Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 weeks of quarantine, I took my daughter to 7/11 (gloved and masked up) about a mile away for ice cream. Warmed my baby up for a few minutes before, then putted over. On the way home, I put my right foot into its usual position, the floor. Came up to the red light 1/2 block from home and downshifted. No noise, nothing felt but my heater hose blew and it dumped all my coolant. Was relieved after figuring out the smoke was steam and my baby was not burning to death in front of me. Towed it to dealer next morning who, after more than week, got the hose. Then the tech drove it six freaking miles and all the cool and drained into the motor. Had 18,245 on odometer and now has 18,251. Motor is getting dropped now to find out whether the head is cracked or the gasket failed. My guess is the gasket first failed resulting in the added pressure bursting the heater hose and then the mechanic’s six mile punishing joyride killed the motor, but I’m just a dumb (bad ass) lawyer so what do I know. Informed by experience shared thoughts on the cause and whether FCA will try to rebuild or swap out for a new engine would be greatly appreciated. I’m worried the tech, who’s a kid and should have manually pressure checked my baby before idling for a bit, lacks the skill and experience to rebuild. This is my second huge issue, with the first being the factory’s failure to tighten my axle nut and resulting in a new hub, knuckle, etc., and 29 days loss of use. Love my TH, but worried she’ll never be the same.
B6AE6F4D-0133-4CF8-B060-BF82A713AB49.jpeg

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ouch, that is a bummer.

Your dealership won’t be doing the rebuild. Dealerships don’t have the necessary machine shop for something like that. They’ll either get a new complete Hellcat 6.2 crate setup, or a new long block.

My guess is they want a new crate engine considering the failure and the possibilities of other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd expect and advocate for a new crate engine as well. With most dealerships, my philosophy is less is best! It would probably also be worthwhile to boroscope the first off cats once the engine is out to make sure they weren't damaged by water in the exhaust.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yikes. Sorry to hear keep us posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch, that is a bummer.

Your dealership won’t be doing the rebuild. Dealerships don’t have the necessary machine shop for something like that. They’ll either get a new complete Hellcat 6.2 crate setup, or a new long block.

My guess is they want a new crate engine considering the failure and the possibilities of other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s what the tech said too. Should know soon. Dropped the motor today!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd expect and advocate for a new crate engine as well. With most dealerships, my philosophy is less is best! It would probably also be worthwhile to boroscope the first off cats once the engine is out to make sure they weren't damaged by water in the exhaust.
Seems like a good time to install some long tube headers with new cats, if I can get the dealer to agree ($$$)

338 Posts
Ouch that is terrible , so sorry to hear about your baby. Hopefully they'll drop a brand new engine in there for you. We offer built engines if it doesn't work out. Would also be a perfect excuse to do some upgrades as another member mentioned while it's torn apart though. Best of luck with everything, hoping for the best!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New long block, not a full new crate motor. Should get it back today or tomorrow. Excited to have her back after more than 45 days, but nervous it will not be the same.
3B635C36-7C92-46F9-B728-766D9D72CD1C.jpeg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She’s back. 200 soft miles so far seating the rings, and she’s purring! And FCA stepped up today with a two options offer, both impressive!!! I’m hard to impress as a jaded trial attorney, but I’m impressed with FCA’s opening alternative offers. Of course, o told them I need to think about them and would get back with them. Stay tuned,. Huge shout out to Kyle at Santa Monica Jeep! GREat DEALERSHIP FROM TOP DIWN!!! Dave (GM) is the Man!!! Albert the service advisor drives a mini van, but puts his best foot forward at every turn. I’m impressed with both FCA and the talented crew at Santa Monica Jeep!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FCA came correct. Offered to buy back or replace, or alternatively (which I took) - $8,500 cash, 8 year/125,000 max care zero deductible extended warranty, 5 free oil changes, and 10% off invoice on my next FCA product. Plus the new long block and an alignment since they dropped the subframe. Super stocked to be able to whip the beast for years to come knowing I can drop her off for covered repairs. Thanks FCA!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts