Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - new Trackhawk owner and new to the forums here. Bought a 2018 - maybe ~1500 miles when I bought it new. I'm starting to creep up on 5K miles and I've started to notice a clanking/thudding sound when braking at slow speeds or downshifting (presumably from 2nd to 1st gear). It only happens once and then stops. It only happens again if I put the car in reverse and then back into drive again.

Now I know there have been multiple threads on this but I can't seem to identify whether or not there has been a definitive diagnosis/solution to this issue. As it stands, the level 3 tech (as far as I was told) at the dealership listened to the sound and apparently diagnosed it as a bad rear axle shaft (full disclosure - the service advisor admitted the the tech never even physically looked at the car and only went off the sound..?).

Any insight on what the problem/fix might be would be very much appreciated. Seen enough horror stories on this forum that I'm already starting to get concerned. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey all - new Trackhawk owner and new to the forums here. Bought a 2018 - maybe ~1500 miles when I bought it new. I'm starting to creep up on 5K miles and I've started to notice a clanking/thudding sound when braking at slow speeds or downshifting (presumably from 2nd to 1st gear). It only happens once and then stops. It only happens again if I put the car in reverse and then back into drive again.

Now I know there have been multiple threads on this but I can't seem to identify whether or not there has been a definitive diagnosis/solution to this issue. As it stands, the level 3 tech (as far as I was told) at the dealership listened to the sound and apparently diagnosed it as a bad rear axle shaft (full disclosure - the service advisor admitted the the tech never even physically looked at the car and only went off the sound..?).

Any insight on what the problem/fix might be would be very much appreciated. Seen enough horror stories on this forum that I'm already starting to get concerned. Thanks fellas.
Update: After 1 year of hearing a thump sound when slowing down from 30 to 15 mph the noise is gone. 1 dealer told me the noise was normal. 2nd dealer rebuilt my transfer case due to slack in the chain. Slack was causing the noise while downshifting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. I just got back from the dealership yesterday. They replaced a rear axle shaft and claimed it was all fixed. Didn't even get out of the parking lot before it made the popping sound. May have to ask them to look into replacing the transfer case. Will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decided to get FCA involved since dealership seems either incompetent or unwilling to actually try and address the problem. FCA directed me to take it to the dealership and let them know that FCA is recommending a STAR case. Not sure what this is but hopefully it lights a fire under the dealership's @$$. Will continue to keep all posted until this is rectified.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well lo and behold, you were quite right. Dealership found a few STAR cases that they claimed mitigated my concerns, and that the violent popping sound that I'm hearing is in fact how the 2-piece rotors are intended to sound. Still haven't been able to get a logical answer from anyone regarding how they can determine something to be working properly and in good order when one rotor is making no sound and the other is making an awful sound. That doesn't sound intentional to me. That being said, FCA was quick to tell me that it was within specs and didn't affect the vehicle and therefore I'm SOL and they're trying to close the case. I'm still trying to give them hell. More to come.

·
Super Moderator
2,515 Posts
Try taking the wheel off, wiggle the rotor in the caliper, maybe back the pads off with your hands and Then torque the lugs in a progressive series of torques Until you are at spec. See if that doesn’t help. I’ve heard these two piece rotors can be affected by the wheel not being torqued correctly. 🤞🏻

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Much of what I'm reading lately is that aftermarket brake pads can have issues with the OEM calipers, leading to the brake pad shifting bake and forth in the caliper (even with the shims properly installed). Hate to get rid of the Power Stop Z23s and go back to the dusty OEM Brembo pads, but... perhaps worth trying to see if it alleviates this god awful popping noise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The brake pads will only shift when going from forward to reverse (and back), and then it’s just a light click sound that you’d miss unless you knew what you were listing for. It’s a very small distance, probably a mm or less. The shifting happens immediately once you start rolling in the new direction. This is normal / not a problem. If you used some of the super sticky anti squeal compound on the back of the brake pads then it could delay the shifting of the pads until under braking and cause a more forceful impact against the caliper - so don’t do that, use the grease that the pads came with ;)

But even then I don’t think this would be the problem based on your description. I’m tending to agree with transfer case or possibly a transmission issue

·
Registered
131 Posts
The brake pads will only shift when going from forward to reverse (and back), and then it’s just a light click sound that you’d miss unless you knew what you were listing for. It’s a very small distance, probably a mm or less. The shifting happens immediately once you start rolling in the new direction. This is normal / not a problem. If you used some of the super sticky anti squeal compound on the back of the brake pads then it could delay the shifting of the pads until under braking and cause a more forceful impact against the caliper - so don’t do that, use the grease that the pads came with ;)

But even then I don’t think this would be the problem based on your description. I’m tending to agree with transfer case or possibly a transmission issue
I can verify this with mine. I used the stickier silicon lube at the back of my z23s. In wet weather, my front pads will literally clunk when first moving the vehicle. It is a bit embarrassing. I picked up a new set of Z36 pads and will clean up everything and install them with the stock lube on the back of the pads that they come with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts