerned about range. The one thing I hate about my Audi is having to fill the tank so often (every 230 miles, give or take).

I still have a few months to decide, but would like to hear from those who are in the know. Is there anything I am missing in my search? Are there any other vehicles that might fit the bill? Thanks in advance. Phil.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Depends. (not the kind you wear)... I've had a couple of GC SRT's and now I have a TH. (Can't comment on a Durango SRT both both the SRT's have the 6.4 Hemi) Both carry the same amount of stuff and people. Both can be had with roof racks, tow packages, etc. My mileage on the SRT's averaged about 17 (mostly highway driving) and so far I'm seeing about 15 on the TH (mostly highway driving too). The SRT performance is awesome, but the TH is over the top, IMO. I always thought there was no such thing as too much horsepower for a daily driver, but the TH comes close. If you can drive both for a while, you'll find they are very similar in comfort, features and driveability. However, that changes when you really put your foot in it. So if the dollar difference is no big deal and performance is a big deal then you'll want a TH.

"From my perspective/experience, I'd compare the performance difference between a GC SRT and TH is "similar" to the difference between a C7 Corvette and a C7 Z06 Corvette, if that helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Based on your info I would go Durango. Seats, kids space, cruising range.

If space and cruising rang don’t matter TH all the way because it can quite easily require more frequent fuel stops!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Before the RS5, I had an Audi TT-RS that was modified. It was somewhere around 475hp/500lb at the crank when I was finished and the car weighed less than 3,000 lbs. The power just never got old, and I only got rid of it b/c the transmission couldn't handle the extra power. I wouldn't expect the Durango to replicate that power, but the Trackhawk looks like it would. If the Durango came with the same engine as the Trackhawk, then the decision would be more easily made.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I doubt you will find either a bad choice.

Maybe go to the local dealer for test drives :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that's a good idea. One of the dealers near me has both. I bought a Ram from them last year, so they shouldn't have a problem with that.

·
Banned
362 Posts
There's not a lot of difference between a SRT and TH until you put your foot in it. Options and driveability are identical, IMO. The TH may ride a little stiffer and make a little more noise but that's about all you are going to notice driving it to church. Now if the dealer will let you do a launch with each, then you will easily know. Good luck finding such a dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you make a decision yet?

I am on the fence for both as well. After test driving the SRT Durango and here are my impressions of that car:

*Inside is nice. It is very similar to my 2500 Ram, and my dads Overland though. Parts bin is the same across the lineup.
*Off the line is great . Top-end, pretty dead to me. Coming from an RS5, I think you will be disappointed. I had an SRT Magnum and it ran 13.0s. That's the same as the Durango. The magnum screamed on the top end but couldn't get off the line to save it's life between the gearing and programming. As much as I like 0-60, I like topend the same. My Golf R is a 0-60 monster, but runs out of steam past 60. I hate it. After 3 years I am done with it.
*3 rows of seats is deceiving. It has no option for bench in the middle, sitting a max of 6 people. That's only 1 more than the GC. I think Having 7 seats would be a better selling point. I can fit 6 people in my Ram Megacab.
*An RT Durango can be had for $40-45K all day. I don't think the SRT is $20K more vehicle. I think if the SRT sell price was closer to 55K they would sell like hot cakes. $65K is a bit steep imo.
*8K towing capacity is really impressive

The TrackHawk is in a different category. You can now get a base model for $81K, which puts it $20K over a base SRT Durango. I have not driven one, but, IMO, the extra 20K is there. Easily tunable vs the SRT is pretty limited with the NA engine. Closest vehicle in it's class is easily $50K more. With that being said, I don't think people shopping for X5M or AMG variant will be cross shopping the TH.

While $80-90K for what it is, seems like a bargain, it is still a lot of scratch for any vehicle. ZL1 and Charger **** cat are still $30K less and just as capable vehicles (minus the tow/utility).

For this reason I go back and forth. I can afford the TH, but on the flip side I could also get a Durango SRT and have $20K to invest into something else. Maybe a clean FJ60. Or I could get an RT Durango which should still be fun on the street, and have $40K which puts me pretty close to getting a Hellcat in addition to the Durango RT.

If you can only have 1 car, it's a no brainer. TH all the way. For someone like me that enjoys having multiple cars, it's a harder trigger to pull when I can get 2 nice dedicated cars for almost the price that will do each task better. I believe this is why they are now dropping the prices on them. The first rush of people wanting them has happened, and now you have the second set of people on the fence like myself having a hard time justifying the cost, even at $85K when I could get 2 cars that perform better for almost the same price.

I am waiting on the Durango SRTs to see if they start dropping in price like everything else FCA sells. If they drop to 55K for well option model, I think it would be enough for me to pick one up over the TH.

·
Registered
27 Posts
IWhile $80-90K for what it is, seems like a bargain, it is still a lot of scratch for any vehicle. ZL1 and Charger **** cat are still $30K less and just as capable vehicles (minus the tow/utility).

dunno how you can compare the 2- similar horsepower..but thats it..
completely different reasons to own one or the other....i have the distinct pleasure of owning both....If i had to chose ONE....hands down TH

·
Registered
695 Posts
Where can you buy a Trackhawk for 80k? That sounds like a pipe dream.

Hellcats can’t hang with a Trackhawk either, so that comparison doesn’t seem to hold water. Check out some videos on YouTube for reference. They may share the same engine, but they clearly don’t share the same transmission, and that is what sets the Trackhawk apart from everything else. If you opt to buy 2 cars instead of One Trackhawk, you’ll end up spending far more money and have two inferior vehicles to a Trackhawk. If this is even a contemplation for you it’s probably not the right car for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry $83K. Seems a couple of the 81K ones have sold. Just search on cars .com. I don't have enough posts to link any.

Also, I came here to learn about the car because I am truly interested in getting one, not to start a flame war. They are absolutely different vehicles, however, they are both huge, heavy SUVs that get off the line amazingly well. In that sense, they are pretty similar.

As for the TH being quicker than a HC, sure, maybe on the street with both being on street tires. No way at the track or sticky tires on both. HC are running low 11s with 10+ mph more on the big end out of the box. TH are running high 11s @ 113. The Hennesy video was on the street on all seasons. Once the Challenger got some traction you could see it pulling the TH on the top end pretty quickly. Give that car some sticky tires it needs. I had to run ET Radials on my 500hp TA because the nittos weren't even cutting it. All Seasons would had been laughable.

I totally understand the appeal of AWD on the street and understand the advantages. My Golf R (AWD) will run a measly 12.0 @ 113. However, on the street and the half-mile airport drags I can out 1/8 mile and run close to the same 1/4 mile as a rwd car making 300 more whp than me. Past 1/4 mile they would leave me like I was standing. The cars that put down only 80-100 more hp, I easily had in the 1/4 and the 1/2 mile as well. However, from a roll, they would edge me out. The AWD makes up a lot on the street. Where the car lacks in horsepower, it makes up in traction. Same with the TH.

The TH is an amazing vehicle and on my short list as I stated. However, from a roll, it's weight and aerodynamics are working against it compared to any HC. Again, this is just an observation. I haven't made up my mind one way or the other yet. My biggest issue is the TH runs very close to what my Golf runs @ 113mph traps. Without even driving it, the numbers tell me it's going to get off the line better, but slow down more on the topend, which is an area I am personally looking to improve over what I currently have. This is the reason I am personally on the fence (I did not create this post). As I said, the TH is probably the best all around car ever produced. For someone like me looking for a more 1/4 mile orientated vehicle, it falls just a little short. However, I have a soft spot for high power unique cars that are understated. Hence my previous Magnum SRT and current Golf R ownership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For giggles, these are the numbers I have found from time slips posted.

1/8 and 1/4 #s
Trackhawk: 7.59 @ 90.75mph, 11.9 @ 114mph; Difference of 4.31 @ 23.5mph
Durango SRT: 8.4 @ 82mph, 13.1 @ 104 mph; Difference of 4.7 @ 22mph
Charger HC (stock, sticky tires): 7.0 @ 101mph, 10.9 @ 125.5mph; Difference of 3.9 @ 24.5 mph
Golf: 8.0 @ 90mph; 12.3 @ 113mph; Difference of 4.3 @ 23 mph

Cavet: Due to poor prep, I was spinning hard off the line the day I went. However, the big end of the track still tells you what the car is capable of. The 12.3 was with a 2.0 60'. On my 1.8 60' runs, the car would spin into 2nd messing up the run.

The TH launches hard. Only 1/2 second difference than the Charger in the 1/8 and only loses another 1/2 on the big end is impressive for a vehicle weighing over 5k lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Roy, I was going to go with the Durango for the extra utility. I do drool over the Trackhawk's performance capabilities, but the practical side of me struggles with the question of where I am going to unleash that monster. Between the RS5 and the Boxster, I constantly feel like my next ticket is just around the corner, and neither of those is anywhere near as fast as the Trackhawk. However, Dodge pulled the leasing program for the Durango SRT. They did the same with the Jeep SRT. Oddly, you can still lease a Trackhawk. My Audi lease is not up until July, so I have some time left to see what unfolds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
THE INSIDE STYLING IS A LITTLE CHEAPER LOOKING IN THE DODGE DURANGO SRT COMPAIRED TO THE JEEP SRT. THE AUX POWER AND STEREO inputs THAT ARE LOW ON THE CENTER console are cover with a little door on the jeep but are in open view on the dodge

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you can swing the TH, you will feel something special right at the test drive. This is my every day car, and driving with my wife and three kids is comfortable for all, and the storage is large. I'm 6 months and 4800 miles in, and thankfully, I'm a very happy driver. My wife and daughter love it too. If you don't get a lemon (I've been reading this forum for months, and QC and CS with FCA is lackluster to put it lightly), there is NOTHING else on the road that gets my juices flowing. It's a sick ride!

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you can swing the TH, you will feel something special right at the test drive. This is my every day car, and driving with my wife and three kids is comfortable for all, and the storage is large. I'm 6 months and 4800 miles in, and thankfully, I'm a very happy driver. My wife and daughter love it too. If you don't get a lemon (I've been reading this forum for months, and QC and CS with FCA is lackluster to put it lightly), there is NOTHING else on the road that gets my juices flowing. It's a sick ride!
at one point i was considering getting a Porsche Cayenne but the horror stories about what can go wrong and what actually has all kept me away :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts