Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will start off long, but maybe the series of events will help someone pinpoint WTF is happening...
2018 TH 38k miles
Drove the TH 3 days the week I parked it (never had issues with it before this). Went off on a 3 week business trip. Car parked outside, 2 video cameras pointed at it, nobody messed with it. Came home and went to unlock it with the fob and nothing. Tried the second fob, still nothing. Put a new battery in one of the fobs, still nothing. Used the key to open the drivers door and the horn/alarm started blasting. Tried holding the fob on start button (while pressing brake) still nothing. Spent 2 minutes going deaf under the hood trying to find the horn fuse. Finally found it and pulled. Now I can work in quiet. Grabbed a portable jump box and hooked it up to the underhood posts and still nothing. I now also noticed that there were no dash or u-connect power. My power seats still worked though. Checked the battery and it was measuring 11.5 volts. The clicking of relays and exterior lights kept flashing as I looked thru the fuse box for other obvious signs of something.... I gave up and hooked a battery tender to it for the night. Came out the next day and the battery was at 7.8 volts!!! I ordered a new battery today (Die Hard H7-AGM). Pulled the old one and went and picked up the new one. Plugged the new battery in and still nothing!!! Bought a new pack of batteries and put brand new fob batteries in and still nothing.
When the battery is connected I have dome lights, I can turn my headlights on, doors lock and unlock with door switches, power seats move, fuel and rear hatch open. But I have no power to uconnect screen, my gauges don't work and as I mentioned, the fobs do nothing. The only light that comes on the dash at all is the "off" word when I push the start button. The new battery reads 12.7 volts. I obviously have power throughout the TH, but something is keeping power from going to something very important. I've checked all the underhood fuses and non of those are blown. I also checked all the fuses under the main + jumper post and they are all good.

Is there some security thing that hasn't reset since the TH died while in "alarm" mode? WTF else could be keeping the TH from powering up?

We did have some serious thunder storms during the three weeks I was gone that tripped several of our house GFCI outlets on multiple nights so I'm not sure if any of that electrical-ness messed with the Hawk or not.

Thanks for reading this and let me know of things to checkout.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did. I even tried pushing it with both fobs at the same time ;).. It seems as if, like you said, some part of the circuit got fried, but not completely as I still have power inside the car.

Does anyone know where or what receives the signal from the fobs and where it is or what it's called? I'd like to figure out that circuit as our fobs are very critical to the running of the TH.

Thanks,

J

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
349 Posts
My opinion is to take the TH to either a dealer or a shop that you trust. If the security module is fried you need will need to reprogram the fobs after replacing.
I am sure you can find the parts need second hand.

If you have a multimeter, put the ground to ground, and with the positive lead test both sides of the fuse. You might have a blown fuse which is very difficult to see. The multimeter should let you know if all fuses are good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My opinion is to take the TH to either a dealer or a shop that you trust. If the security module is fried you need will need to reprogram the fobs after replacing.
I am sure you can find the parts need second hand.

If you have a multimeter, put the ground to ground, and with the positive lead test both sides of the fuse. You might have a blown fuse which is very difficult to see. The multimeter should let you know if all fuses are good.
All the under hood fuses are good, I went thru all those f#$&@rs hoping that was the case. I don't know about the relays. I'm hoping someone has the electrical layout so I can trace where the voltage stops and narrow it down from there.

Don't really want to take it to the dealership, but I'm afraid that's what I'll need to do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a very similar issue with my TH, I got it towed to a dealership and it turned out being rodent damage. They had eaten through multiple cables and fried the ECU.

It was not cheap to fix but the insurance paid for most of it.

·
Registered
'18 Rhino | Red Laguna
108 Posts
Might have missed it, but have you checked your fuses at the battery?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally heard from the dealership, multiple modules (PCM, ECM, BCM,etc..) not responding so they are writing up my quote for replacement of all of those so I can submit to insurance. They said nothing looked burnt (high current surge) so the lighting strike must have been close enough to create an EMP type pulse that knocked out the modules... I just hope all this stuff is available so I'm not down too long....

·
Registered
'18 Rhino | Red Laguna
108 Posts
Jesus. I can't imagine all of those going bad at once. I suppose it's possible, but not likely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts