Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove her off the line and filled up after only 30 miles in I started to smell something then pulled over and hood started smoking opened her up and then seen massive amounts of coolant leaking.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check the coolant reservoir overflow first. I’ve “launched” coolant out many times because of where they put the overflow port. See my picture.

After a hard dig/launch I can expect at least a splash of coolant exiting the overflow tube and spilling out. I thought I had a leak too. Even took pictures. But what could they do about it except design a better overflow port...

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately this is not the case with me. Was more of a faucet wide open at the bottom left side for myself. The road was filled with coolant by the time the tow truck arrived. I never took her over 3000 rpm or top speed of 50mph trying to break her in slowly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the delay. I was just excited to get her back. They told me that they never properly hooked up a coolant hose causing the leak. Unfortunately since I'm in Germany and they barely speak English hard to translate exactly where. She still smells a little like burnt oil but they said after 150 miles should go away. Not the way I wanted to start with her. I'll keep you informed of any other changes to her. Hope you guys dont deal with this issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
I never took her over 3000 rpm or top speed of 50mph trying to break her in slowly
break in? curious what do you think needs breaking in? these are not 1962 Impalas you can drive it anyway you want. they set the rings when they start the car at factory and you have roller cams.
now you have me second guessing myself lol am I missing something?

·
Registered
695 Posts
break in? curious what do you think needs breaking in? these are not 1962 Impalas you can drive it anyway you want. they set the rings when they start the car at factory and you have roller cams.
now you have me second guessing myself lol am I missing something?
I drove it like I stole it from day one. I think it’s kind of nonsense as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I drove it like I stole it from day one. I think it’s kind of nonsense as well.
I was an auto Mech for Mitsu years ago and had co-worker buddy who went to racing school for motorcycle engine mechanics and he said after a rebuild we don’t break it in - we race it. I was surprised but it is the standard with high performance engines. Not sure why FCA takes a different stance. Here is a snippet from a racing engine company.

No matter how well an engine is assembled, one of the most critical parts of the engine building process is the break in. These principles apply to all 4 stroke engines: Street or Race Motorcycles, Cars, Snowmobiles, Airplanes & yes even Mullenix LS Racing Engines. So what’s the best way to break in a new engine? The Short Answer: Run it Hard!

http://www.mullenixracingengines.com/how-to-break-in-your-engine

·
Registered
50 Posts
coolant leak

Only coolant leak, not exactly, my TH lost all the intercooler fluid. The cause was a failed gasket at a hose connection. Took more than 2 weeks to get a new hose assembly. Dealer reassembled with the new hose and filled the container to the mark. I wonder if they ran it after because I did not get 6 blocks, and it needed more fluid. I took it back and they topped it off. Then I got home, maybe 20 min drive and it lit up again. I had to fill the tank 3 times before the level did not drop on the tank. I thought it was leaking again but it wasn't, it just takes more than a few miles to get all the air out.
Doug

·
Registered
695 Posts
I was an auto Mech for Mitsu years ago and had co-worker buddy who went to racing school for motorcycle engine mechanics and he said after a rebuild we don’t break it in - we race it. I was surprised but it is the standard with high performance engines. Not sure why FCA takes a different stance. Here is a snippet from a racing engine company.

No matter how well an engine is assembled, one of the most critical parts of the engine building process is the break in. These principles apply to all 4 stroke engines: Street or Race Motorcycles, Cars, Snowmobiles, Airplanes & yes even Mullenix LS Racing Engines. So what’s the best way to break in a new engine? The Short Answer: Run it Hard!

http://www.mullenixracingengines.com/how-to-break-in-your-engine
Good to know, and just as I suspected. I drove my 2010 GC SRT really hard from day one, and I didn’t have any issues with it at all - ever. Sold it after 8 years to get the TH.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts